80" Fusion

Re: 80" Fusion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:50 am

80" fusion also had an airfoiled horizontal stab. I didn't bother copying the rib outlines on it as I had planned to use a flat plate tail. I do have a copy of Steve's plans with the ribs and parts traced on to them. I don't have time right now to make additional copies though...

Maybe someday!
Wild Fred is the smartest man I know.... If you don't believe me just ask him!

Cappy needs a WF built L4 scheme Lazy Bee with ailerons.

B&E Graphix-> www.BandEGraphix.com
Planewrappers-> www.planewrappers.com
capthis
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:55 pm

I was already thinking about a airfoil tail sense the 67" version likes to flutter when pushed.I'm going to trace the rib outlines and just bump them up along with the fuse.Thanks
closetguy
closetguy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:58 pm

closetguy wrote:I was already thinking about a airfoil tail sense the 67" version likes to flutter when pushed.I'm going to trace the rib outlines and just bump them up along with the fuse.Thanks

Constrictor has at least one kit..... maybe you could offer him enough to sell it! :)

capthis
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:29 pm

closetguy wrote:I was already thinking about a airfoil tail sense the 67" version likes to flutter when pushed.I'm going to trace the rib outlines and just bump them up along with the fuse.Thanks

Making the tail surfaces stiffer helps with flutter. When I built The Big Tiddy on the stab not only did I sheet it with 1/16 balsa on both sides I also used a 3/8" carbon tube as a spar down the middle of the stab. I can say that after a bunch of flights on the plane the only flutter it ever had was on the rudder which was found to be from the junk solar 772 I had running it that had a ton of slop and no holding power.
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

Glitter55, Big Tiddy 55cc, VH Giles202. Stashed stix60, stix50, stix46

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:02 pm

capthis wrote:

Constrictor has at least one kit..... maybe you could offer him enough to sell it! :)

I would try,but he saw far enough into the future to by extra kits for a reason.And I don't think it was to sell them at a profit.
I think this idea of in larging the rib tracing will work,thats the only thing that held me back in the past.
Anyone know if the 80" had a foam fuse or was it a build up and a tube.
closetguy
closetguy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:18 pm

foam fuse.
"I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy."- jonathan livingston seagull.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:26 pm

check this out. especially the vid on page 9. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=22371&hilit=fusion
"I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy."- jonathan livingston seagull.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:44 pm

I might be able to trace some ribs when I'm not so busy.
1) Whistlepig Rye
2) Bookers
3) Blanton's
4) Bakers
5) John J Bowman
6) Woodford
7) Berheim's
8) Widow Jane
9) Black maple hill
Yoni
Dr Constrictor
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:17 am

I wouldn't want you to go to that much trouble.I think enlarging everything at the same percentage will work.
closetguy
closetguy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:48 am

closetguy wrote:I wouldn't want you to go to that much trouble.I think enlarging everything at the same percentage will work.

I've learned over the years a direct enlargement doesn't quite work out the way you think it will. For one the wing area goes up proportionally more than the size does, so you end up with more wing area than you think you are going to get. I'm sure there's a math formula and engineer could quote to help with this. Also your wing thickness gets increased as well which isn't always a good thing.

I took the LRC 40 size slick and blew the plans up 20% to make it DLE 20 sized. Now the plane flew well, but I didn't like how thick the wing got, and I had more square inches than I really originally wanted. It worked out well, but IF I had really known and thought about what I was doing I would of made some changes to the wing to keep those two things from happening.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all, just giving you a heads up! :)

capthis
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks for that information,always good to know what others have found out.
closetguy
closetguy
Pro Bro

Previous

Return to Ohio Model Products