30cc Primo Build

Put your build threads here. Give or get help from a Bro while building your bird.

30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:38 pm

After getting bored with my 30cc Ultra Stick, I decided I wanted a profile in a 30cc size. Loved my Primo Grande so I drew up a smaller version to fit the DLE35 on the US. Got all the parts cut out today. Having a CNC makes that job a whole lot easier! I tried to make it so there were no angled cuts on the sticks. Should be a real easy build.

WS is going to be around 68".

Pic of all the CNC parts:
20180811_162301_resized.jpg


Probably be a few more days before I start the actual build. Gotta get my build table set back up and find all my tools lol.
joebob
Pro Bro
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Crestview, Fl (Panhandle)

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement
 

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Way cool joebob. Looking at your lumber makes me wish I had CNC machine. Ruff cutting is okay but a CNC, wow that would be a rockin good tool to have. On the other hand I'd be so distracted I'd never finish all my other projects...

Keep the post coming.
Terrible T
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Looks good.
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

Glitter55, Big Tiddy 55cc, VH Giles202. Stashed stix60, stix50, stix46

Image
BalsaDust
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 6912
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Somewhere in the USA

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Very nice. What is the length?
Mojo 60 120AX BCP
MadYak 55AX CCP
Manta OS 55CCP
Crack Yak
Griffwerks Bipe
Sabre 35
Sbach 65 now OS GT22
Mojo 65 OS GT22
30-50CC fatties
DLG's rule
caf2461
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 811
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:48 pm
Location: Richmond VA

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:04 pm

caf2461 wrote:Very nice. What is the length?


Length is about 73" nose to rear of rudder. Somewhere around 1350 sq in of wing area, if I remember right maybe more because I don't remember the aileron size I figured into the calculation.

Edit. Just measured the plans again. 1425sq in.
joebob
Pro Bro
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Crestview, Fl (Panhandle)

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:25 pm

joebob wrote:
caf2461 wrote:Very nice. What is the length?


Length is about 73" nose to rear of rudder. Somewhere around 1350 sq in of wing area, if I remember right maybe more because I don't remember the aileron size I figured into the calculation.

Edit. Just measured the plans again. 1425sq in.




That’s more than the big tiddy has.
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

Glitter55, Big Tiddy 55cc, VH Giles202. Stashed stix60, stix50, stix46

Image
BalsaDust
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 6912
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Somewhere in the USA

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:54 am

So cool! Yo should do some video on the CNC of the kit :rockoncool: ... PRIMO 30 CC :drink:
Slabs: Once you go flat you never go back!

Present
Primo 60 Hazzbro EE60 or SU29 (Hopefully soon)
AJ ARS 300 86''
Chelo
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 830
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:21 pm

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:16 pm

Chelo wrote:So cool! Yo should do some video on the CNC of the kit :rockoncool: ... PRIMO 30 CC :drink:


If I cut another one, I'll try to do that. Not very interesting, though.
joebob
Pro Bro
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Crestview, Fl (Panhandle)

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:21 pm

joebob wrote:
Chelo wrote:So cool! Yo should do some video on the CNC of the kit :rockoncool: ... PRIMO 30 CC :drink:


If I cut another one, I'll try to do that. Not very interesting, though.


Do the video as a time lapse. 1 hour worth of cutting shown in 4 min.
The ZZ Top looking, anal Bastage Bro.

I fly just enough to stay rusty.
PAR
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 5445
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:34 pm
Location: USA-Texas-Houston

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:42 pm

I printed out the plans for the fuse by tiling them, but it looks like the printer wasn't really consistent between sheets. Think they will be close enough to build, but I definitely don't like piecing the pages together.
We have a huge printer at work now that could easily print it out, but the river on my PC didn't give me any option to select a custom size for the sheet. Gotta play around with it some later on and see if I can get it working.

Getting ready to order some aluminum for the landing gear. Figured I"d try making them myself. My big concern is bending the 1.5"x3/16" material without cracking it. I don't have a vise or anything else to hold it yet, but might pick one up. Been needing one for a long time.

Anyway, anyone got any tips for making a successful set of gear?
joebob
Pro Bro
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Crestview, Fl (Panhandle)

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:44 pm

Search the web for DIY sheet metal brakes - you won't need to build a full on metal brake to bend some gear, but you can get an idea how they work and cobble something together with some angle iron that'll do it.
Alice Cooper wrote:I got no friends cause they read the papers, they can't be seen with me

Ted Nugent wrote:The stakes are high and so am I, it's in the air tonight - It's a free for all!
ChuckAuger
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 15367
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:44 pm
Location: Texas

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:03 am

Finally got around to putting some glue on this build. I won't bore you with all the detail pics, but here's shot of the finished fuse. I used a cross between the Primo Grande and what I think is how the EEV2 is built. Never built one so I don't know for sure. Anyway, I used a dual tube setup that runs from nose to tail. Had to join a couple of tubes together because the only thing I found were 1 meter long ones. Front is a lite ply/balsa sandwich with tubes top and bottom. 1/2" ply in the area where the landing gear and firewall angle mount. The rest is 3/4" balsa. As you can see, for a fuse this size, it came out pretty light. Feels pretty stiff, though it can twist a little if you try hard enough. IF I build another one, or release the plans, I'm going to make some changes in the nose. and maybe add some tube huggers where they contact the crutch pieces to give a better mounting area for the doublers.

20180826_074907_resized.jpg

20180826_074922_resized.jpg


Probably start the stab and elevators tomorrow, or maybe tonight once it cools down.
joebob
Pro Bro
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Crestview, Fl (Panhandle)

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:11 am

Very cool.
Tim
RMM

Hanger All E
75” 3D Hobby Shop Edge
GBR 32 Foamy
SBach 65
Slide 48
PBF- Thanks Zamfir
84" Turbo Bushmaster
ozzy
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 5106
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:26 pm
Location: USA - WY - Cheyenne

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:13 am

Nice work.
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

Glitter55, Big Tiddy 55cc, VH Giles202. Stashed stix60, stix50, stix46

Image
BalsaDust
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 6912
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:33 am
Location: Somewhere in the USA

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:44 pm

Very cool! :tu:
Motowncali
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 4340
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:17 pm
Location: Crowley, TX

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:14 pm

joebob wrote:I printed out the plans for the fuse by tiling them, but it looks like the printer wasn't really consistent between sheets. Think they will be close enough to build, but I definitely don't like piecing the pages together.
We have a huge printer at work now that could easily print it out, but the river on my PC didn't give me any option to select a custom size for the sheet. Gotta play around with it some later on and see if I can get it working.

Getting ready to order some aluminum for the landing gear. Figured I"d try making them myself. My big concern is bending the 1.5"x3/16" material without cracking it. I don't have a vise or anything else to hold it yet, but might pick one up. Been needing one for a long time.

Anyway, anyone got any tips for making a successful set of gear?


If you get the correct aluminum it wont crack. Im not a metalurgist so I dont know what you need. The stuff at lowes an home depot always cracks. For my last to 50cc birds I went to the local fab shop, told the guy what I was doing, he sold me enough for two sets for $20. No cracking. Also, you can get an aluminum blade for a table saw, cuts it like butter, leaves a nice clean edge.

Primo is looking good :rockon:
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: Napa, CA

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:57 pm

I ended up ordering enough for 3 sets from stockcarsteel.com. Finally bought a vise and was able to bend them up easily. They ended up with a fairly large radius so they should be fine. I also cut them to shape on the cnc. Worked out great.
joebob
Pro Bro
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Crestview, Fl (Panhandle)

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:59 am

joebob wrote:After getting bored with my 30cc Ultra Stick, I decided I wanted a profile in a 30cc size. Loved my Primo Grande so I drew up a smaller version to fit the DLE35 on the US. Got all the parts cut out today. Having a CNC makes that job a whole lot easier! I tried to make it so there were no angled cuts on the sticks. Should be a real easy build.

WS is going to be around 68".

Pic of all the CNC parts:
20180811_162301_resized.jpg


Probably be a few more days before I start the actual build. Gotta get my build table set back up and find all my tools lol.

I am new to this style of building, really looking forward to your build, Tks. for sharing.
"Falcon"
"A"2/12 4TH ID
"B" 4/31 196lib.
11b40 (Infantry sq. ldr)
Nam vet 66-67

Be who you are, say what you will;
Those that matter won't mind,
Those that mind, don't matter.
Falcon
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:02 am
Location: Elberton Ga.

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:48 pm

This won't be a typical build thread with a ton of pics for each construction step. I'm trying a few different things on this one to see how they work out. If successful, I may do another one with more details. The way I did this one, the 12mm tubes are a little loose in the fuse channels. I've ordered a 12mm ball nose bit for my CNC that will be able to make some nice tube huggers and cure that problem. Right now, the tubes run all the way to the nose, which I don't think is really necessary since everything forward of the firewall is cosmetic anyway. I do like the way the rest of the fuse went together, and may add even more CNC parts.

Got the stab and elevators ready to glue when I get home tonight. Unfortunately, I'm using my CNC as a base for my build table and I forgot to cut the elevator joiner so I'll have to move everything off it to get that cut first. All this was a lot easier when I had my build room in the house!
joebob
Pro Bro
 
Posts: 5148
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:18 pm
Location: Crestview, Fl (Panhandle)

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:22 pm

Lookin' good so far. :tu:
The ZZ Top looking, anal Bastage Bro.

I fly just enough to stay rusty.
PAR
Pro Bro
 
User avatar
 
Posts: 5445
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:34 pm
Location: USA-Texas-Houston

Next

Return to Kit / ARF Build Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest