30cc Primo Build

Put your build threads here. Give or get help from a Bro while building your bird.

Re: 30cc Primo Build

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:00 pm

Just my two cents, I think this was the fastest and best option really. With a shorter nose moment to the gyroscopic prop... it should flip better too. :shock: Keep us posted!
Motowncali
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:13 am

Gonna finish up the surgery when I get home. Need to recover the exposed wood pieces and fix a couple issues that resulted from hanging in the shed for the last two years. Looks like the neoprene tubing in the fuel tank expanded and now the clunk is stuck in the back of the tank. I ordered a new one just to have on hand, and a rx battery in case the current one is dead for any reason. If all goes well, I may be ready to re-maiden this weekend.
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:20 am

Keep us posted with a flight report :tu:
Heinz57
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 pm

hey, isn't shortening the nose pauls/wrongways/wild fred's intellectual property? :x :wtf: :deadhorse:

:rofl:
Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

No matter how wrong they are.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:16 pm

I hope not since I did that to Crappy Cappys Suk-it 29....

The RadYak47 V1 looked like a control line combat motor mount the nose was so short.. :tu: :cash:

It’s on the Bro forum, there is nothing intellectual about any of this....
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:56 pm

just stirring up old shit! joebob will get it, i actually have the same opinion you do; most stuff not really new, just recombinant of old ideas.

except my foam stuff. that's all original... well, a ripoff of ace foam wings techniques...see? :lol:

Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:08 pm

Wild Fred wrote:just stirring up old shit! joebob will get it, i actually have the same opinion you do; most stuff not really new, just recombinant of old ideas.

except my foam stuff. that's all original... well, a ripoff of ace foam wings techniques...see? :lol:

Yeah, I got it lol.
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:23 pm

joebob wrote:I got my EE son working on the formula now! Went ahead and cut it back 2". Just have to get everything mounted back on the fuse now.

Can't spell Geek without an "EE".

Mechanical Engineers and Aerospace Engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build targets.
Doug B

To those in the military who serve, both past and present, to defend my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a wonderful life so far.
Doug B
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:09 pm

Motowncali wrote:I hope not since I did that to Crappy Cappys Suk-it 29....

The RadYak47 V1 looked like a control line combat motor mount the nose was so short.. :tu: :cash:

It’s on the Bro forum, there is nothing intellectual about any of this....

Yup, designed for a YS :mrgreen:
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:19 pm

Doug B wrote:
joebob wrote:I got my EE son working on the formula now! Went ahead and cut it back 2". Just have to get everything mounted back on the fuse now.

Can't spell Geek without an "EE".

Mechanical Engineers and Aerospace Engineers build weapons. Civil engineers build targets.

How well said,how much money pissed away,why cant we all get along. Power,greed,religion,hell lets make one up,blow up any who dont conform. The only peace comes when we are prepared,to fight for it. Leave me alone,i do the same for you.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Location: 1 mile from lake Thurmond 15miles north of augusta ga.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:35 am

Took the Primo out this morning. Too cold. No one else at the field. Fiddled with the engine for a little bit but couldn't get it to fire, so I packed up and came home. Will try again when it's warmer. Maybe. Looking at the plane, I really just don't like how I built it. Fuse proportions are wrong. Still had to add 4oz to the tail to get it close to balancing. Also twists a lot. Wings don't fit the fuse properly. Got at least 1/4" gap at the TE due to misalignment of the anti-rotation pins. Wing attachment sucks. I used one bolt just behind the tube and it won't pull the gaps out. Also think I made the ailerons too big. Can't get it to flat spin because it keeps rolling out, even with less aileron movement. Hatch is flimsy and easily broken.

Thinking about just scrapping it and doing something else. If I rebuild it it , I may use WF's foam fuse design. That way, I can put all gear in the fuse instead of having it in the wing where I have to plug in a ton of wires every time I put it together. I ordered one of those Value Hobby Giant Sticks to have something to fly for a while. Gonna put the gear from the Primo in it for the time being.
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:52 am

foam is the future!!! :lol:

the wildcrazed setup with the 1/4x1/8 bass sticks edging the ply crutch taped with fiber tape over that is a good cheap setup.

not hooks proof, but close.. and easy to fix when he breaks it! a couple ply pieces sandwiched top and bottom of break in slots cut with a sawzall blade, a little poly glue, back in business- and the break absorbs the shock, much cheaper to fix than bent crankshafts, broken swervos, etc.

Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:54 am

i think a 30cc 2" thick foam fuse with the dowelled ply front box, etc. would be more solid, lot less vibration, all around better. look at wild hooker for the wing tube setup if you using 2 piece wings, that came out perfect and wasn't all that hard. still got a set of the hk wing tubes, no need on 20cc, but on 30 would come in handy. heck, if you need them will sell for 5 bucks plus shipping.

Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:18 pm

Some times a build just dont work out,or our heart just not in it. Set it aside,wait a bit,come back with new hope and you have learned a bit more for next one. Bet its not that bad,just short of your expections. Next time.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:44 pm

sparkplug wrote:Some times a build just dont work out,or our heart just not in it. Set it aside,wait a bit,come back with new hope and you have learned a bit more for next one. Bet its not that bad,just short of your expections. Next time.

Yeah, the 50cc Primo came out great and built easy. I tried to do a few things different on this one and didn't get the rigidity in the fuse I wanted. Need to move the wing 1" forward to get the CG right, and mount the landing gear lower to give more ground clearance. Primos sit too level so they tend to hug the ground on takeoff. I always had to use flaps to get mine to rotate.

WF, thinking real hard about doing the foam fuse. Trying to figure out how to do it without using any balsa, or at least as little as possible since I don't have any. Gave my whole stash away last year to a buddy. My local Lowes and HD don't carry 2" foam, so I figure maybe using a 1" sheet of blue foam and doubling it up, then using two spars made from that utility ply, or as close as I can find to it, with some reinforcements in the engine, wing and stab area.
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:56 pm

Foam core fuse with ar on toe wrapped on a 45 bias, then sheeted makes for a stiff fuse. Talked Chris through it when he did the 50cc big tiddy
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:51 pm

I'm sure it would, but like I said, I want to try to use as little balsa as possible cause I don't have any. Ordered some to build a Mojo60 and it was over $100 minimum.
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Foam Sucks :loser: :thumbdown:

:beerchug:
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:25 pm

Its not like balsa ,i guess it has a place,but i to miss glueing wood.i be trying to give it a chance,WF says,foam is future,well maybe,then again i be 20 years behind.Balsa is nice.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:18 am

balsa prices suck.

foam is good if you learn proper techniques. foam for dummies thread can even show steve how! :lol:

Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PreviousNext

Return to Kit / ARF Build Threads