Anybody wanna see a Fusion 75?

So, you think you're a builder?

Re: Anybody wanna see a Fusion 75?

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:05 pm

Here's second prototype fuse in progress. It's about 1lb lighter and even without the second skin applied, is pretty rigid.. Still need to figure out how I'm going to add the landing gear block. Tubes are installed with tube huggers on the inside.

20210507_212733_resized.jpg

20210507_212743_resized.jpg

20210507_212751_resized.jpg

20210507_212801_resized.jpg
joebob
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:05 pm

better! keep trying new things, don't get in the rut of conventionality. dare to try weird stuff!
"you didn't add strength. you added WEIGHT"- w.f.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:07 pm

for gear mount, i did 1/8 ply skins on the wildcrazed, then drilled several 1/4" holes and inserted dowels and gorilla glued and sanded flush. worked pretty well! smacked it dead stick hard once, just inserted several new dowels, sanded them flush. is fine now. pretty simple and strong.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:52 pm

Did a mockup of your I beam design. 1in foam with a 3/4" 5mm ply spar, 1in lite ply glued to the edge and inset into the foam so it was flush. Very good bend resistance, but there was some twist. Maybe two spars would be stiffer, but weight builds up.
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:48 am

yeah, i used 2 in the 20cc ones. i'd use 1/8x1/4 basswood for the ibeam, stuff is strong! you can also just fiber tape over the spar, too. plenty strong for dork it dan type crashes. and not too heavy. try double spar/tape, 2" fuse tapered to 3/4 at rear- use the 2 stringers as a guide for hotwiring fuse wedge, then slice apart and install them and mount assembly. i cut fuse apart on the table saw on big ones, makes straight smooth cut. gluing/taping stringers, they don't break easy and very rigid.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 12:30 pm

While i know carbon tubes will shatter,in the goal of saving weight,would not they help. Could put them at very top and bottom of fuze,easy to change if needed. Add a break point behind wing,no down side. But what the hay,plug dont know nothing.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Location: 1 mile from lake Thurmond 15miles north of augusta ga.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:29 pm

Couple more flights on the Fusion Saturday. It has a bad tendency to drop the right wing when pulling hard on the elevator. Also Would like it to have more wing area for low and slow. This one is right at 1300sq in. Would rather it be about 1500 with the lighter weight.

Proto fuse #2 done. Final weight: 1lb 10oz. 11oz lighter than proto #1 Still very stiff. Replacing the front nose pieces with foam would knock off about 2oz but other than that, not much meat to cut anywhere else. Might try one more design using unsheeted foam with either a couple of I beams, CF tubes, or CF strip. If nothing else, I'm learning something.
20210510_191450_resized.jpg
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:00 pm

Looks good and at 1pound 11oz that be fairly light,how much would cf tubes save,3or4 oz. Well you trying hard,and we all be learning from you. Maybe the masters find a few oz for you to remove. Watching close,few more pics be nice. :tu: :tu:
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:24 am

joebob wrote:Couple more flights on the Fusion Saturday. It has a bad tendency to drop the right wing when pulling hard on the elevator. Also Would like it to have more wing area for low and slow. This one is right at 1300sq in. Would rather it be about 1500 with the lighter weight.

Proto fuse #2 done. Final weight: 1lb 10oz. 11oz lighter than proto #1 Still very stiff. Replacing the front nose pieces with foam would knock off about 2oz but other than that, not much meat to cut anywhere else. Might try one more design using unsheeted foam with either a couple of I beams, CF tubes, or CF strip. If nothing else, I'm learning something.
20210510_191450_resized.jpg

:rockoncool:
athol probro stickbangers club

"There is room in the Hood for everyone, but not everybody finds a home in the Hood"
- goofy-

"Best part is if you dork a harrier from a few feet up, it's like a decent CJ landing" -steener-
doinkedit
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:26 am

sparkplug wrote:Looks good and at 1pound 11oz that be fairly light,how much would cf tubes save,3or4 oz. Well you trying hard,and we all be learning from you. Maybe the masters find a few oz for you to remove. Watching close,few more pics be nice. :tu: :tu:

There's tubes in both prototypes. Each tube weighs 1.8oz. The CF strips I used in proto #1 only weighs 1oz. The issue with them is that they only provide bend resistance in one direction. Sandwiching them between two balsa stringers would help, but then weight creeps back up.
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:28 am

Not much to cut there is it. Would increasing lift help your goals,thicker wing or added wing tips,although thats not going help in hover. 6in wing tips could add 150in of wing,adding 2in to cord would do the same,both,well. Where are the masters,a bro needs help,hes trying hard. :tu: :tu:
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:31 pm

No one to give him so uplifting,i will,at least your trying,and very hard. Good looking work to,do your best and go fly that plane,then think some more about it. You say it falls off on one wing,have you tried with power and without,might be a trim thing. :tu: :tu: I hear some guys not build a plane in years,superglued to couch,pw,or playing with sex toys. :rockoncool: :rockoncool:
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:13 am

Seems tp do it no matter the power setting, I had this exact same issue with an EF Yak years ago. Never figured out the problem. Finally sold the plane lol.

At any rate, I'm building a new set of wings also. Want more squares to get the wing loading down. Adding about 350sq in and removing 1.5 lbs should make it float more like I want it to.
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 3:22 pm

More cord gets extra boost,so what you do with all these parts you built,make a plane for windy days,or flying extra low and pushing it. OR a trainer for new guys,still fly better than most fattes. A sad thing,all a man learns he takes with him,well a bunch any way,but its fun trying to be better,and beats sitting on the couch. :tu:
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:54 pm

How about that fusion,get to fly it sunday.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:47 am

Flew it a couple more times yesterday. Tuned the ailerons some and it was better. Had some differential in them due to the control horns not lining up with the hinge line. It will still snap out of maneuvers if you're going too slow, but not as bad.

Waiting on the wood to get here for the new wings and then I'll get back on construction.
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:02 pm

AT first glance,a rc plane seems simple,but the more you know,the more you understand you dont know about air flow. Get it right,a dream,bit wrong,a pain. And Straightup is correct,little things make great planes. I dont have the patience i did,and it shows. I set the al even with wings on mojo,reset with 2 degrees up,flys better now,dont know why.Even moving cg 1/2 inch can make it better,or a prop. Learn and relearn,till get it right,or best i can. Or beat up them that wont behave,get a new one. Will WF bring enlightenment to me,maybe,not much left to work with,even the force needs something to work with.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:24 am

You know JoBob,get WF and Hooks to help you,plane be fixed in no time at all,easy to load to in car. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :beer: :beer: :exactly: :rofl:
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:58 am

ok, wf on board. me and joebob make the shit, i tell him where he fuck up, he has the cnc and all the tech shit. always works best, we want same goal, different method... with both, we break the barrier.

hooks can helpl too, but it will break in half first flight... just sayin'... :lol
:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T25skvjGIY4

it was a little nose heavy... flew better after crutch splices. sold it to thom, he put new swervos and didn't loctite... same shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjhWfLL7aGA

flew better after the repair! sold it to tenacious e at nash, he flew shit outa it and loved it.

now, the build thread on here. foam with ply at stress points, no sheeting. thing was TOUGH! and so light that after 2 major smacks was now the weight of a new off the bench plane.

again, wf design, ply spars on foam with covering is more than needed.build the fusion like the wildcrazed and enjoy. it's the shizznet.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:11 pm

Wild Fred wrote:ok, wf on board. me and joebob make the shit, i tell him where he fuck up, he has the cnc and all the tech shit. always works best, we want same goal, different method... with both, we break the barrier.

hooks can helpl too, but it will break in half first flight... just sayin'... :lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T25skvjGIY4

it was a little nose heavy... flew better after crutch splices. sold it to thom, he put new swervos and didn't loctite... same shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjhWfLL7aGA

flew better after the repair! sold it to tenacious e at nash, he flew shit outa it and loved it.

now, the build thread on here. foam with ply at stress points, no sheeting. thing was TOUGH! and so light that after 2 major smacks was now the weight of a new off the bench plane.

again, wf design, ply spars on foam with covering is more than needed.build the fusion like the wildcrazed and enjoy. it's the shizznet.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PreviousNext

Return to New or Experimental Designs