Anybody wanna see a Fusion 75?

So, you think you're a builder?

Re: Anybody wanna see a Fusion 75?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:30 am

And i thought foam was easy,ummmm.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Location: 1 mile from lake Thurmond 15miles north of augusta ga.

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:04 am

I did wallow out the holes a little (about 1/16" on each panel) to get the cores to line up. Just need to cut the root ribs and get them glued on so I can start getting things lined up properly.

Regarding the CF strips. I have 4ea .8mmx25mmx1000mm strips. At first, I was going to make a beam with the CF sandwiched between 1/4" balsa strips. You think that's necessary? Or can I forego the balsa and just glue the CF to the crutch and foam?
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:15 am

it'll work either way. i'd do it easiest way on the prototype for sure. if not strong enough- although it'll be anything but hooks proof- i'd glue c/f strips down fuse both sides. run sawzall blade along bottom of strips- or even bottom and top of strips- do 1 at a time!- and shove 1/16 balsa crossgrain in the slot, brushed with poly glue. how effing strong would that be, sheeted fuse, crossgrain i beam, c/f at joints??? and how much weight would it add? practically nothing.

you do it top and bottom of c/f, that's a box spar. thing WOULD be hooks proof... and that's saying a lot! :lol:

i think drilling tube holes 1/16 oversize and letting poly glue fill probably best, it'd be easy to set it exactly right, and the poly glue will make a hardened sleeve for the socket. no problem, just again- get the right amount to do the job but not foam everywhere! :lol:

can you imagine how strong/stiff the fuse gonna be with the crossgrain shear webs? beats hell outa liteply. and lighter. use the grain!
"you didn't add strength. you added WEIGHT"- w.f.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:20 am

to quote the master, "may the grain be with you"!

he's got the old school engineering, using natural strength of the wood in a way we can understand it. I learned a lot from him.

although every time you see him, he cuts himself! :lol: his shit's sharp, though...he's got a lot of info on sharpening, too... even if he is a klutz!!! :P
Attachments
Mezzanine_853.jpg
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:00 am

There will be blood,every time he cuts,he gets cut. You think he would find new hobby, like star watching.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:14 pm

yeah, but it's in his nature to work wood... mine, too... you wouldn't believe the shit i've built.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:16 pm

Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:21 pm

Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:23 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25858&hilit=surfboard

just some quick off the cuff shit i've posted here.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:02 pm

Wild Fred wrote:it'll work either way. i'd do it easiest way on the prototype for sure. if not strong enough- although it'll be anything but hooks proof- i'd glue c/f strips down fuse both sides. run sawzall blade along bottom of strips- or even bottom and top of strips- do 1 at a time!- and shove 1/16 balsa crossgrain in the slot, brushed with poly glue. how effing strong would that be, sheeted fuse, crossgrain i beam, c/f at joints??? and how much weight would it add? practically nothing.

you do it top and bottom of c/f, that's a box spar. thing WOULD be hooks proof... and that's saying a lot! :lol:

can you imagine how strong/stiff the fuse gonna be with the crossgrain shear webs? beats hell outa liteply. and lighter. use the grain!

Sounds like a Stralis xt on steroids. We used a carbon strip on each side of the fuse between the foam and the sheeting. Made a stout fuse. Adding the cross grain would really beef it up. With the added bonus of torsion rigidity. :tu:
The ZZ Top looking, anal Bastage Bro.

I fly just enough to stay rusty.
PAR
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:57 am

After getting the root ribs cut, I realized that the hole isn't as off as I thought. Should be a simple thing to get everything lined up like it should be. As soon as my new tube gets here I'll get back on the project. BTW, the wing tube from the Hangar 9 XCub 60cc is the same 1.25" diameter I've been using. Tower had them in stock for $12 + $4 shipping. Cheaper than I could have gotten one from Stock Car Steel, where I usually get tubes from.

This weekend I'm going to TRY to get my workbench cleared off so I can start on the fuse. Hopefully pics will be more plentiful when I start that part of the build.
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:35 am

cool!

yeah, i think the shear web in slot easy and add a lot of strength.

i was getting my tubes from hk. c/f. still got a set around here somewhere. tower tube sounds like a good deal.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:20 pm

Got the bench cleaned off and started working on the fuse. 1/8" AC ply sides on crutch w/ balsa filler. Pine beams that run from the front to a few inches behind the wing, plus a pine block behind firewall and landing gear area. CF strips will run from the rear of the LG plate to wherever it ends on the bottom of the crutch, and from the front to 1000mm back on top. I left a 1/2" space to run the servo wires from the tail mount to the rear hole in the crutch, plus another one from the front servo mount. I think I will recut the foam center piece that goes from the crutch tot he tail because I forgot to make the cutout for the balsa stab mount.

20210402_224726_resized.jpg

20210402_225739_resized.jpg

20210402_225752_resized.jpg

20210402_225820_resized.jpg

The wing will mount via tabs on the root ribs. Bolt through the tab on one side, through the fuse, and into a T nut on the other side rib. I really hated fooling with hatches and trying to get my hands inside to tighten wing nuts.

20210402_231704_resized.jpg
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:37 am

yeah, i think you got it figured out. be sure to put some balsa in the stab mount! i'd use a piece twice as long as stab chord at least, inlaid into foam, then box off that. spread the load.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:32 am

Wing tube turned out to be a bust. Apparently, the tolerance isn't all that great, as it's just a hair oversize and won't fit in the sleeve I have. Going to try sanding it down and also using a sanding mop to enlarge the sleeve slightly. Hopefully after waxing it down it will slide in easier. (No jokes, please)

Got the fuse ready to sheet. It's already pretty stiff, so with the sheeting it should be rock solid. Sitting at 1lb 12oz now. With sheeting and glue, it will probably to up to 2lbs 6oz at least. Wings are right at 3lbs. If I keep this under 12lbs I'll be lucky.

20210406_211308_resized.jpg

20210406_211320_resized.jpg

CF Strips worked out great. I ran them from nose to tail. Since they were only 39" long, I used two pieces on top and bottom of the crutch and overlapped them 5". Ran a strip of 1/8" balsa around the perimeter to give the sheeting something solid to grab to and also allow easier rounding.
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:55 pm

Dont feel bad,mine always heavy,even if i buy it,try try again. We learn each time how to get better,big plane its got some forgiveness unlike the small ones.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:01 pm

Sheeting is on. Second side drying now. The first side added about 5oz to the fuse. If the second side is the same, it should come out around 2lbs 6oz. We'll see.

I found a 1 1/8" dowel at Lowes so I wrapped some sandpaper around it and sanded out the wing tube sleeves. Got them opened up enough that the tube would slide in without much effort. But to be on the safe side I ordered a few tubes from StockCarSteel to have for later builds.

Maybe start the tail surfaces tonight. If I can clean off enough of a flat surface to do it!
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:54 pm

Ever had a kit go together with ease,just blip along and everything fit,even the glue behaved,well this ant it. Hang in there,you will win,we see the love and care you putting in. We all,or at least i have fought just like you to get it right. Wf and MO make it look so easy,but then there the pros at building. Thanks for sharing the real world build for a regular guy trying out the box build.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:22 am

it's looking great!
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:04 pm

So, fuse and wings together weigh 5lbs 5oz. Pretty porky. I see where I can probably shave 1/2lb out of the wings by removing the foam between the cap strips and using a 1/8" ply root rib instead of 1/4". Reason for the 1/4" is that I ran out of 1/8" and I'm using tabs to hold the wings on and felt that the 1/4" would be much less prone to snapping off. Thinking about adding some holes to the ailerons too, which could save another couple ounces. One big weight saver would be to go with built up ailerons with a much thinner wing. Root is about 3.25" on this one. With built up ailerons I could prob get it to 2-2.5". Less foam and less sheeting would help a lot.

Fuse I'm pretty happy with. It's a little heavy (2lb 5oz) but it's stiff as a board and zero twist. Don't see much way of removing any significant weight.
joebob
Pro Bro

PreviousNext

Return to New or Experimental Designs