hobby or boyz with toyz?

This is the place to hang and talk.

hobby or boyz with toyz?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:09 pm

you know, planes have always been my thing. building/flying rubber band then c/l then r/c. a creative thing, i take sticks, foam, whatever and make a flying machine.

that's the way it was for years.

now, it's buy a toy, fly it, beat on the china importer if it's not up to your play standards...

i produced the ferro for years. every one hand built by me. no templates, cheap labor, etc.

guys would call me, trying to get a free plane... one snapped on takeoff... guys in his club, a dozen who were combatting my arc ferros, told me " don't sell him one, the guy's an idiot"... yeah, they were right.

another told me the firewall pulled out, and it landed in the lake ruining everything. talked to him about "defects" in mfgr... i'm the mfgr... he admitted he dumped it the flight before. and flew without checking out.

how many of us are modelers, and how many are adult children playing with expensive toys?

i ask because here is the most modelers i seen. i get pissed off at rest of sites, only share my wisdom here as most get it.

rcpoo, groups, etc. guys are cherry boys.

i dunno, rant off. i just see as i get older the world changes and the things i thought were important are now obsolete. I could be wrong! :lol:

just w.f. reflecting on things.
"you didn't add strength. you added WEIGHT"- w.f.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: hobby or boyz with toyz?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:12 pm

i need to go to a fly in and have a good time with goat boyz and other free spirits, i think! :lol:
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:44 pm

Yep,the world as a group sucks,lots of dum dums out there. Look at history,on tv,it shows we repeat,let evil grow unchecked,takes a war to fix it. Pisses me off,think man,a man who wont read is no better than a man who cant. Now,we are big boys with bit of cash,living the dream we had as boys,to fly unchecked by strings. Seeking the best of plane and man,using our brains,exercising them,to be better in all things,for wisdom comes from understanding,and there be a lot to learn that can be applied to every day life. Yep,big boys have big toys,but playing in the sand pile still fun,if you got a buddy. But who wants a fool for a buddy,so here it is,bros are smart,they build planes cause they can,they think. Thats why NO SPELL PLUG hangs out with you guys,you guys are winners,lets play in the sand together and learn to be better men in a world of fools.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Location: 1 mile from lake Thurmond 15miles north of augusta ga.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:49 pm

sparkplug wrote:Yep,the world as a group sucks,lots of dum dums out there. Look at history,on tv,it shows we repeat,let evil grow unchecked,takes a war to fix it. Pisses me off,think man,a man who wont read is no better than a man who cant. Now,we are big boys with bit of cash,living the dream we had as boys,to fly unchecked by strings. Seeking the best of plane and man,using our brains,exercising them,to be better in all things,for wisdom comes from understanding,and there be a lot to learn that can be applied to every day life. Yep,big boys have big toys,but playing in the sand pile still fun,if you got a buddy. But who wants a fool for a buddy,so here it is,bros are smart,they build planes cause they can,they think. Thats why NO SPELL PLUG hangs out with you guys,you guys are winners,lets play in the sand together and learn to be better men in a world of fools.

only problem is, when i in the sandbox, the cats keep trying to bury me! :lol:
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:39 pm

22mag,works on all kinds of cats. One shot,all critters run for cover at my house,even goats self load in pen. Sand box stays clean if scoundrels removed. Clean sand a must,dont want my toys dirty.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:20 pm

I hate the fact that kits are pretty much gone. Used to go into a hobby shop (which are few and far between now, too) and pick a kit from the wall. No ARFS to be found, and if you did find one, it was a piece of crap.

I started flying control line with a Cox PT-19 trainer. Moved up to a Messerschmitt 109 stunter, then on to a Goldberg Lil Wizard and Lil Jumping Bean. First big plane was the Goldberg Buster with a Fox 35. Finally got my first RC when I was in high school. Hobby Lobby Pappilon with a Cox Sanwa 2ch radio. Taught myself to fly with it. Later got a Goldberg Skylark 56 MKII and a Futaba 4ch AM system. Been flying now for over 40 years. Countless planes, almost all of them built from a kit.

ARFs have been a boon for new flyers, but they have also destroyed a part of the hobby I have always enjoyed. To me, building a plane from scratch or a kit is just as enjoyable as actually flying.
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:05 pm

my first c/l build was a lil jumping bean. i learned r/c on a tf headmaster, but my friends learned on a pappilon. they used to flat spin it to land!
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:35 pm

Wild Fred wrote:my first c/l build was a lil jumping bean. i learned r/c on a tf headmaster, but my friends learned on a pappilon. they used to flat spin it to land!

My Pappilon would thermal pretty darn good. I remember once I caught one and stayed up for almost an hour. Had a Cox Black Widow on it. Got the plans for it on my computer. Might have to build an electric one one day.

First time I flew that lil jumping bean I dang near screwed myself into the ground! It was fast with the shorter lines! I used Silkspan and dope back then. Monokote was way too expensive for me!
joebob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:12 am

me, too. after i crashed and repaired mine, i covered it with tissue paper from the bottom of my dresser drawer! remember the hobby shop selling moneykote by the foot? got an os 15 and a ringmaster jr. flash 1 christmas, and 3 feet of tranny yellow mono. i was big time then!
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:39 am

When I was 5 years old my dad started flying RC. His first airplane was a headmaster which he tried to fly without help and it ended up in pieces. He then built a Sig Kadet and learned to fly, then my older brother learned on the Kadet then a few years later I had my turn with the Kadet. There was a lot of building and flying of airplanes in my house growing up.
My first airplane was a cox PT-19, my brother and I flew that thing until it was about worn out. Back then we could not fly rc at home so control line was the only option when we were not able to make it to the flying field. We built combat kittens which were a blast.
When I turned 16 and got my drivers license I was excited because I could drive myself to the flying field. That was when I really got into rc. I was going to the flying field several times a week and started building a lot of airplanes. Back then I can remember building airplanes from start to finish in less than 2 weeks. I have no idea how many airplanes I built back then. I have always loved building as much if not more than flying. I always keep something on the bench and usually have thoughts of new designs going through my head. I have several designs that I have never even started building, one day when I retire I will get back to building like I use to.
If I could not build I would probably not stay in the hobby.
Doug G Designs & Kit Cutting
Doug G
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:21 am

I too started with control line. My first airplane was a Cox P51 Miss America. To fly it I had to wait for when my dad would take me to my uncles house for instruction. Being an all plastic airplane it didn't last long. I built and flew many Sterling 1/2A plank airplanes, plus a Carl Goldberg Lil' Satan. My final control line model was a 1/2A Top Flight P51. I also built and flew a R/C version of it later. The first R/C airplane I flew was a Testors single channel wig wag system that belonged to my fore mentioned uncle. The local club was setting up for a pattern contest at the local airport and I was hanging out. He ask if I wanted to fly it, and what kid would have said no? He launched the airplane and got it maybe 50 foot in the air and handed me the controls. he told me to fly in figure 8 patterns and keep it in a certain area. He watch me for a little bit, and then said holler at me when the engine quits and walked off. When the engine quit I hollered, and he said keep flying figure 8's, and eventually walked over, took the controls and landed. I think it was for my 12th birthday that I got a Futaba 4 channel radio for my birthday. It was late in the year and I wanted to be flying right away. My uncle and a friend ran a small hobby shop out of a basement. His friend knew I was getting the radio, and had ordered a Cox Sportavia with me in mind. That was my first R/C airplane. My first kit was an Ace Wizard built over the following winter. I built a few kits after that, but then started designing and building my own airplanes, because the kit airplanes didn't do what I wanted. My first profile was a Morris So-do-khoi shortly after they were introduced. I haven't been doing much lately. The last airplane I built was a F3P indoor pattern plane made out of thin carbon fiber rods and tubes with a coaxial drive. It weighed in at a heavy 43 grams.
3Dreaming
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:36 am

yeah, had combat cats, kittens, lil'satan, bunch of plan built fast richard stuff. sig stuff. lot of fun.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:46 am

Ace wizard,great 1/2 plane,with td,was a great. 16 i was hot rod cars and girls,planes would have been cheaper.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:27 pm

i did a whole bunch of ace stuff through the years. the techniques for ace foam wings is about what i use now.

the ace wings worked, but dense. shitty mold halves, didn't align most times. way too thick for 1/2a. but they were all we had.

what i do now fixes all that. the foam slick, for example, same basic construction but waay lighter. can you imagine the wizard at 14 oz. or so?

had a mach none with st 15 and pipe once. the ultimates on norvel 25's were great fliers. corsair with 074. lot of simple series, then started using wings and making my own stuff. had a suky with a quart bleach bottle cowl, cap 232 with custom glass cowl laid up over styro then melted styro out. always liked small stuff, more of a challenge.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:35 pm

Tower hobbys,1980s open up rc for me,the catalog was great,what a simple time it was.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:31 pm

My father bought out a hobby store in Portland, OR back in the late 50's or early 60's and brought it all back to our house in Eastern Washington. He died in '66 when I was only 4. All of his planes, the hobby shop kits, tools, Du-Bro packages were still there when we cleaned out the attic in 2002. I grew up with all of the dope, silk, Ambroid, balsa, kits and engines just sitting their waiting to be used. I didn't know how to start an ignition engine and couldn't tell which ones were worth using. When I got older, I traded them for a Kraft 4 channel that I never used. I regret that decision, but I had a Kraft radio and still do. Might as well be a boat anchor now. I didn't trade for ALL of the engines. I did keep a few but those have gone missing now too. Ohlsson and Rice, Torpedo, Anderson, McCoy, Atom and a few others. Wish I still had those. I did keep the Morton Radial, but there was no display box for it. It's mounted on a Stearman that was painted just like the real one he flew. I think he even used the same paint on both?

I always wondered how much buying out a hobby shop cost and where he got that money? I guess he was doing all right as a crop duster, tow pilot, charter service, instructor and had ratings for everything after the war. I was kind of intimidated by all of those kits and his building ability. I still don't have his ability to build or his patience. The only flying I remember was watching him hand launch a Thermic 100 glider in our backyard out into the alfalfa field. I think it was a one channel?

I finally started flying control line in Jr. High. I convinced a friend that model railroading was boring! LOL!! He even admits, I saved him from a life of model railroading. We built planes and loved the Top Flight Flite Streak. We had the 1/2 size, .15 size and even a .35 size. We even tested the 1/2 version with flaps. It was pretty funny to see a loop in a 6 foot circle and it just looked like it was stalling all the way around. I finally got in to r/c in my early 30's. When I moved to Spokane, I convinced him to jump to RC and got him started with the good stuff. We flew for years and still do when we are in the same town.

I was getting bored of R/C and then I found 3D and the hood. I still can't fly worth crap, but I try. Someday I might grasp rolling harriers and hovering. I keep trying and will as I enter retirement this summer! Can't wait!
Home of the Snow-Ass Mojo!
Charter Member of the Snow Bros!
The Pilot formerly known as Yard Dart
A.M.A. 14003

Athol, ID 2020 :?: :?: July :?: :?: Mark your calendars, get your hiney in gear and come on up!
Pro Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:54 pm

Mojos do lt all,even snow. Thats a neat past,seems we all had about the same childhood,and not of dads to guild us,grow up fast and learn a bunch on our own.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:22 pm

Pro Bro wrote:My father bought out a hobby store in Portland, OR back in the late 50's or early 60's and brought it all back to our house in Eastern Washington. He died in '66 when I was only 4. All of his planes, the hobby shop kits, tools, Du-Bro packages were still there when we cleaned out the attic in 2002. I grew up with all of the dope, silk, Ambroid, balsa, kits and engines just sitting their waiting to be used. I didn't know how to start an ignition engine and couldn't tell which ones were worth using. When I got older, I traded them for a Kraft 4 channel that I never used. I regret that decision, but I had a Kraft radio and still do. Might as well be a boat anchor now. I didn't trade for ALL of the engines. I did keep a few but those have gone missing now too. Ohlsson and Rice, Torpedo, Anderson, McCoy, Atom and a few others. Wish I still had those. I did keep the Morton Radial, but there was no display box for it. It's mounted on a Stearman that was painted just like the real one he flew. I think he even used the same paint on both?

I always wondered how much buying out a hobby shop cost and where he got that money? I guess he was doing all right as a crop duster, tow pilot, charter service, instructor and had ratings for everything after the war. I was kind of intimidated by all of those kits and his building ability. I still don't have his ability to build or his patience. The only flying I remember was watching him hand launch a Thermic 100 glider in our backyard out into the alfalfa field. I think it was a one channel?

I finally started flying control line in Jr. High. I convinced a friend that model railroading was boring! LOL!! He even admits, I saved him from a life of model railroading. We built planes and loved the Top Flight Flite Streak. We had the 1/2 size, .15 size and even a .35 size. We even tested the 1/2 version with flaps. It was pretty funny to see a loop in a 6 foot circle and it just looked like it was stalling all the way around. I finally got in to r/c in my early 30's. When I moved to Spokane, I convinced him to jump to RC and got him started with the good stuff. We flew for years and still do when we are in the same town.

I was getting bored of R/C and then I found 3D and the hood. I still can't fly worth crap, but I try. Someday I might grasp rolling harriers and hovering. I keep trying and will as I enter retirement this summer! Can't wait!

Im still looking for someone to fly with down here in the valley, jim.im not gonna retire in the next couple years,but i can play hooky when i feel like it.got a boat too, maybe steelhead or sturgeon fishing :-D
athol probro stickbangers club

"There is room in the Hood for everyone, but not everybody finds a home in the Hood"
- goofy-

"Best part is if you dork a harrier from a few feet up, it's like a decent CJ landing" -steener-
doinkedit
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:00 pm

doinkedit wrote:
Pro Bro wrote:My father bought out a hobby store in Portland, OR back in the late 50's or early 60's and brought it all back to our house in Eastern Washington. He died in '66 when I was only 4. All of his planes, the hobby shop kits, tools, Du-Bro packages were still there when we cleaned out the attic in 2002. I grew up with all of the dope, silk, Ambroid, balsa, kits and engines just sitting their waiting to be used. I didn't know how to start an ignition engine and couldn't tell which ones were worth using. When I got older, I traded them for a Kraft 4 channel that I never used. I regret that decision, but I had a Kraft radio and still do. Might as well be a boat anchor now. I didn't trade for ALL of the engines. I did keep a few but those have gone missing now too. Ohlsson and Rice, Torpedo, Anderson, McCoy, Atom and a few others. Wish I still had those. I did keep the Morton Radial, but there was no display box for it. It's mounted on a Stearman that was painted just like the real one he flew. I think he even used the same paint on both?

Im still looking for someone to fly with down here in the valley, jim.im not gonna retire in the next couple years,but i can play hooky when i feel like it.got a boat too, maybe steelhead or sturgeon fishing :-D

We're coming up to Lewiston and we're going to drop the boats in at Chief Timothy and run all the way to the Tri-Cities. Probably in August if it all works out! I'm trying to find a float plane to bring along. We'll be in touch as it gets closer.

Can't find any slab guys to fly with in Lewiston? Do we need to introduce them to the hood and hook a few?

I'm planning to be at Farragut that last weekend in July. I'm guessing we'll see you there?
Home of the Snow-Ass Mojo!
Charter Member of the Snow Bros!
The Pilot formerly known as Yard Dart
A.M.A. 14003

Athol, ID 2020 :?: :?: July :?: :?: Mark your calendars, get your hiney in gear and come on up!
Pro Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:50 pm

Pro Bro wrote:
doinkedit wrote:

We're coming up to Lewiston and we're going to drop the boats in at Chief Timothy and run all the way to the Tri-Cities. Probably in August if it all works out! I'm trying to find a float plane to bring along. We'll be in touch as it gets closer.

Can't find any slab guys to fly with in Lewiston? Do we need to introduce them to the hood and hook a few?

I'm planning to be at Farragut that last weekend in July. I'm guessing we'll see you there?

I can almost see chief timothy park from my house,5-7 min drive 8) i can see the port of wilma.we can help out if needed.
I do have a lead at mann field in east lewiston im following up on.
Barbara and i will be joining gus and his familia at farragut about the same time i think, the old athol probro dates
athol probro stickbangers club

"There is room in the Hood for everyone, but not everybody finds a home in the Hood"
- goofy-

"Best part is if you dork a harrier from a few feet up, it's like a decent CJ landing" -steener-
doinkedit
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Pro Bro General Chat