Bro - coming back after the kids downtime

This is the place to hang and talk.

Bro - coming back after the kids downtime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:16 pm

Hi,
Just took my planes out of storage. I have a Mojo 46 that I built and loved before the kids put this hobby aside. It's got a OS 50 engine in it I think. This was 10-12 years ago and I think my gear is all a bit dated. I assume electric is the way to go now. It wasn't really budget friendly back in the day. Also assume people aren't flying FM frequency anymore.

What are some general recommendations for a nice radio and an electric conversion for the mojo?
Pro Bro 2470
Mojo .40 - OS 46FX *Fly-Away and lost due to bad battery*
Mojo .40 (#2) - OS 55AX
Kalteisen Katana 350
RaVeNatNM
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: Bro - coming back after the kids downtime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:20 pm

I remember you posting back in the day. :D
Good to see you back, and great to see more WI bro's :tu: :tu: :tu:

There is a very good recent thread on Mojo 40 Electric setup. I have my recommendations there:
https://www.theprofilebrotherhood.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41963

FM is still fine to use. No problems - and also really easy to get a freq. pin now :D :D
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:26 pm

Makes me feel dated but that old stuff still works fine,try it out before changing.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Location: 1 mile from lake Thurmond 15miles north of augusta ga.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:40 am

How did it go getting your old planes out?
Hoping it went well and that you can get back into flying. :tu:
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:17 pm

Give us a update,we behind you all the way.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:17 pm

ReveNatNM, i know its a bit hard to start back,i did it after 25 years,you can to. I started with my old stuff,72 radios and easy to fly planes. Takes a bit to get fingers back,no need to risk mojos at first,a foam may be good to start. Oil them engines and let them sit a bit,most time they be alright. Replace batts and check over good. AGAIN,there be no shame in flying a trainer at first,may save much pain and money. Plus takes time to get up to speed,remembering all the little things. Great hobby,lets you grow at your pace. Them mojos still at the top,still in demand,still great,and nitro ant dead. diff [ant] is not. If you build,202 giles is awesome foam plane for 100.00 complete.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:55 pm

great plug post, from the heart but an english teacher would cringe! :lol:
"you didn't add strength. you added WEIGHT"- w.f.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:58 pm

and i been flying r/c since 1976. controline before that. rubber before that, going back to my first turd at 6 years old.

and you know what? my favorite plane is a trainer- the 3d seniorita. thing is freaking awesome. thermals, hoovers, bank and yank in a 40' box in front of you. nothing better.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:02 pm

i mean, really. how much fun is this??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPINgNROxC8
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:05 pm

That be a floater for shure,from top wing plane. No hope for my grammar,even spell check says what the hell,whats a emoji. diff [shure] means got to be true.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:44 pm

I have to say that I was able to fly my trusted JR9303 module based TX on 72mhz, Spread Rectum, Futaba Fasst and even FRSky all by just swapping out the module. Being that some planes rx where updated only, I realy seen first hand that response was much quicker and the addition of more expo was needed. With todays flight envelopes of current designs and servos Im not so certain 50oz 60g .13 speed swervos are capable to achieve if used beyond WF designs. :P
c/f
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:44 am

I did have a nicer futaba 7 channel Tx that I’d converted with a Fast Tx module. Are those still solid tx/rx combinations?
Pro Bro 2470
Mojo .40 - OS 46FX *Fly-Away and lost due to bad battery*
Mojo .40 (#2) - OS 55AX
Kalteisen Katana 350
RaVeNatNM
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:02 am

c/f wrote:I have to say that I was able to fly my trusted JR9303 module based TX on 72mhz, Spread Rectum, Futaba Fasst and even FRSky all by just swapping out the module. Being that some planes rx where updated only, I realy seen first hand that response was much quicker and the addition of more expo was needed. With todays flight envelopes of current designs and servos Im not so certain 50oz 60g .13 speed swervos are capable to achieve if used beyond WF designs. :P

wf engineering masks a lot of stuff. it almost makes coronas work good! :lol:
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:14 pm

CF,thats neat to know as that,upgrading a 9303 is my plan. Any thoughts or insights,that will help. As planes progress,so have servos if one will pay the price. Hard to say where a servo is underpowered,these new radios that talk back with a watt meter on servo could tell us,but way beyond me. Some guys still fly with 4 for 10.00 servos,think they over extend there power limits a little,but then,the force in realty turns there planes. :rofl: :rofl: :beer:
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:20 pm

RaVeNatNM wrote:I did have a nicer futaba 7 channel Tx that I’d converted with a Fast Tx module. Are those still solid tx/rx combinations?

If you still have it, use it. FASST is still a very good system.
But the transmitter batteries and airborne batteries will probably need to be replaced.
If you have the old 7U, a new 9.9 volt life transmitter battery is less than $15.
700 mah life airborne batteries are about $5 each. Even a 1500 mah life airborne battery is only about $15.

But if you no longer have it, a brand new 2.4 radio isn't that expensive anymore if you're willing to consider brands other than Spektrum and Futaba.
:hover: McDDD #415

˙ʇᴉ op oʇ ʍoɥ ʇno ǝɹnƃᴉɟ ʇ,uɐɔ I ʇnq 'looɔ sʞool ʇxǝʇ spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpᴉsd∩
McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Wild Fred wrote:great plug post, from the heart but an english teacher would cringe! :lol:

I think the English teacher would have a stroke reading it. LOL
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

Glitter55, Big Tiddy 55cc, VH Giles202. Stashed stix60, stix50, stix46

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:03 am

I have seen some really OLD analog servos typical of the 48oz for 60g ROYALS/KRAFT/MRC/JR, type servos not actually playing nice with Spread Rectum when some folks bring out old toys with new 2.4g rx.... Be sure to do a thurough range check and just check this simple excersize out, QQ taught me this......

By clicking a flight control trim tab up one click then back one clickfrom centered, then one click to other side then back one click to center, see if the servo actually responds to 1 click increments around center of trim, its not uncommon for the old gear to need 2+ clicks to see something happen. If you believe this is just wasted money excersize then your good to go, no need to update come next christmas or B-day when they ask whats Grandpa want :wink:
c/f
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:22 am

Thanks cf,will check servo center,never know when mixing stuff.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:54 pm

c/f wrote:By clicking a flight control trim tab up one click then back one click from centered, then one click to other side then back one click to center, see if the servo actually responds to 1 click increments around center of trim....

This right here will also clearly show the difference between a good centering servo and a poor centering servo. A good servo can hold the trim setting within 1 click. A poor servo might take several clicks of trim before it moves, then several more clicks back the other way to get it to move again. So your plane ends up trimmed within 3 clicks of where it needs to be, but the servo is never exactly where it's supposed to be. The plane ends up feeling like it's unstable and mushy on the controls, when in reality it's the fault of a poor centering servo. A really trashy centering servo might have 10 clicks or more of trim slop. Even the best plane in the world will fly like crap with trashy servos.
:hover: McDDD #415

˙ʇᴉ op oʇ ʍoɥ ʇno ǝɹnƃᴉɟ ʇ,uɐɔ I ʇnq 'looɔ sʞool ʇxǝʇ spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpᴉsd∩
McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:52 pm

:tu: :tu: :gp: :exactly: Dont got to be best,but junk ls junk.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Pro Bro General Chat