The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Shiney Nipples - Any interest in the production run ?

3K views 55 replies 27 participants last post by  West Coast Bro 
#1 ·
Bro's,
I found the drawings I created for the official Shiney Nipples from about ten years ago. I can't remember which Bro it was, but I sent him the drawings, and he had a batch made and sold them to the Bro's here. At the time, there was a #4-40 size and #2-56 size. The #4-40 worked the best.

I've seen some interest here on the site.... so I found the drawings I had, and have contacted a couple of machine shops about getting a couple hundred made for sale the Brotherhood. I don't know what the pricing would be yet. Won't know that until I get some quotes back.

Is there any interest? In order to make it worth while, I'd have to buy at least 200 in order to get the pricing into the affordable range. Which means I'd have to sell about 180 of them.

When I get a chance, I'll post a photo or two. For the newer Bro's who don't know, Shiney Nipples are steel fittings that are glued onto carbon rods to make awesome pushrods for elevator, rudder, and even ailerons. They original design I had would accomodate .187 diameter carbon rods, and had #4-40 threads for clevises.

#12 ·
things are awesome! i'm too cheap, fixed income now. but if'n i had the moolah, i'd buy a shitload! of course, if anyone cares to buy some to send w.f. it'd buy credits towards a ferroplane or some other awesomness...

will work for stuff, what do you want? :rockoncool:

retirement is cool... i'd rather make 67-59/64 cents an hour working on toy planes than dealing with stupid fucks that have been in the pecking order long enough to become king turd on shit hill...

well, i'm autistic. I call it as i see it.

but then, the benefits are i'm pretty good at what i do, my shit flies good, is light, don't break. ask anyone who has a w.f. built plane.

anyone broke their foam wing senioritas yet? nope, didn't think so! :lol:

now that i'm free, going to start building rtf shit, go to clubs, do the dance. then say "here's what i'm flying, stuff it and fly. or don't. doesn't make a rat's ass to me."

think anyone would buy them? :p

you guys would! you know quality.

any bros out there who have had a ferro or wf built lammy, chime in and tell the truth, good or bad.

i once boxed a lammy in ply and sent it to a bro out west. what did he think about it? didn't even really know the guy, but he had good mana... i could tell. did it fly ok?

phread- you still got the hoovering seniorita? thing was awesome.

my yacht's paid for by ferroplanes... but it could use a few bells and whistles... anyone need cool shit? :rockoncool:

#13 ·
Doug B said:
... so I found the drawings I had, and have contacted a couple of machine shops about getting a couple hundred made for sale the Brotherhood. I don't know what the pricing would be yet. Won't know that until I get some quotes back.
Try a place on the web called Xometry. You upload the CAD file and they get you a quote back super fast (instant if you have a 3D file). We use them at work and the prices are usually real good as they contract with machine shops all over the US (shops go on their site and pick and choose the jobs they want, so the shop that is best suited for it will find it). They also have a China option that is even cheaper most of the time.

If you need a 3D model, let me know and I can make one for you if you give me the 2D drawing.

#17 ·
I would be in for 20 of each as well. I could take more if you are running short for the minimum order.

#19 ·
Well.... there appears to be enough interest to make this worthwhile if I can find a source that will offer a good price.

I'm still gathering quotes - obviously the price needs to be reasonable.
The first quote I got back was about $5/each. Nope!
Second quote was about $3.50/each Nope.
I'm trying to find a place that will make them for about $1.50/each. Then, with shipping costs and a nickel of profit for me I can try to keep the price under $2/each.

I designed them to be made from stainless. But, changing to normal carbon steel might lower the price a bit. They would just rust. I'm not sure if brass would lower the cost or not - likely not with the demand for brass from the ammo industry.

I'll keep looking for a source with a good price. If I can find one, I'll setup another post for ordering....

At the moment, I'm only looking at the size that uses a .187 diameter carbon rod, with #4-40 threads. I could cut the length of the threads down by a quarter inch. That would lower the price a bit...more pieces per bar of steel.

#23 ·
sparkplug said:
Dont want to be dumass but i have not seen these in use. For new guys,and i looked at that you posted,us back woods,fly by self,not to smart, need a pic showing them installed on plane. thank you for bearing with plug. :shrug2: :shrug2:

Attachments

#24 ·
I'll do 20 small.
Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.