The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

72 MHz

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  sparkplug 
#1 ·
Guys, went flying with my dad today. He has always religiously used 72mhz Futaba with no issues. FM ch29 to be exact. He had a dead stick landing today. I walked out to grab his plane less than 75 yards. When I got there I noticed right away the ailerons were jittering roughly 1/8 . The antenna was fully extended! Upon further inspection all of his plans on 72 are experiencing this problem. If you are still on 72 it maybe worth while to preform a good radio check. To be honest we only did his once every 4th or 5th trip. Never seen anything like it.

#3 ·
Or if you switched out to LiFe batteries, some of the old JR and Futaba servos didn't like a fully charged 5 cell nicad... once you got the first flight in, the servos would settle. Also check e tensions for corrosion, if it was only the ailerons on all planes, I would suspect something else. The pot on the aileron gimbal could be getting worn out.

#7 ·
To be a little more specific, the radio is a 6ex pcm that I ordered for him from tower about 10 years ago just before we got out of flying. I'd say less than 30 hours on it. He uses 2600 mah nimh packs at 4.8v "4 cell" all purchased about 5 months ago. He does have another Ch29 Futaba transmitter we can test with. The incident occurred on his first flight of the day. I'm really not a fan of nimh or the resistance they make. But being older equipment, I'm not sure if it would be happy on A123 voltage. Also, I didn't mention the flutter was non existent in close range. If it was the radio, would it do it all the time? I'm not by any means trying to bad mouth 72 as it has served well for many years. Just wanted to note what we experienced. Honestly I can't believe we didn't loose the plane. Just wanted to encourage bros still using it to preform a good radio check.

Our location could possibly play a roll. I retired my 72 stuff in 2008. One morning I fired up my radio in the Pitts and another club member was experiencing interference/bleed over from my radio. We use and still have a peg board. My radio was a old AM ch18 conquest. His was a 6ex-pcm FM ch36 if I recall.

#10 ·
Just spit balling here but I would check the internal antenna connection. It is also possible that there is a new source of interference where you fly. The servos in my AM plane jitter when close to town but is very smooth and steady when many many miles away from town and nothing is within sight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.