saitos

This is the place to hang and talk.

saitos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:34 pm

what ,if any,do you guys do for saitos for extra lube. oil rockers,how bout cam gear,afterrun oil.lets get it started.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: saitos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:24 pm

OS type F plug

Adjust valves to .002 "

20/20 fuel all synthetic oil.........no castor

Store in a climate controlled environment....... back bedroom of the house

My 125 finally needs bearings after 20 yrs of flying. :roll: :lol:
The ZZ Top looking, anal Bastage Bro.

I fly just enough to stay rusty.
PAR
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:27 pm

"Say Toe"
kamlooper
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:32 pm

sparkplug wrote:what ,if any,do you guys do for saitos for extra lube. oil rockers,how bout cam gear,afterrun oil.lets get it started.

I am bias towards a different brand so I’ll wait for the Dr. or WCB to answer this :mrgreen:
The Argentinian Pro Bro!!!!!!!!!!!

And now proud member of the RMM.
gus
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:53 pm

does out of the rain count,better half ran me,dust,smell,planes ,reloading stuff, out of house 30 years ago,i got back,they didnt. 20years,you doing something right. dont be shy guys,just tell old sparkplug 2st man the truth,little late in life,but im trying. anyway,ant most engines made somewhat the same. i felt a spark just then.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:03 am

i used 15% castor blend, change bearings as needed, change intake tube o-ring when it starts unreliable idle. other than that, flew them. adjust needle spring and fall, that's about it.
don't argue with me, or i poop on your chessboard and knock shit over! :D
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:19 am

well,nobody saying much,guess them saitos must be tuff,maybe the ....
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:23 pm

I always shoot a little marvels mystery oil in the crank case tube after flying. Use a pop rivet shaft to plug the crank case tube and no mess :tu: we were out of flying for 10 years and all of the saitos were ready to rock and roll
Heinz57
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:24 am

I've rebuilt many Saitos from guys that swear by Marvel oil. What it does inside is repel against the water that the alcohol brought in and where the oil meets the water, there are lines of rust on the bearings. IMO, the best line of defense is to run the engine till it's completely empty of fuel, then do nothing.
"That can't be un-fucked" - Clay @Nash 2012
Fly like you have no tomorrows.

*Asshole Disclaimer*
If you think you have been offended, please unread this post.
Mike
ThumbSkull
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:01 pm

how bout spoon of caster oil,maybe pull cover,drip on rockers. ok,what do os fans do.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:57 pm

ThumbSkull wrote: IMO, the best line of defense is to run the engine till it's completely empty of fuel, then do nothing.

:gp:

An electric starter is your friend for this. Put the glow ignitor on and run her dry. Give it a couple more spins after she quits popping.

High oil content, full synthetic, fuel is good too. 20/20 full synthetic if you can get it.

Castor sucks. I've rebuilt engines run on castor/fuel mix and engines run on all synthetic/fuel mix. After seeing the difference I will never run castor in my engines again.
The Profile Brotherhood Needs You! Post something, dammit!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:33 pm

gus wrote:
sparkplug wrote:what ,if any,do you guys do for saitos for extra lube. oil rockers,how bout cam gear,afterrun oil.lets get it started.

I am bias towards a different brand so I’ll wait for the Dr. or WCB to answer this :mrgreen:

Use good fuel, run the piss out of it, when it quits, no big loss, replace with YS :rockon:
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:35 pm

ThumbSkull wrote:IMO, the best line of defense is to run the engine till it's completely empty of fuel, then do nothing.

THIS with all engines. No after run oil, mystery oil, yada yada yada. No problems, even when they sit for awhile :tu:
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:48 pm

no big money here,buy it used,love it,make it last,rebuild,go again. yep,im tight,i got a sparkplug cleaner. tight yes.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:14 pm

ThumbSkull wrote:I've rebuilt many Saitos from guys that swear by Marvel oil. What it does inside is repel against the water that the alcohol brought in and where the oil meets the water, there are lines of rust on the bearings. IMO, the best line of defense is to run the engine till it's completely empty of fuel, then do nothing.

I’ve said for 20 years after run oil causes rust. Used to go round and round with Gordo about it.
1) Whistlepig Rye
2) Bookers
3) High West Double Rye
4) Blanton's
5) Bakers
6) Woodford
7) four roses small batch
8) Berheim's Rye
9) Widow Jane
10) Black maple hill
Dr Constrictor
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:01 pm

running dry got to be good,bit caster in fuel would coat everthing,but see your point on atf,dont mix with alc fuel.think your right,unless you drown engine. or,throw away,buy new 500 ys ever year. wheres the trash can,i ant to proud.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:33 pm

sparkplug wrote:running dry got to be good,bit caster in fuel would coat everything ...

And that frigging castor coating everything gets gummy if it sits around ... Synthetic doesn't seem to do so. From my experience.
The Profile Brotherhood Needs You! Post something, dammit!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:07 am

Like Thumbskull said, run it entirely out of fuel by plugging in the qlow driver and running the engine until it quits, then if you want, use the starter to make sure there is nothing left to burn. It's best to do this every time you're done flying...regardless of engine type.

I use dexron ATF as an after run oil for any long term or winter storage. Use a syringe and fuel tubing to inject the oil into the crank breather nipple. Flip the prop a bunch of times to coat the inside as much as possible. Try to store them nose down. I would steer clear of castor. That's right out of the Harry Higley's all about engines book.

The only times I needed to replace bearings in any engine is because of skipping these steps, rusted bearings can happen pretty quickly too. I had them rust up once at Nash, forgot to run out of fuel cuz it was time for beer, sat out in the dew overnite and the next day, rumble rumble, shit. :roll:

Not sure of the pros and cons of stainless bearings...another subject for discussion.

I think someone needs to make scented candles of burning castor oil because I do love the smell but not what it does to the inside of a 4 stroke.
Spitfire Mk IIID
2 Sbach 45's
VH G202 & Sbach
Wild Tiger (RIP Iron man 2018)
EE 25
Bouncer
Tritle Luscombe Silvair
Crack Camel
Mirage 2000
"It's always better to regret something you have done than something you haven't" Butthole Surfers
the lift
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:57 pm

...I was also reading that after you burn all traces of fuel that you should let it sit for a few hours to allow fuel residue to evaporate before adding oil. And you should add enough oil to cover everything thoroughly...like a lot, swish it around.
Air tool oil, dexron atf, mmo all are designed to, and have have anti corrosive additives/properties, the whole point of air tool oil is to inhibit and displace corrosion...since water is present in most air tool systems. Way more than what we deal with in rc engines.
Not sure how it could be the cause of corrosion. But, anything is possible, and the guys stating this are certainly very knowledgeable. Who knows?
Spitfire Mk IIID
2 Sbach 45's
VH G202 & Sbach
Wild Tiger (RIP Iron man 2018)
EE 25
Bouncer
Tritle Luscombe Silvair
Crack Camel
Mirage 2000
"It's always better to regret something you have done than something you haven't" Butthole Surfers
the lift
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:01 pm

dr has good points on rust. i think,he is saying,put a little atf in engine,oil goes to bottom,say 1/3 up bearing,left over fuel floats on top,rusting top of bearing. i think atf may not be the best after run oil. may be need to mix some fuel and atf,let sit, see if stays mixed. dry out engine all agree. i have no problem on 2st,dont even dry out. i use some caster oil,gum up,yes,rust no. add fuel,turn over,free up, fly. maybe,use caster oil as afterrun oil.hummm. good lube,sticks to bearings,blows out after starting,not in fuel so not sticking rings. boat world,we use fogging oil,spray,goes on wet,drys waxie. omc best. dam well works,let boat engine set 24 weeks,no rust,but boats dont use nitro. me try aftercaster on saitos. WF should know,he lives in swamp. oh,engine rust overnight,your oil sucks,add bit caster wont do that. bet dr shaking his head,zombie to. cl lee liked it,he sure knows engines. just my thoughts,i like to hear yours,plug dont know it all.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Pro Bro General Chat