Tubes, Fiberglass vs Carbon

This is the place to hang and talk.

Tubes, Fiberglass vs Carbon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:47 am

I have seen several post lately on this issue and just thought I would chime in and give my opinion.
Fiberglass tubes are more durable and a little heavier than carbon. Fiberglass is what has typically been used on most bro approved slabs. When I designed the 46” UL Slick I decided to use carbon because I was trying to shave off every ounce possible. I have used Carbon in both of my Slick designs and it has worked very well with no failures that I know of.
I think on any light weight designs carbon is the way to go. If you break a carbon tube in a lightweight profile it will more than likely be destroyed beyond repair. As far as Mojo’s, Primo’s and any other more standard weight slabs, I agree that fiberglass is the way to go.
Doug G Designs & Kit Cutting
Doug G
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: Tubes, Fiberglass vs Carbon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:34 am

thanks Doug--good to hear from you and my slick is still the slickest and sickest plane at the park.

Now we just need someone to weigh in with where to find .505 tubes and whatever for things being currently kitted at a good price. Has anyone found a good deal lately?
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:54 am

The Argentinian Pro Bro!!!!!!!!!!!

And now proud member of the RMM.
gus
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:50 am

gus wrote:https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes/epoxy_tubing/144

Thanks! I saw that site in the other thread, but looked for "fiberglass" instead of "epoxy". That's a good price, but the shipping is (understandably) twice the item price. I'm going to look around, but might have to just eat it.
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:56 pm

guckrob wrote:
gus wrote:https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_rods_tubes_shapes/epoxy_tubing/144

Thanks! I saw that site in the other thread, but looked for "fiberglass" instead of "epoxy". That's a good price, but the shipping is (understandably) twice the item price. I'm going to look around, but might have to just eat it.

Think ahead if you decide to order. I notice the shipping is the same for multiple tubes or one. I tried three tubes and shipping didn't change. Still flat 15 bucks.
The Profile Brotherhood Needs You! Post something, dammit!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:24 pm

Zombie [2point0] wrote:
guckrob wrote:

Think ahead if you decide to order. I notice the shipping is the same for multiple tubes or one. I tried three tubes and shipping didn't change. Still flat 15 bucks.

ya I noticed that, too. now if I could just predict what 3 or 4 kits I am going to build from plans or short kits soon. I think I know at least a couple.
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:27 pm

I wonder if you could use bamboo as an alternative. Light and strong i would think.
Craig
_________________________________________________________________________________
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
3DNinja
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:30 pm

From my experience,the fiber glass bends then the frame rails break,no big deal just re-glue,patch go fly.But with carbon there is no flex.I guess either way your going to need some sort of repair if you hit hard enough to flex a fiber glass tube.
closetguy
closetguy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:00 pm

guckrob wrote:
Zombie [2point0] wrote:
guckrob wrote:

ya I noticed that, too. now if I could just predict what 3 or 4 kits I am going to build from plans or short kits soon. I think I know at least a couple.

Don’t mark my words, but I heard primos will be next on the chopping block! Great timing for this subject :rockon:
Heinz57
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:01 pm

I agree with cf in the smaller birds. I put a cf tube in my Skeeter 36 that I built.
Attachments
T3.jpg
T1.jpg
B1.jpg
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:34 pm

good looking bird,much better than i can do.how much does it weigh.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:16 am

i use walmart arrow shafts in my small stuff. been using carbon in my lamyaks. of course, i don't pile them in much like i did when learning backwards rudder stuff. at 2.5 lb. the carbon plenty strong. bought several 12mm from hk a whilr back.
"I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy."- jonathan livingston seagull.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:34 am

sparkplug wrote:good looking bird,much better than i can do.how much does it weigh.

Thanks sparkplug.
As pictured there with no gear it is 10.95 oz.
I'm not the lightest builder out there, but I think that is in the ballpark of the 36" wingspan birds.
A quick guesstimate of the gear weight puts it at around 20 oz RTF wight.
Gear:
Savox 1/2 oz weight digital servo's - metal gear (4).
Graupner RX
ST .10 Motor.
Castle Talon 35 Speedo
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:12 pm

Straight up- that skeeter looks sweet :rockon:
Heinz57
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:23 pm

looks good and a floater for sure.way less than a glow.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:00 pm

Thanks guys :D
When I built it I put a Mojo style top and canopy on it - almost identical to my Mojo 25 in my avitar. The original Skeeter is a lot more straight. So I call it a MoSkeeter
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Straightup wrote:Thanks guys :D
When I built it I put a Mojo style top and canopy on it - almost identical to my Mojo 25 in my avitar. The original Skeeter is a lot more straight. So I call it a MoSkeeter

Sure is pretty! Thanks for tip. Got a Skeeter sitting here to build at some point. May put a Mojo top on mine too.
The Profile Brotherhood Needs You! Post something, dammit!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:40 pm

Straightup wrote:So I call it a MoSkeeter

You can never have too many Skeeters.
Tim
RMM

Hanger All E
75” 3D Hobby Shop Edge
GBR 32 Foamy
SBach 65
Slide 48
PBF- Thanks Zamfir
84" Turbo Bushmaster
ozzy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:03 am

say it again,skeeter looks good.was that a kit or plans,i looked at pics 3 times,bet its going to fly sweet.be nice to have one.what power system are you planing to use.im new to el planes,but impressed.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Return to Pro Bro General Chat