Morris Hobbies

This is the place to hang and talk.

Morris Hobbies

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:05 am

Anybody fly the Morris Hobbies planes? There's a dude on eBay selling plans and templates, but they're like $35 shipped, which seems a bit high to me. Are they worth it?
solv3nt
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: Morris Hobbies

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:50 am

I have flown a bunch of them. They were kind of the father of the modern 3D profile.
They can be fun to fly but don't compare to the modern pro bro approved profile.

My favorite morris plane was designed by a bro here, the sledge.
1) Whistlepig Rye
2) Bookers
3) High West Double Rye
4) Blanton's
5) Bakers
6) Woodford
7) four roses small batch
8) Berheim's Rye
9) Widow Jane
10) Black maple hill
Dr Constrictor
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:46 am

Dr Constrictor wrote:I have flown a bunch of them. They were kind of the father of the modern 3D profile.
They can be fun to fly but don't compare to the modern pro bro approved profile.

What is currently the modern approved profile?
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:24 pm

boy,thats a loaded queastion,maybe a top ten list would be better,come on guys,us new guys are still learning.top ten list dont hurt no feelings.from what i have been reading,lots of old post,mojos must be mighty good,for 20 year old plane. let war start.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:28 pm

sparkplug wrote:boy,thats a loaded queastion,maybe a top ten list would be better,come on guys,us new guys are still learning.top ten list dont hurt no feelings.from what i have been reading,lots of old post,mojos must be mighty good,for 20 year old plane. let war start.

That's kind of what I was looking for. I'm getting back into flying after a twenty year hiatus, and boy have things changed. I've never been into ARF's, but now there's only a few places that still make kits.
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:45 pm

search "wild fred laminar yak build thread". it has plans link 2nd post, and complete build thread. free. any questions, ask me. tons of youtube video on it, been built in brazil, australia, new zealand, india, sweden, etc. if you blow plans up 125%, it's just right for a saito 1.00, and the easiest plane to learn to hover on. 40 size still easy, it doesn't have a stall break with that airfoil. transition from level to hover easy, nose up- power up, then steer it with rudder.

and did i mention FREE? can't argue with free! lot of my stuff in design forum. you can scratch about any one of them.
"I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy."- jonathan livingston seagull.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:48 pm

and pm frisbee or doug g, they cut kits of the best ones here (including mine). doug's planes fly a lot like mine, light loading, do what you tell it, no surprises.
"I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy."- jonathan livingston seagull.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:55 pm

Wild Fred wrote:and pm frisbee or doug g, they cut kits of the best ones here (including mine). doug's planes fly a lot like mine, light loading, do what you tell it, no surprises.

Doug seems to be dealing with some stuff right now. I'll search for your plans.
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:02 pm

i got new computer, can't figure out how to right click or woulda copied and pasted the link. WAGAS drew them up for me, all ribs etc. on plans. just go to office depot or similar, they print out. cut the ribs outa 1/16" balsa, and don't cut holes in them.

or cut foam wings. there's a thread on that, too. and video of me and flightcrazed midairing head on in k.e., and then i violated his broke plane! look up r/c flightcrazed's channel on youtube, lot of flight video there.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:09 pm

:roll: I just took my TW cracked yak out for maiden yesterday. She flies amaizing. I'm a little miffed, they tell you to put glue along the hinges, did that, and the hinges wouldn't work. I ended up cutting the foam, and using packing tape, bi-directional fiber kind.

She flies likea bat out of hell. Snap rolls, hovers, etc, even with blowing wind from the side swiped hurricane Douglas.
Last edited by solv3nt on Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:26 pm

Found the yak plans, what size of paper do you plot to? I'm thinking of scaling it for a 35" wingspan or so. Do you have cad files?
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:43 pm

1) Whistlepig Rye
2) Bookers
3) High West Double Rye
4) Blanton's
5) Bakers
6) Woodford
7) four roses small batch
8) Berheim's Rye
9) Widow Jane
10) Black maple hill
Dr Constrictor
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:04 pm

Dr Constrictor wrote:https://www.theprofilebrotherhood.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=41471&hilit=plans

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37845&hilit=plans

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=25209&hilit=plans

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=38951&hilit=plans

Sweet! Got some CAD files to play with now!
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:00 pm

at 35", the slick is one of the best.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:15 pm

Wild Fred wrote:at 35", the slick is one of the best.

I've got the slick, she's a great flyer. I've got some 3s2200 batteries that no longer have a home after my four star incident, which may be on the small side for a .40 bird.
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:36 pm

solv3nt wrote:
Wild Fred wrote:at 35", the slick is one of the best.

I've got the slick, she's a great flyer. I've got some 3s2200 batteries that no longer have a home after my four star incident, which may be in the small side for a .40 bird.

A 46” Doug G slick or wild Fred lamYak or LamSukhoi will fly great on 3S-2200’s. I have a LamSuk built by Wild Fred himself and it’s a winner.
Tim
tcipolla
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:07 pm

Dr Constrictor wrote:I have flown a bunch of them. They were kind of the father of the modern 3D profile.

Did you ever put that Profile Hots together I sold you ?
Mojo40
Slick540
Fuzion
RazorYakARF
E-Yak 32"
32"epp 3DHS Yak
Sabre56
Lanier Radical
Evo Cap (in bones)
Stix46 (in sticks)
LightRC S-Bach 35"
Yak 40(almost there)
Ferro Plane
MikeMcChiken
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:06 pm

zombie where you at.i got them wound up,we are looking for top ten planes,mostly for new guys,easy to build,fly,learn on.new guys need help to decide,lots of planes out there.im building a profile hots 35,just about finnished.now know was not a great pic.i think mojos where i will start.keep talking guys,we are listening.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:28 am

sparkplug wrote:zombie where you at.i got them wound up,we are looking for top ten planes,mostly for new guys,easy to build,fly,learn on.new guys need help to decide,lots of planes out there.im building a profile hots 35,just about finnished.now know was not a great pic.i think mojos where i will start.keep talking guys,we are listening.

look up "flightcrazed foam lamyak build" in experimental design forum. easiest cheapest great flier. for about 30 bucks worth of foam and a sheet of h.d. utility ply, you can build a half dozen. a couple 1/4' sheets and a balsa stripper will make the control surfaces.

foam cutter? get some vape wire at smoke shop or amazon. most battery chargers have a foam cut program. a simple bow made of a 1x3 and a couple pieces music wire, 2 alligator clips and 10' of wire to hook to charger, and you in business. full details in my foam build threads, or just pm me for a pic of setup. doinkedit has one, too. maybe he post a pic of his. too easy.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:03 pm

ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Pro Bro General Chat