Remember when ...

This is the place to hang and talk.

Remember when ...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:50 pm

Remember when there were so many posts here every day that the Top Ten rolled over a couple times and it was hard to keep up with it all?
The Profile Brotherhood Needs You! Post something, dammit!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: Remember when ...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:58 pm

That's when everyone was quite bit younger and before they started moving on. :D

Sure do miss it though. :drink:

Funny thing is if you look at the number of viewers at any given time the visitor total is quite high, just no one joining or posting.
The ZZ Top looking, anal Bastage Bro.

I fly just enough to stay rusty.
PAR
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:05 pm

That’s true, 8 registered and 145 guests right now.
The Argentinian Pro Bro!!!!!!!!!!!

And now proud member of the RMM.
gus
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:31 pm

gus wrote:That’s true, 8 registered and 145 guests right now.

And yet, my Unobtanium post from Yesterday morning, with just a couple replies from Doug, is still in the Top Ten. :?
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:28 pm

It's actually been better since covid.. People with more free time have showed up or come back and there's been more activity here. You coming back has added life to the site which is much needed :tu: . It's till the best / most honest RC site out there. I think one of the biggest factors is more / other social media. I think there's a lot of Bro's that follow each other and talk on Facebook. Also we are such a close group, I talk to my closest Bro's all the time on the phone so those conversations aren't happening here. I think it's interesting when some people sign up here and have no clue how close we are. Most of us have flown with each other at ProBro's or if not have PM'd each other for info and other conversation. Some people will come on here and talk like it is your average huge forum where no one knows each other and that is definitely not us.. It really is a Brotherhood!
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:54 am

Straightup wrote:It's till the best / most honest RC site out there.

I need to tell you I'm glad you're still here. You've always called it straight. :lol:

On a more serious note, you are spot on with your thoughts, in my opinion. Especially about being the most honest RC site. It's pretty tough to sling bullshit here as the Bros are experienced, many are damn fine fliers, and most are independent thinkers. There are designers here that know what works. And the knowledge about setups and electronics is pretty astounding. All that and more - like the fact that there is a really, really, really low tolerance level for posers.

I was somewhat taken aback when I first joined and started hanging out here. Anybody is accepted - without rules, regulations, or a long list of dos and don't. There is no pressure to conform to some sort of idealistic methodology or thought - just the concept of do it your way without stomping on others people's toes (which gets bent a bit during ProBros, especially if over-indulgence and sharpies are present). It did not take me long to spot what was different here than other RC sites.

I saw that it was/is one of the largest collections of self-responsible individualists to be found anywhere - strong people who want to live life their way and are not afraid to do so. They don't live seeking other people's approval, only their own. And as Bros don't want other people telling them what to do or how to live, Bros rarely inflict such crap on other people or each other. Because of this Bros are among the more tolerant people one will meet. But, yes, we will still ridicule stupidity. As far as Western civilization is concerned however, all that makes us misfits.

The only "musts" I have ever seen expected of Members of The Profile Brotherhood are honesty and no Whining. The only shit storms I have ever seen develop were because someone was not being honest with themselves and/or with others. When we disagree, it is usually without being disagreeable.

Straightup wrote:I think one of the biggest factors is more / other social media. I think there's a lot of Bro's that follow each other and talk on Facebook. Also we are such a close group, I talk to my closest Bro's all the time on the phone so those conversations aren't happening here.

I'm sure you're right. Yet some don't have such communication connections. The forum is all some people have, especially new members. This is the main way many have available to communicate with other Bros. That's why I see The Profile Brotherhood site, and posts, as so important. But then, maybe we just need to get out more and expand our "Social" connections. :lol: I wish there were members near me to fly with. I'm kinda in a dead zone ... miles away from any other Bros. As far as I know. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Straightup wrote: I think it's interesting when some people sign up here and have no clue how close we are. Most of us have flown with each other at ProBro's or if not have PM'd each other for info and other conversation. Some people will come on here and talk like it is your average huge forum where no one knows each other and that is definitely not us.. It really is a Brotherhood!

Closer than most will ever know. There has been the sharing and support through joy, sorrow, tragedy, and the many aspects of life. Remember coolpig and his grief and the comfort he said he got from everyone here. I know a true untold story of The Profile Brotherhood. How one act of kindness helped a fellow suffering Bro through several years of emotional turmoil amidst difficult circumstances. I've been working on writing it up for a post. So it is interesting that you would bring up how close Bros get at this time.

Another factor in the slow down, which has been mentioned, is those who have moved on to things outside of RC. Most don't come here much, if at all. The loss of them was/is noticeable as some were the standard bearers, cheerleaders, and organizers. We need people to step up and fill those shoes as best can.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:54 am

yes, some get bored and need a new challenge. me, i step back from time to time for a year or so. keeps me from burning out. about time to start building again, had a lot going on last couple years.
"I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy."- jonathan livingston seagull.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:03 am

Wild Fred wrote:yes, some get bored and need a new challenge. me, i step back from time to time for a year or so. keeps me from burning out. about time to start building again, had a lot going on last couple years.

Please don't think I am criticizing those who do step back or move on to others things. I want to see my fellow Bros do as they desire, live as they see fit at any time, and experiencing life to the fullest. There is a wide range of wonderful things to do and see in this world. Sometimes we have to put our attentions elsewhere because of circumstances beyond our control. Hell, I've been gone for many years myself. I guess all I'm really saying in my often long-winded way is if you are coming by here from time to time, long enough to read through the recent posts, get involved a bit and throw a post or two at a fellow Bro, or share something you done or come across in your travels. If enough guys do so it'll help liven the place up.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:13 am

Straightup wrote:You coming back has added life to the site which is much needed :tu: .

So you're saying being an old, crotchety, mouthy, long-winded bastard is some how a good thing? :lol:
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:00 am

Zombie [2point0] wrote:
Straightup wrote:You coming back has added life to the site which is much needed :tu: .

So you're saying being an old, crotchety, mouthy, long-winded bastard is some how a good thing? :lol:

Well, yeah. :drink:
Tim
tcipolla
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:34 am

tcipolla wrote:
Zombie [2point0] wrote:

+1 :rockon:
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:10 pm

West Coast Bro wrote:
tcipolla wrote:
Zombie [2point0] wrote:So you're saying being an old, crotchety, mouthy, long-winded bastard is some how a good thing? :lol:

+1 :rockon:

See, this right here is why I love The Profile Brotherhood! :lol:
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:08 pm

Hi There! I'm one of the trolls thats always looking and seldom posting. I left the hobby around 2010 because of college (and other distraction) and I'm back as of 2019 and I can't help but feel it's turned into a bit of a ghost town. I think facebook is largely to blame. It wouldn't be so bad if there was ONE place to get together there. I think the problem is there are thousands of small segmented groups. The hobby is already a small enough niche. Once you factor in people splitting into small groups it can really get small.

I'm actually exploring the idea of importing a few profile ARF's and distributing at just a high enough cost to cover my expenses.. Just to get the profiles back out there in the clubs.. Dumb Idea..? Think there is any interest for that?

-Taylor
W.A.R.P.S. feild
Cajun
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:28 pm

Cajun wrote:Hi There! I'm one of the trolls thats always looking and seldom posting.

So fix it. Post more often. :lol:

Cajun wrote:I'm actually exploring the idea of importing a few profile ARF's and distributing at just a high enough cost to cover my expenses.. Just to get the profiles back out there in the clubs.. Dumb Idea..? Think there is any interest for that?

You're not giving us enough information to make a determination. What kind of ARF? Made from what materials? What size? Nitro? Electric? Either? Remember, No Tube, No Love! Do the import ARFs use tubes now?

Here's what No Tube gets ya!
Attachments
brokeback3.jpg
Broke Back 1
brokeback2.jpg
Broke Back 2
brokeback1.jpg
Broke Back 3
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:21 am

Notice how the tail feathers, wings, and motor mounts are all intact and in good shape. It's just the fuse is too weak. These planes all broke from minor dorks. A Bro approved plane with tube would have shaken it off and gone up for more flights.

If you want to interest people in profiles, I don't think imports are the best way to do it. Getting them interested in Bro designed and approved planes would be a better way to go in my opinion.

No Tube, No Love.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:23 am

I think it's just de-evolution at work. there's no one stepping up to take the place of my generation. used to be, kids worked at burger king. now it's mid 50's women at mine. my garbage truck goes by, 2 mid 50's guys operate it. etc. in my trade, most of us over 40. we got 1 trainee, smart but lazy. failed license test twice, won't study. on phone constantly watching gamer videos. and that's about what I've seen out of the 25 and under crowd.

young generation like gaming, spend every day online in a virtual world. why build something? just log on. so, not many youngsters in hobby.
"I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy."- jonathan livingston seagull.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:38 pm

Fred,

That's probably the best explanation I have heard so far. Instant gratification is winning. Younger gen doesn't have patience to build anything. I guess that's why within the hobby, everything is moving towards RTF Foam. Crazy.

Thanks for the comments on the idea to try to get some ARF's imported. Truth is - my interest is not in making money. I just think I have the skills to make some ARF's available to those of us who chose not to take the time to build from sticks. I guess that puts me somewhere on the instant gratification spectrum. My thought was importing the 65" Yak OMP used to distribute. It's still available and being distributed in China.

Ah Yes I have been burnt by the tubeless myself. As long ago as 2008 (OMP 65" yak lol) and as recent as 3 months ago.. That same EF Edge. Funny thing about the edge is that I just swapped in some nice High Torque servos and was all excited and took off with the servos reversed.. I thought it would never happen to me until it did. I almost got her back just fine, a quick wing dip right at touchdown and I corrected the wrong (Right) way. Shame..
Attachments
EF Edge - No Tube No Love.jpeg
W.A.R.P.S. feild
Cajun
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:44 pm

Here is the 65" ARF available from China
Attachments
Yak Profile.jpg
W.A.R.P.S. feild
Cajun
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:25 pm

Cajun wrote:Here is the 65" ARF available from China

Have a link to any specs on it? Know if it has a tube?

Also, there is nothing wrong with making money.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 pm

Zombie [2point0] wrote:
Cajun wrote:Here is the 65" ARF available from China

Have a link to any specs on it? Know if it has a tube?

Also, there is nothing wrong with making money.

No tube, they were sold under the name Aerobees and Redwing.

Flew like crap...
Motowncali
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Pro Bro General Chat