Zombie is building a SPAD & all over the map highjack thread

This is the place to hang and talk.

Zombie is building a SPAD & all over the map highjack thread

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:47 am

NOTE: Posting by other Bros is welcomed on this thread, to include ridicule, hazing, stupid comments, and profanity. In other words, please be yourselves.

My name is Zombie and I’m … uh, ah, … I’m a Spadder.

I have not flown for many years. I have decided to get back to it. So I thought I’d put together something cheap and tough to warm up my fingers and reestablish some brain connections. A Spad will fit that well. I don’t need anything fancy. I just want something to log some basic flight shit, er … time. Basic flight time. And being I’m a Spadder, I’ve never thrown away anything that could possibly be used to build an airframe. So let’s see how this goes.

Hmmm! Here we go! Here’s an old broken Spad fuselage. The last one I ever flew before moving to balsa profiles. That will save me design and layout time. I’ll just copy the bitch. Notice the lightening holes covered with sign vinyl. I drilled a bunch of them but it was a pain in the ass and only shaved a couple ounces off an overweight pig.
Attachments
oldfuse2.jpg
old fuse.jpg
Last edited by Zombie [2point0] on Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Profile Brotherhood Needs You! Post something, dammit!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: Zombie is building a SPAD

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:49 am

Now I need new fuselage materials. Well, I remembered the brand new old stock, full 10 foot stick of rain gutter down spout I had stashed at my biz work shop. I cut off just under a 40 inch piece; leaving me two more fuses should the need or desire ever arise. Brought it home to an airplane bench (I have several narrow and one wide, open on 3 sides).

Shiny gutter pipe even! And an end shot for those of you who don’t know what this stuff is.
Attachments
gutterpipeend2a.jpg
gutterpipenew2.jpg
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:51 am

Need some tail feathers for this girl. Digging through the old parts pile on the top shelf of the open on 3 sides work table I come up with the last set of tail feathers the broken fuselage wore. Hey! They are in fine shape and usable as is (More money and time savings! Yay!)
Attachments
oldtailfeathers2.jpg
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:52 am

Let’s start cutting. Marked-up the fuse based on the old one and then made two design changes just before hacking her up with the Dremel. I ended up with this.
Attachments
newfuserear2.jpg
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:53 am

I cut out a couple doublers from gutter pipe scrap, dug out a few screws, and fired up the drill and driver and mounted the tail feathers. Looked through my wheel box and came up with the tail wheel from my first SPAD, the plane I used to learned how to fly. This tail wheel was hand bent by Zombie himself before acquiring a wire bender. Mounting block is cut from a piece of translucent plastic cutting board. And yes, it is steerable (for the random chance she flies off a paved strip) - hooked to the rudder with zip ties (It’s mandatory to use zip ties on Spads).
Attachments
finaltail2.jpg
tailwheel.jpg
Last edited by Zombie [2point0] on Mon May 25, 2020 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:54 am

Let’s get to work on the front of the plane.

Back to the pile of shit … er, … salvaged and saved treasures under the wide and open on 3 sides table …

A little more digging and I find the chunk of translucent plastic cutting board that I have been cutting pieces off of since god was young. It was a big bastard to start with. There is still plenty for a tiny firewall. With a little rounding of the corners to fit, and drilling the mounting holes, it looks like this.
Attachments
firewall2.jpg
Last edited by Zombie [2point0] on Mon May 25, 2020 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:55 am

Well, damn, USPS dropped the ball and did not deliver the engine mount as expected. Have to wait until that shows.

Play Jeopardy theme music:

Da da da da da da da, da da da da DA de dab be da ba …

Okay mounts showed up from Ohio Superstar Products (When the hell did they change the name? I thought it was Ohio Model Products. Sheesh!) Being the wise man that I am I ordered two of the Fiber Filled Motor Mounts (Standard) 4650-4650 .46-.50 for the modest sum of $16.85 delivered. Always have a back-up!

But I find I do not have my favored mounting screws, one inch #6 hex head. There are none to be found after tearing the place apart. And it’s currently approaching midnight so a hardware run is out of the question (yes, I got a late start tonight).

In the true Spadder fashion I make do with what’s on hand. One inch #6 Phillips head in white.

Oh, that looks like ass …!

At least it’s structurally sound.

The holes in the center are for the fuel tank plumbing.
Attachments
enginemount2A.jpg
Last edited by Zombie [2point0] on Mon May 25, 2020 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:56 am

I sold my favored and treasured pair of YS .63 engines some years ago, after quitting flying several years before that. I needed food funds for the kids as they were starting to ask about long pig while staring at me in the dark as I was trying to sleep. I’m okay with this decision as I have no 40 size planes to put them on, other than this plastic thing. And I’m planning on putting any future funds available into 60 size and small electrics. But low and behold I still have my first airplane engine, a Thunder Tiger Pro .46. It certainly will not hover this airframe but it will give me some rock solid dependable basic air time. And this is all I’ll ask of it. This has been confirmed by a run on the test stand, which was successful after I changed the faulty clunk line in the fuel tank.

I used to have a tuned pipe on this but destroyed it in the crash that broke the fuse. Yes, I’m too cheap to buy a new one. So, it’s back to the stock muffler.

The easiest way to handle all the components on and in the front of these gutter pipe planes is to assemble it all as a cartridge outside of the plane on the bench. The engine, on the mount, attached to the firewall with the tank and fuel lines run through, and even the servo rod for the throttle attached. Once all that is assembled it is merely a matter of sliding it into the pipe and putting the firewall wall screws in.
Attachments
enginecartridge2.jpg
enginemounted2.jpg
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:58 am

Next I need a wing. I want it to play with the balance and CG before committing to servo and landing gear placement. With the wing temporarily attached I can move it and the other components around until I get everything placed as desired. I’m planning an RNAF wing – 2mill coroplastic top and 4 mill coro bottom. I’ll post again as that progresses.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:19 am

delete
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:15 am

Way back from when I was first learning 3D, I built this one in the proportions of a Mojo but with an edge style wing, which is easier with coro. Saito 82 and just a tick under 5lbs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6xeuWjzE-8

Here one version of a PBF I did (there were many).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhSDciwI_yc

This one is for prosperity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfr64zoBTAQ
"That can't be un-fucked" - Clay @Nash 2012
Fly like you have no tomorrows.

*Asshole Disclaimer*
If you think you have been offended, please unread this post.
Mike
ThumbSkull
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:08 am

ThumbSkull wrote:Way back from when I was first learning 3D, I built this one in the proportions of a Mojo but with an edge style wing, which is easier with coro. Saito 82 and just a tick under 5lbs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6xeuWjzE-8

Nice flying! I built Chris' Coro Edge design that uses the all 2-mill wing. The wing is really a fast build. Had one of my YS .63s on it and banged it up for quite a bit. I never flew it as well as you fly the one shown. I was still trying to get the hang of 3D flight when I went into hiatus. I actually still have another completed Coro Edge fuselage buried in one of the piles at my biz shop. Hmmm! Maybe I'll have to ... Nope, no proper engine, no! Not gonna do it!

ThumbSkull wrote:Here one version of a PBF I did (there were many).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhSDciwI_yc

Ah, yes. Pizza Box Flier! Thanks for prompting me about these. I never did build or fly one. I may have to do so until I get the hang of this 3D work. Many years ago some of the guys told me it was helpful. The TT would work fine for that.

ThumbSkull wrote:This one is for prosperity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfr64zoBTAQ

No comment ...

Thanks for dropping by and posting!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:37 pm

Cool! It's so fun beating the tar out of a SPAD!
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:27 pm

So I went to the Biz shop today to hopefully get a wing going. That’s where I keep what’s left of my coro-plastic. Surprisingly, I could not find any new 4-mill material for the wing bottom. The only 4-mill left in the place was the leftover half of the cigarette signs used to make my first SPAD. See, I told you I was a Spadder. True-Blue Spadders never get rid of something that can possibly be useful at a future date.

Looking at the price of Liggett cigarettes back then, seems we’ve had a bit of inflation. Liggetts are pushing 7 bucks a pack here now. Thanks Uncle Sam and Fed Reserve! You’ve served us up well.
Attachments
smokesigns.jpg
Last edited by Zombie [2point0] on Mon May 25, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:30 pm

While digging for 4-mill Coro I did find what I mentioned earlier – the unused Coro-Edge fuselage. Also found new ailerons and rudder, all cut for it. There is also a spar made for this creature’s wing that never got built. And just to add more to the never get rid of it category, I found the rudder from the Coro-Edge that I did get into the air. As I recall that’s all that was salvageable.

Gee! There’s almost a complete airframe here. All one need do is wrap the spar with some 2-mill while gluing in the ailerons. Marry up the wing and fuse. Maybe add a balsa built rudder and elevator (the coro ones kinda suck and lose shape too easy when this large). Then it would just be a matter of stuffing it – and I like that part.

Maybe I’m starting to miss a YS .63 now … just a little bit.
Attachments
coroedge.jpg
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:50 pm

So I did get some of the wing coro cut today for the gutter pipe SPAD. Here’s a shot of the wing bottom made from the smoke signs. The flute cut has been made to activate the ailerons. I have the SPAR parts all cut out but that story will have to wait until I glue it up.
Attachments
newwingbottom.jpg
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:52 pm

So what are you waiting for..........get'er dunn. :tu:

I know about going through the old piles......found my original templates for cutting the depron Sabres' and a half cut FoMoJo. :roll: :lol:
The ZZ Top looking, anal Bastage Bro.

I fly just enough to stay rusty.
PAR
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:02 pm

PAR wrote:So what are you waiting for..........get'er dunn. :tu:

Well, I was buying some good time with the bride by power-raking the lawn. :wink:

PAR wrote: ......found my original templates for cutting the depron Sabres' and a half cut FoMoJo. :roll: :lol:

Cool! Historical artifacts! :lol:
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:14 pm

Zombie [2point0] wrote:
PAR wrote:So what are you waiting for..........get'er dunn. :tu:

Well, I was buying some good time with the bride by power-raking the lawn. :wink:

PAR wrote: ......found my original templates for cutting the depron Sabres' and a half cut FoMoJo. :roll: :lol:

Cool! Historical artifacts! :lol:

OK. Keeping the better half happy is always a good thing. :tu:

Yeah....sometimes I feel like a museum curator around here. :lol: :drink:
The ZZ Top looking, anal Bastage Bro.

I fly just enough to stay rusty.
PAR
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:04 pm

After buying some good time by power-raking the Bride’s lawn (I don’t want to claim it because then I’ll have to do more work to it) I got some spar work done.

I started with 3 of these cool 1/8 inch by 1-1/16 inch wood strips. I got a whole box of them given to me many years ago and they have been a mainstay of my SPAD building. I think they are Poplar. I’ve used them in many spars. I’ve even ripped them to ridiculously small dimensions and shoved them into the flutes of the coroplastic to stiffen stabilizers, rudders, elevators and ailerons. If you go back up thread to the tail feather pictures you can see the shadows of them in the flutes. Don’t ask me how I so successfully ripped them so small. It’s a Zombie skill and very dangerous. If I told you I would open myself up to all sorts of liability issues when you fucked yourself up trying it.

Anyway, I cut 3 of them to 23 inches – half the span of the wing less the 3/4 of an inch I need on the wingtips for the foam plugs to close them up. I butt-glued two of them together end to end, and glued and then overlapped the third piece on the first two, centered. I then put on the pressure with clamps until dry. Notice I shoved all three sticks against my door jamb level as I clamped it up so that the spar will be nice and straight.
Attachments
sticks.jpg
woodglue.jpg
Last edited by Zombie [2point0] on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Pro Bro General Chat