Zombie is building a SPAD

This is the place to hang and talk.

Re: Zombie is building a SPAD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:45 pm

Don't be fooled by square tubes. The thin spots on the sides are weak and easily fracture when the tube is twisted.
Attachments
squaretube.jpg
:hover: McDDD #415

˙ʇᴉ op oʇ ʍoɥ ʇno ǝɹnƃᴉɟ ʇ,uɐɔ I ʇnq 'looɔ sʞool ʇxǝʇ spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpᴉsd∩
McDDD
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:39 pm

you are probley right,best use whats been proven. have you been using them thums.to hot down here 106 index,hard to fly one handed,rag in other.started covering hots.one old new roll of covering pealed paint removing clear,buying closed out covering might not be such a deal.taking pics, post later.not much post,nobody flying, building,crashing,cleaning shop.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:22 pm

i ment the thums question to zombie.glued wings, sta,hor, on hots. ended up 1/2 degree pos.lots extra work building from scratch.monacote still sucks,light yes,pain yes.a carperter reads rule,cu thankts,oh shit,get next board. welder adds filler.im a welder.thankgoodness i have air in shop,xm radio,bunch ,i mean bunch led 48 watt strip lights,work great.help old eyes.what size wire for landing gear,4 pound hots,dont mind bending back every few landings.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:35 pm

hi again. have plans for mojo 60.cant find build manuel.sparkplug wishing he had mojo.everyone else does.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:36 pm

sparkplug wrote:i ment the thums question to zombie.

Yeah, got out Saturday morning and beat the SPAD a bit more. No wind so she dropped like a rock on the landings - unless I came in a bit hot - which I didn't a couple times. So I had to give a little attention to landing gear between flights. My instincts were correct on using a SPAD to try and get my thumbs back. I probably would have destroyed a couple balsa planes by now. Thumbs are still stupid. Sigh! Doing terrible at picking this back up. Have no intentions of giving up however.

I like Ultracote better than Monokote. Quit using Mono since my first Ultracote job. Have a roll of two of Mono around I may use for trim someday.
Last edited by Zombie [2point0] on Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Profile Brotherhood Needs You! Post something, dammit!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:06 pm

may not be all your thums,heavy planes tend to fly hard.i first restarded with 60 arf heavy traner,used, given to me.had a 46,berlay flew,put 60 on,reset wing incendence,still flew like junk.fixed stick plane so much better when plane wants to fly.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:12 pm

sparkplug wrote:may not be all your thums,heavy planes tend to fly hard.i first restarded with 60 arf heavy traner,used, given to me.had a 46,berlay flew,put 60 on,reset wing incendence,still flew like junk.fixed stick plane so much better when plane wants to fly.

This one wants to fly. Just faster than I'd like. :lol:
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:02 pm

zombie,got that spad charged up,if not to hot maybe i fly sat.i talked to doug, sounds like hes getting close to chaching up. wiggle them thums tonight.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:52 pm

sparkplug wrote:zombie,got that spad charged up ...

No flying for Zombie today. Helping one of my sons stuff a 22RE into his pickup.

Hope you get out, or did get out, flying today, sparkplug.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:46 pm

went to field,hay tractors been driving on strip again,asshoes.flew stick,074 started first try.good flying,but hot.flew uproar,driping now. time to stop,brain fades as i get hot.hey, got two flights,nothing broke,two good landings.come on fall.sail boat creeping in on field,hay bales on three sides,tractors parked under my pecane tree,everybody trying to get my shade.good greaf.better to been working on truck,naaa.my site is next to main highway, got to thinking,trucks no mufflers,pulling boats from lake,hogs, no mufflers,18 wheelers, lould muffs,cars with boom boom,and they say rc is loud.there were times couldnot hear my planes.forgive me,rambleing on.get off couch guys,build, fly, crash,bitch,clean shop,but post something.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:01 pm

hi zombie,got the boys woke up.look on morris hobbys,you ant still under truck are you.removed engine,rebuilt,installed on a rave 4 while back,not like old cars,sucks.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:14 pm

zombie,your not stuck under truck i hope.worked on hots last night,installed servos.bros got me weight waching,looks like 3.5lps, maybe 3lps,if im lucky.never weighed engines before,ant much deferance between 25,11oz 35,13oz, 40 or 46,16oz,guess will build plane, add engine last to balance.mojo 60 at 5lps,wow,no wonder they float.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:45 pm

sparkplug wrote:zombie,your not stuck under truck i hope.

No. Some embers of my past flared up a bit and I had to do a bit of firefighting to get them under control. Such endeavours always leave me a bit depressed so I withdraw until my mental state recovers.

sparkplug wrote:worked on hots last night,installed servos.bros got me weight waching,looks like 3.5lps, maybe 3lps,if im lucky.

Cool! Good luck! Git er done!

sparkplug wrote:mojo 60 at 5lps,wow,no wonder they float.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised with the final weight on my Mojo 60. Even more surprised with the way it flies. Float is maybe one way to describe it. Better is probably, light on the wing. Yet, its responsiveness to the controls is absolutely amazing. Crisp and precise. I'm going to try some of the small electrics. But I've pretty much given up on 40 size birds after the Mojo 60. Amazing difference to me. Besides, my broke old ass would have to try and hunt down and buy a YS .63 or .80 4-stroke to fly that size bird again. LOL

If I had the cash to spare I'd be all over that Saito .100 Joebob is trying to sell. Put it on the shelf for when Doug gets around to kiting something in the 60 class. Or maybe scratch something that size or another Mojo 60 this winter.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 am

Andy and a few others like their Mojo 60's up around 6.5-7lbs. There was a video around of them strapping on a crescent wrench to add some weight for testing. I prefer mine lighter and potentially slower because my thumbs aren't as fast as my servos. Mine is right at 6lbs with a YS110.
"That can't be un-fucked" - Clay @Nash 2012
Fly like you have no tomorrows.

*Asshole Disclaimer*
If you think you have been offended, please unread this post.
Mike
ThumbSkull
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:36 am

ThumbSkull wrote:Andy and a few others like their Mojo 60's up around 6.5-7lbs.

Well that's interesting, and something I did not know - so I appreciate you bringing it to our attention. I can see then why some have larger engines on them than a Saito 100. Your choice of the YS is spot on as far as I'm concerned. Have I mentioned I'm a YS lover? :lol:
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:16 pm

hi zombie,glad your back,ant no fun when our bodys hurt,getting old not for wusseys. ok,what size best for mojo 60,seems 100 is enought,120 a bit much,but i guess depends on weight.would not thought mojo 60 would fly good at 7lps,lerened bit more.did you read morris hobbys post.hoped to narrow down best planes for new guys.kinda fiz out.still think need top ten list,guess its got to be top ten glow,top ten el. not the best flying over all,best for new guys,easy to build,easy to fly,better ground bounce.while im at it,carbon fiber strips,anybody got opinions,are they worth it. working in the rain makes us sick,fishing in the rain makes us better.sparkplug,still dreaming about mojos,soon boat season over,have time then.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:50 pm

anyway,should have known,cant put a zombie down,at least it ant easy.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:52 pm

anyway, should have known,cant put a zombie down,at lest ant easy.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:09 pm

sparkplug wrote:anyway,should have known,cant put a zombie down,at least it ant easy.

Nope! It's not!

A Mojo 60 light will do fine with a .100. If you want ballistic or it's heavy go bigger. I like ThumbSkull's choice of a YS .110 - but I don't have trouble tuning YS engines like some guys do. If money was no issue that would be my choice hand's down. Love YS power. But it's pricey and the only way I'd buy another YS is new.

Having said that, I've been happy with my Saito .100 too. But YS is my preferred.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:59 pm

sparkplug wrote: ...did you read morris hobbys post.hoped to narrow down best planes for new guys.kinda fiz out.still think need top ten list,guess its got to be top ten glow,top ten el. not the best flying over all,best for new guys,easy to build,easy to fly,better ground bounce.while im at it,carbon fiber strips,anybody got opinions,are they worth it.

You're asking a tough question to answer, sparkplug. Probably why it didn't get much traction. So much of "best" plane is a matter of flying style and personal choice. So many planes are of older design and don't perform as well as newer ones. Some very good planes are not available as kits and plans are difficult to acquire. And then there is the old "this has been asked ten thousand times" - so guys get tired of responding.

There is so much still relevant information buried in this site. You just need to learn to use the search function. You can find a plane name and then do a search on it and get back virtually anything you might want to know. If not, then at least you can get your post to be more specific about a certain aspect of a particular profile - which will have a better chance of getting a reply.

You can also cruise the menus and just open any thread title that catches your interest. Read it. It may direct you to another thread or thought that you can then follow. Next thing you know you'll have slid down the rabbit hole where you see and read many wonderful things.

You want to know more about carbon fiber strips? Type it in the search box and then go check the results! I got 74 hits when I did so.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Bro General Chat