Zombie is building a SPAD

This is the place to hang and talk.

Re: Zombie is building a SPAD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:29 am

PAR wrote:Just had to post this one.

Oh, my! I like that! The plane is very nice too!
The Profile Brotherhood Needs You! Post something, dammit!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:30 pm

So this SPAD is done and ready for the air. I had hoped to fly it before now. Finding a spot to fly the SPAD Rogue is proving a bit more difficult than I anticipated. Unfortunately, I need to renew my AMA and local club membership to fly at the local RC field - to the tune of 160 bucks. Hmm. That will go a long ways to cover my electric flight adventures which I can do 3 blocks away. Budget won't do both right now. I'll post a flight report here for the SPAD just as soon as I find a place to fly it.

Here's a couple pics of her all together.

If the engine proves up I'll spring for a Higley lightweight prop nut and dump the spinner.

Cash paid out for the build was 8 bucks and change for the motor mount and 5 bucks for a flight battery pack - so 13 bucks and change. Gee, proper recycling can save money!
Attachments
spad.jpg
spadtop.jpg
spadbottom.jpg
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:29 am

Looks great!
Doug G Designs & Kit Cutting
Doug G
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:42 am

Nice Zombie! Looks like a winner to me! :rockon:
"Is it me or do those ailerons looks small?" - Dhooks

Fly it till it falls apart!! pro-bro #2162
FlightCrazed
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:50 am

Thanks, guys.

The price was sure a winner if nothing else! :lol:
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:38 am

Love the industrial look of the holes drilled in the landing gear.

My kids never laughed so hard as the time when I lost control(must have been a brownout) and drive mine straight into the ground!
sleepin
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:01 pm

sleepin wrote:Love the industrial look of the holes drilled in the landing gear.

Now that you mention it ... :lol:

I drilled them when I made the gear years ago hoping to drop some weight. I was surprised at how little difference it made. If I had made the holes any bigger it probably would have fractured long ago however - as I've beat it with a hammer to straighten it out more times than I could count.

sleepin wrote: My kids never laughed so hard as the time when I lost control(must have been a brownout) and drive mine straight into the ground!

To be fair to your kids, I probably would have laughed too! Cartwheel landings are always good for laughs also - as you are mostly likely aware.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:14 pm

So have you flown it yet?
:hover: McDDD #415

˙ʇᴉ op oʇ ʍoɥ ʇno ǝɹnƃᴉɟ ʇ,uɐɔ I ʇnq 'looɔ sʞool ʇxǝʇ spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpᴉsd∩
McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:05 pm

McDDD wrote:So have you flown it yet?

Nope! High winds and heavy rains kept me grounded. The good part of that is I've almost wrapped the frame up of my Slide 360-35. Covering is supposed to land here Tuesday so I'll be ready for it. :D
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:07 pm

looks real good, how much do you think it weighs. looks strong ,bet it could bounce off a sailboat.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:21 pm

sparkplug wrote:looks real good, how much do you think it weighs. looks strong ,bet it could bounce off a sailboat.

:rofl:

It weighs too damn much! But it is a tough bugger. Don't know that it will survive a sailboat. Think I'll avoid that if possible. Shouldn't be hard to do where I'm at. :lol:
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:54 pm

Looks great :rockon:
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:08 pm

did you take to the air, sore like a elgeal with the spad.got invited to fly at old friends nice open airstrip.no boats, trees but still real hot down here. got fuse on hots done, cut out ribs today.not a mojo ,but a start.got no responce on building hots,guess no one in bros ever flew one.hard to get guys to post, no one even liked my phone joke.sparkplug still little fouled.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:55 pm

Stay with us Sparkplug! This is still the best place!
A never had a Hot's but noticed that they go for big :cash: :cash: on ebay..
Do a search here for hots. There were a few Bro's that did a larger size version.
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:02 pm

thanks.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:18 pm

Sorry for the lagging reply. Got a bit hectic this week into the weekend. Did get this SPAD in the air. Full flight report later today or this evening.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:34 pm

So I finally found a nice place to fly this SPAD on Friday - a sod farm. It’s a very nice place. I prefer it to the asphalt field of the local club. It also doesn’t cost any money to fly there as the owners offer it up as a community service. I didn’t have to cough up the 160 bucks the club flying would have required. It was a glorious blue sky day, lots of sun, and a 3MPH breathe of air out of the SW. I was there by 9:00 AM so the temperature was very pleasant. I was totally alone – which was a good thing.

I spent longer than I care to admit dialing in the low end as the Thunder Tiger Pro .46 did not want to transition well when I throttled up. Finally got it to the sweet spot, however. Prop is a 12.25x3.75.

I told myself, “Let’s do this” and put it in the air. My take off was fine but she wanted to climb significantly, so I throttled her back and gave her a couple clicks of down trim, and then a couple more … Better! Hmmm! A few clicks of left aileron. Yup! That’s about all it took to get her roughed off.

But she was touchy! Oh, so touchy! I had dual rates set up and was on low rates. My inputs produced very erratic changes in flight however – nothing very smooth. I concentrated on making small inputs and then just worked some basic circles and figure 8s to try and get the thumbs awake. Next was a couple low and slow passes to get into the landing groove. Worked out okay and I finally just brought her in for a bit hard but safe landing.

She survived her Maiden. And after better than a decade Zombie had flown again.

(More coming)
Attachments
maiden1.jpg
maiden2.jpg
She looks eager to go, doesn't she?
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:37 pm

I decided to keep on flying. At one point I decided to try to tame things so I hurriedly dialed the low rates down a bit more. Stupid Mistake. I should have just added some expo – as I had none. While it made this plane a bit easier to fly, the problem, I realized while in the air of course, was my hands were just not capable of making very small, smooth inputs on the sticks. So what I had done is set myself up – and yes the time came when I needed the larger surface deflection to recover, but it wasn’t there. So I crashed this girl.

I was swinging in for a low and slow pass (a heavy SPAD slow is not real slow like a 3D plane) and it rolled off and got ahead of me. I tried to chase it but with the low rates I didn’t have enough deflection of the control surfaces to catch it. She dragged a wingtip and swung the nose right into the ground with an ass over tumble to boot.

The crash broke my new 8 buck and change motor mount clean off - broke throttle servo arm - broke the prop, of course. It tore the elevator half way off the stabilizer - broke rudder servo loose - tore landing gear off (and mangled it) which broke a hole in the rear portion of the fuselage. Wing has a scuffed leading edge near the wing tip and a 2-inch tear in the coroplastic hinge line where the rubber bands sliced it when it went askew.

Friday afternoon I contemplated my pitiful performance and my RC future.

(More coming)
Attachments
maiden3.jpg
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:41 pm

Friday evening I put it all back together.

Remember that I bought 2 motor mounts? Yup, so I had one hanging on the wall for replacement. I remounted the now cleaned up engine, replaced the broken servo arm, checked out the servo for function, slop, and broken gears and hooked up the throttle push rod.

Got out the hammer and beat the landing gear straight again – with only god knowing how many times this makes … Remounted it after taking one of the axles loose and hammering it straight also and reinstalling it.

I took the tail feathers off to fix the elevator. Next I cleaned the fuel exhaust goo off the elevator and stabilizer very meticulously. 2/3rds of the coroplastic hinge was totaled, so I cut the bad part off. I don’t have any fibered packing tape around so I dug out the Gorilla Tape – black of course. It was also used to patch the hole in the fuse. I reassembled the tail and remounted the rudder servo - hooked up tail pushrods and checked out servos.

Put a new prop on the engine and she looked ready to go.

I had a few non RC things to do Saturday and the weather was not great – so I didn’t go flying again. The day was spent, off and on, rethinking, refiguring, and adjusting things.

See, I have had my doubts about flying again. I’ve spent the last 45 years working construction to try and make ends meet. In the last decade I developed a pretty rowdy case of tendonosis in my hands and arms. Consequently, my fine motor control and finger dexterity is not nearly what it used to be. So I changed and reprogrammed things to accommodate that as much as possible.

My JR X9303 transmitter has adjustable sticks so I shortened them as much as possible to decrease the leverage – consequently, I have to move the stick farther when giving inputs. I increased the low rates significantly and then dialed in a fair amount of expo so I will have the deflection I need when I need it, but things are not quite so sensitive while I just putz around playing circle jerk – trying to get back my brain connections to the fingers.

I also suspected my center of gravity was off so I moved the wing back a fair amount to take some weight off the tail.

And then I saw the weather forecast for Sunday was glorious. So I climbed into bed Saturday night anticipating another round with this bird. I had not mentioned anything to my bride about such. “You’re going flying in the morning,” says she. It wasn’t a question. Funny how they always know …

(More coming)
Last edited by Zombie [2point0] on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:22 pm

Sunday morning was if the RC gods were doing what they could to help me. I could not have asked for a nicer day. I had glorious weather and acres of freshly mowed lawn to fly from. Again, it was a solo event with no company.

I had not started the engine since the crash. Yes, I know, it was silly of me to drive all the way out there without even knowing if the engine would run. I had inspected it rather carefully and replaced the glowplug, so I was confident. It fired right up without difficulty of any kind. A small tweek to both the high and low and it was idling and transitioning better than on Friday. Hmmm! A good omen!

So off I sent her into the wild blue yonder …

This plane handles much, much better. Not that I could fly it any better. But, I think I have it set up pretty well, now. I can actually fly it somewhat smoothly if I don’t try anything crazy. But the better setup of the plane magnifies the deterioration my hands and fingers have suffered. After a couple flights of just circles, figure 8s, and landing approaches I shot a few loops – big and easy at first, then pulled one hard with stick full throw and this thing looped so tight it almost caught its own tail. LOL.

This plane weighs 5lbs 4oz (which is more than my Mojo 60) but the little Thunder Tiger .46 hauls it around just fine for the plane she is. I was cruising around nicely at a little over ½ throttle and other than the loop up lines, which it handled with authority, I had no desire to fly any faster – although it would have had I asked it to.

This is a good basic stick-time plane, that will do a little wild and crazy due to the larger control surfaces – a winner. And yes, after multiple flights I brought her home all in one piece today.

But, Gobs! I’m having to learn to fly all over again – while impaired to boot. There is little to nothing in Zombie’s flight skills department. (Sigh!)
Attachments
round2.jpg
Repaired and ready for Day 2!
round2field.jpg
My gob, I do love this field!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PreviousNext

Return to Pro Bro General Chat