20cc gassers/glow conversions

Gas and Glow Engine discussion

20cc gassers/glow conversions

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:03 pm

Bringing some ideas to the table- we all try to keep our profile birds on a strict weight loss program to an extent. Has anyone considered a OS g5 plug? If it works as advertised, it would eliminate the ignition box and extra battery on a dle or any gas engine with a plug adapter. Or the possibility of converting glow. What’s your thoughts on the subject? I’ve seen videos of weed eaters and Briggs & Stratton’s running on this plug. Here’s a simple video of a DLE running https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 3Aspe8Tbe0
Heinz57
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: 20cc gassers/glow conversions

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:05 pm

You won't find a current 20cc Gasser that runs better than an OS22GT.

From what I've seen from the gas glow engines in smaller size they suck in the real world.
Wild Fred is the smartest man I know.... If you don't believe me just ask him!

Cappy needs a WF built L4 scheme Lazy Bee with ailerons.

B&E Graphix-> www.BandEGraphix.com
Planewrappers-> www.planewrappers.com
capthis
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:14 pm

From what I’ve read, the g5 gas motors from OS, are ok running, but they don’t have rapid transition or the top end of a similar glow displacement. Great for a trainer or sport flyer.
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:33 am

tarzan says anything but slow advance on throttle and they die. and tarzan (colton clark) is one of the few who I bow to... the dr. is another...but only on wemon advice.
"I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy."- jonathan livingston seagull.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:29 am

you would think,as much as they cost they could put enrichment pump in carb and offer there own tuned pipe.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:37 am

20 cc is too heavy and low powered for anything other than a circle bird.
1) Whistlepig Rye
2) Bookers
3) High West Double Rye
4) Blanton's
5) Bakers
6) Woodford
7) four roses small batch
8) Berheim's Rye
9) Widow Jane
10) Black maple hill
Dr Constrictor
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:01 pm

You could always slap one of these together in a few beers and test out some mills...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjllLkfCANM
kamlooper
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Dr Constrictor wrote:20 cc is too heavy and low powered for anything other than a circle bird.

In the good Dr’s opinion....... Many others around here would have a contradictory position. My experience has been great. No doubt glow is lighter and simpler and electric has its strong points as well. However, for economy and the ease of finding fuel 20 cc gassers are awfully hard to beat. Cappy will tell you there are no others but the OS 22, my experience after owning one is that they are awesome but not worth the asking price of new. Used at discount rates I would buy another in a heartbeat. My DLE and Vally Views are fine and fit the budget better. Just make sure whatever you buy has a Walbro carb. In my experience they make all the difference, some of the clone carbs run, others don’t, it’s the one thing I’m not willing to compromise on.
Vince L
VinceL
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:33 pm

YS FZ 140 is an ok 23cc :mrgreen:
Mine always runs great.
The Argentinian Pro Bro!!!!!!!!!!!

And now proud member of the RMM.
gus
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:15 pm

Thanks for the honest opinions bro’s. Thats my favorite thing about this site, people tell it like it is. I was just really curious if there was a possible weight savings here. Ignition and battery. I actually purchased the vvrc that Vince & wild Fred spoke very highly of in another thread. I wouldn’t count gas out on larger airplanes. Recently I picked up a old Sig 4 star 120 with a zenoah 20cc. Something I’ve been fooling with for my dad and I to fly. The batteries had to be pushed all the way forward to get the CG right. Put it on maiden, it ran outstanding! I realize that’s a “circle” airplane but I’m really looking forward to flying a slab on one! :rockoncool:
Heinz57
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:15 pm

dont count out that 4star,good plane still today. i got 40,,60 and 120 new kits in the box,one day to build. old gasers were heavy,but run good,cheap to feed. not 3d,but thats ok,still fun and you get to learn alot. been here 200 days,ant got a 3d plane going yet.2 mojos in mail and old 67 fusion putting together now,have 20cc vv gas for it. you keep flying,3d will come. i be glad to have ready to fly 120 in my fleet.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:19 pm

Spark plug- I’ve always had as soft spot for the four stars! You may get a kick out of this. The red one is a scratch built 35 inch wing span. The burgundy 40 w saito 80 is also scratch built. Both 20+ years old and still flying! The yellow is the 120. Had to recover the fuse but it flys great too. Dad got me into profiles in the 90s but now days after his cataract surgery. The four star is a little more easy to keep track of for him. :tu:
Attachments
18832BAD-D19A-4DA2-AE21-DD09DF1FB3D1.jpeg
E2757090-9536-425A-85B5-EAE03BD99876.jpeg
Heinz57
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:13 pm

all look good. what engine is in that 35in. still good airframes,had a astrohog,full balsa sheeted,fox 74. smoothest flying plane i ever had. would do nice flat spin,1 servo in wing 43oz ,on 72 inch plane. sig kitted some very nice planes. got to thinking still have a hog , hog bipe,2spacewalkers 4, 4stars maybe few others. bros ant the only horders. if they run me off,got life time of fatties to build and tigers to pull them,weight dont matter.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:35 pm

forgot,got a great planes trainer 40 full sheeted,painted ready for engine and radio. not pt trainer with flat bottom wing. a very outstanding top wing plane.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:58 pm

well,conversion kind of dryed up. zombie,bit back,you said you would not buy used ys 4st engines. i no nothing of ys4st, please tell me more. always inquiring sparkplug,or him again.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:05 pm

Dr Constrictor wrote:20 cc is too heavy and low powered for anything other than a circle bird.

:lol: yeah, my bipe and mono foam 20cc birds only fly circles. search wildcrazed on youtube, you'll see what turds they are. :roll:
"I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy."- jonathan livingston seagull.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:08 pm

if you move the canopy forward to where the front is about the wing l.e., lose the ply fuse- balsa with a 1/16 ply front doubler. i did a build thread somewhere on mods. 3.5 lb. 4 star that k.e. and hovers fine. did a kougar with similar fuse mod, thing flew awesome.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:10 pm

sparkplug wrote:well,conversion kind of dryed up. zombie,bit back,you said you would not buy used ys 4st engines. i no nothing of ys4st, please tell me more. always inquiring sparkplug,or him again.

i wouldn't buy a ys new or used. better options out there. they are good for plowing thru cow pies, i hear.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:49 pm

VinceL wrote:

In the good Dr’s opinion....... Many others around here would have a contradictory position. My experience has been great. No doubt glow is lighter and simpler and electric has its strong points as well. However, for economy and the ease of finding fuel 20 cc gassers are awfully hard to beat. Cappy will tell you there are no others but the OS 22, my experience after owning one is that they are awesome but not worth the asking price of new. Used at discount rates I would buy another in a heartbeat. My DLE and Vally Views are fine and fit the budget better. Just make sure whatever you buy has a Walbro carb. In my experience they make all the difference, some of the clone carbs run, others don’t, it’s the one thing I’m not willing to compromise on.

This is the probro site. We like "Bro power" gassers are the heaviest, lowest power of all 3 options. picking the lowest power option, just because gas is cheap ain't "probro" its circle flyer getting by. :roll:
1) Whistlepig Rye
2) Bookers
3) High West Double Rye
4) Blanton's
5) Bakers
6) Woodford
7) four roses small batch
8) Berheim's Rye
9) Widow Jane
10) Black maple hill
Dr Constrictor
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:58 pm

sparkplug wrote:well,conversion kind of dryed up. zombie,bit back,you said you would not buy used ys 4st engines. i no nothing of ys4st, please tell me more. always inquiring sparkplug,or him again.

Hmmm! Don't remember what I said on that or context - not that that is important.

I would always prefer a new engine. Who wouldn't? But if a guy knows how to change bearings and rebuild engines used ones can be a good opportunity. I had two YS .63S 4-strokes. Bought first one new before my life blew up - so I was able to afford it. I learned how to treat and tune it. It never dead sticked on me. Ran like a champ. Was a power house right up to when I sold it. This one 4-stroke engine was RC life-changing to me - converted me into a true 4-stroke fanatic. Never flew 2- strokes again until this recent SPAD build - and only cause I have no 40 size 4- strokes anymore.

Bought second one used, at a bit below half new price. Guy selling it could not make it run well. Rebuilt it with new bearings, gaskets, and a regulator kit. Ran just as flawlessly as the new one - the only flaw was cosmetic - plier marks previous owner left on the drive washer. I sold it same time as new one. Kids had empty bellies - cupboards and wallet were empty - or I would not have parted with them.

YS engines are a bit different than Saitos. They pressurize the fuel tank, run a one way valve in the fuel line, and have regulators that feed the engine differently at very low throttle and mid to high throttle. Just a bit more learning to make them run well.

So, what do I think? 4-strokes, Baby! :rockon: And while I really loved my YS, I like the Saito .100 too.

I might be wrong here but I have a hunch, with so many guys going electric, there are probably a few Saito .72 and .82, and maybe even a YS .63, collecting dust in the Bros' shops. If a guy was to put out the call you want one or two, maybe someone would part with 'em.

Nothing like a Bro sized 4-stroke on a profile. It is an experience no serious RC Flier should miss ... IMHO.

If you can't get your hands on a Saito .100 for your Mojo 60, that .91 you have would do in a pinch - if you have it running strong.
The Profile Brotherhood Needs You! Post something, dammit!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Engines