Radio advise

Radio, Battery and General Electronic discussions.

Radio advise

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:23 pm

I need to purchase a new radio system for my Mojo 60 and hopefully a 50cc plane in the future. Would like to stay with Futaba as that is what I used in the AM days. I read about how some receivers cannot handle the current of high torque servos and cannot find any current handling specs for Futaba receivers.

Any suggestions for which Futaba receiver can handle the most current?

How many channels does a guy need for a 50cc plane?

Has anyone experienced the FASST protocol offering noticeable better range than T-FHSS / S-FHSS? If so how much extra distance?

Does anyone with telemetry use it while flying to monitor receiver battery voltage or did you end up not looking down at the display while flying? I am on the fence as to whether I should get the telemetry. The technology is very impressive as compared to radios from decades ago.

Do any of these new radios give you any indication that the receiver is close to losing the TX signal?

Any reason not to buy Futaba except the price? Any problems with current models?

Mojo 60 in construction
1-1/2” shorty
Peace and chicken grease
Montana3D
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: Radio advise

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:14 pm

Montana3D wrote:I read about how some receivers cannot handle the current of high torque servos and cannot find any current handling specs for Futaba receivers.

If you are worried about it, just add a capacitor / glitch buster to your receiver. These eliminate the voltage draw down problem from high draw servo's. I experienced this with the old JR radios and the capacitor solved it. I also found out it was not needed with my Graupner MZ24Pro.

https://www.ebay.com/i/191591604516?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=191591604516&targetid=934793861736&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9018977&poi=&campaignid=10833562028&mkgroupid=109161374800&rlsatarget=pla-934793861736&abcId=9300396&merchantid=6311274&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwbPDmtam7QIVl47ICh3RXARVEAQYAiABEgKMAfD_BwE
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:09 pm

I’ve got RX voltage telemetry on my JR DMSS, I set the alarm to go off at 7.2 volts with a LiPo, 6.4 as I recall on a LiFe, if the battery drops to this voltage under load, alarm sounds, land immediately, never look down at voltage while flying. AM Futaba was 35-40+ years ago... a lot has changed.
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:27 pm

This subject can go many different ways. If you were to stay Futaba, I’d consider the 14sg fasstest- reason being it is compatible with all Futaba 2.4 RXs fasst fhss and fasstest. Then all Futaba options would be available to you. I still fly my old Futaba 7c fasst in a couple of planes but I’m switching rapidly to spektrum. I like the fact that all spektrum RXs and TXs work together. Not to mention, in my opinion they are much easier to program. It also gives you the option for B&F models so commonly found now days.

50cc planes you will hear many different opinions from different people. Some swear the power safe Rxs are best with the ibec. Personally I flew a 50cc wild hare on a old Futaba r617fs for a short time with no issues. Recently swapped it out for a spectrum 8010T to get rid of the Y harness. The 8010T is about 79$ . The power safe rx goes north 199$. Everyone has a personal preference here. Personally I prefer the dx8 over the 7c. But still fly both :mrgreen:
Heinz57
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:58 pm

well, i no not of 2.4 stuff,but fm jr,i am talking computer radios like xp or 9303 work great,are cheap,proven,and still a bit old school. got all you need with out to much. if you dont need 2.4 to start back flying. for a bit over 100.00 you can get 9303,used,a top line jr. they are 2000year tec. xp6103 great,cheap,but does have memery battery in it. if you fly by yourself it dont matter. they are far better than am. i found no one agrees on 2.4 as to best brand and most have all you dont need,unless your a tec guy. now,the war starts. JR was king,20 years ago. new stuff can do alot,if you can keep up with it.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Location: 1 mile from lake Thurmond 15miles north of augusta ga.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:36 am

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the info and suggestions.
Mojo 60 in construction
1-1/2” shorty
Peace and chicken grease
Montana3D
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:00 pm

we like to help,if we can. theres so much good stuff out there,its hard to pick one. if you need more thoughts on radios,tell us more about youself,your type of flying. were you fly and with who. we have all walks of flyers, me, at low end,guys like moto at the top. and bunch in middle. heck,there trying to teach me about electric planes,i be old nitro guy. dont be shy,ask,we help,if we can. just a old low tec jr fm flyer i is.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Location: 1 mile from lake Thurmond 15miles north of augusta ga.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:42 pm

I am progressing from glow trainers and a 32" EPP 3D electric foam plane to this Mojo, then hopefully a 50cc plane. The best I can describe my flying style is trying not to crash while attempting some basic 3D flying, hovering and flying sideways (knife edge??) mostly. I have no expectations of ever flying like you guys do in the youtube videos you post. Being able to hover while keeping it steady, fly sideways while keeping it going in a straight line, and flying upside down are the extent of my 3D ambitions. I will mostly be flying in my backyard which is several acres but also have access to miles of open land. There is not a club or designated field here so it will just be me and myself flying.

I don't want to buy too many fancy bells and whistles that will make the radio more complicated to use but at the same time I am not looking for a budget radio. Maintaining the link between the Tx and RX is more important than saving money. Once all the trim setting are adjusted I just want to turn it on, off, and charge batteries without having to mess with anything to have the plane fly the same way.

I read on other sites that the Fasst and Fasstest offer better range. I also noticed that people embellish their stories on those sites. Everyone here seems to tell it as it really is. Without everyones help I would not have made it this far in finding a kit and building it.

People seem to be happy with their JR radios. I looked at the JR website but most of the radios were sold out. At this point I think it will be that Futaba 14sg model unless their T-FHSS offers similar range and keeping a solid link.
Mojo 60 in construction
1-1/2” shorty
Peace and chicken grease
Montana3D
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:52 pm

Montana3D wrote:I am progressing from glow trainers and a 32" EPP 3D electric foam plane to this Mojo, then hopefully a 50cc plane. The best I can describe my flying style is trying not to crash while attempting some basic 3D flying, hovering and flying sideways (knife edge??) mostly. I have no expectations of ever flying like you guys do in the youtube videos you post. Being able to hover while keeping it steady, fly sideways while keeping it going in a straight line, and flying upside down are the extent of my 3D ambitions. I will mostly be flying in my backyard which is several acres but also have access to miles of open land. There is not a club or designated field here so it will just be me and myself flying.

I don't want to buy too many fancy bells and whistles that will make the radio more complicated to use but at the same time I am not looking for a budget radio. Maintaining the link between the Tx and RX is more important than saving money. Once all the trim setting are adjusted I just want to turn it on, off, and charge batteries without having to mess with anything to have the plane fly the same way.

I read on other sites that the Fasst and Fasstest offer better range. I also noticed that people embellish their stories on those sites. Everyone here seems to tell it as it really is. Without everyones help I would not have made it this far in finding a kit and building it.

People seem to be happy with their JR radios. I looked at the JR website but most of the radios were sold out. At this point I think it will be that Futaba 14sg model unless their T-FHSS offers similar range and keeping a solid link.

So the better question is... are you flying lone or at a field with other guys? Buy a radio that others can help you figure out. Don’t buy something nobody else has, you will be alone trying to figure it out...
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:17 pm

I will be flying alone until I make it to a probro one of these years. So I will be relying on the internet to figure it out. Would a 4YF or 6L be a better match for me? Those don't have expo. How much does a beginner need expo?
Mojo 60 in construction
1-1/2” shorty
Peace and chicken grease
Montana3D
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Montana3D wrote:I will be flying alone until I make it to a probro one of these years. So I will be relying on the internet to figure it out. Would a 4YF or 6L be a better match for me? Those don't have expo. How much does a beginner need expo?

Beginners and most other flyers need expo more than they think. :tu:
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:49 pm

I have a fancy JR x9503. I bought a Dx6i in a pinch when I forgot my TX in FL.
Honestly I like the DX6i better. It's easier to program and it has a memory card slot for transferring models.
"That can't be un-fucked" - Clay @Nash 2012
Fly like you have no tomorrows.

*Asshole Disclaimer*
If you think you have been offended, please unread this post.
Mike
ThumbSkull
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:15 am

Thanks guys. You have given me lots to think about.
Mojo 60 in construction
1-1/2” shorty
Peace and chicken grease
Montana3D
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:11 am

Heinz57 wrote:This subject can go many different ways. If you were to stay Futaba, I’d consider the 14sg fasstest- reason being it is compatible with all Futaba 2.4 RXs fasst fhss and fasstest. Then all Futaba options would be available to you. I still fly my old Futaba 7c fasst in a couple of planes but I’m switching rapidly to spektrum. I like the fact that all spektrum RXs and TXs work together. Not to mention, in my opinion they are much easier to program. It also gives you the option for B&F models so commonly found now days.

50cc planes you will hear many different opinions from different people. Some swear the power safe Rxs are best with the ibec. Personally I flew a 50cc wild hare on a old Futaba r617fs for a short time with no issues. Recently swapped it out for a spectrum 8010T to get rid of the Y harness. The 8010T is about 79$ . The power safe rx goes north 199$. Everyone has a personal preference here. Personally I prefer the dx8 over the 7c. But still fly both :mrgreen:

Good advice here. Check the Futaba receiver choices. Some are labeled HV. That's high voltage. I have the 16 ch and use a variety of receivers. For the 50cc plane you may want to look into a Power Box.
phoenix8
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:16 am

If I were getting new radio equipment I would go JR.
Extreme Flight RC
B and E Graphix
Castle Creations
jwilliams
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:24 pm

It doesnt need to be fancy. My ebay DX6I is the only radio Ive owned. From front yard foamies to 50cc biplane with 8 servos. No issues :rockon:
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:04 pm

i've flown tower, futaba, mrc, airtronics dating back to 1976. currently fly hk 9x with frsky module. best one so far.
Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

No matter how wrong they are.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:06 pm

If you are interested I have a futaba 14sg with several rx's Ive been thinking about selling mine . I only have 1 plane flying on it and am going to move that to my graupner over the winter. Its several years old but works great and Ive flown 100cc on standard fasst rx's with no problem. You want to buy new I understand just thought Id offer. Ive had 4 futaba radios over the last 20 years and I would go as far as to say they are bulletproof. Flying a 70cc mamba on it now 2 batts going into 1 16 channel RX. even with separate elevator halves and choke on a servo I don't think Ive ever used more than 7 or 8 channels. No matter what radio you buy you are going to have a learning curve. YouTube is great for that
smallfly
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:51 pm

I'll second a Futaba 14SG. I love mine. Works with all the Futaba protocols. You can find them reasonably priced on RC Groups now and then in the $225-$300 range. RX's are relatively cheap, and FRSKY makes FASST compatible RX's as well.
Tim
tcipolla
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Ditto on smallfly Futaba, Futaba is solid, lots of second hand FASST rx, not to much FASSTEST tho. I have a Futaba 12z and 15 Fasstest rx I have sitting in moth balls as a trusty backup plan. Downside of Futaba future is they dabble poorly in telemetry, and there is no model match, so if you leave an electric plane on in the pits, grab another switch models and BINGO your flying formation.......

For me, Graupner is 10 years ahead of all other Brands, barr nun, to those that doubt me I'll just say one thing , a REAL GUI that is not ANDROID based. Ive had to learn FUTABA 72'-85', JR 85'-03', Futaba, 03'-15', GRAUPNER 2015-2020.

Never had any luck with Spread Rectum other than a JR 12X and some foamies on DSMX 6 chnl rx. Now its alway tempting to get sucked into the Spread Rectum business model but be warned, DX18 had V1 V2 V3, less than 3 years aprt. They expect owners to get sucked into the latest container shipment and do so with tricks of not backwards compatible for some reason or another, so cheaper upfront but more expensive in long haul as they control life cycle of product offerings as a business model. Jeez I remember when a $1000 Pro level radio would last you 10+ years and 7 before its replacement was rumored.

My advice is get something with good ball bearing gimbals minimum if its more than just a cool birthday present hobby for you.

:drink:
c/f
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Batteries / Radios / Electronics