SOLVED: opexTX issue: ESC/Throttle not happy

Radio, Battery and General Electronic discussions.

SOLVED: opexTX issue: ESC/Throttle not happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:43 pm

Hey I'm thinking this is a Newbie question (although I am an OpexTX newbie so that not a surprise), but I can't get the ESC to be happy on my spektrum receivers through openTX on my radiomaster tx16s.

I've got a picture of my setup below, and this is a working plane on the spektrum transmitter (and I've tried to ESCs and receivers)...but basically I get the fast beep from the motor. I added the throttle cut to set the throttle value to -100 and it doesn't seem to help.

When I simulate the outputs on the computer the switch for the cut works fine and the throttle output is correct. Never had an issue quite like this and thought one of you guys might have an idea. I did google it, but it seems like the throttle cut should have solved the fast beep issue.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 11.35.53 PM.png
Last edited by guckrob on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guckrob
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: opexTX issue: ESC/Throttle not happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:09 am

So all of the other channels are following the correct stick commands?
The sticks are operating the correct channels?
It's just the throttle that won't arm?
:hover: McDDD #415

˙ʇᴉ op oʇ ʍoɥ ʇno ǝɹnƃᴉɟ ʇ,uɐɔ I ʇnq 'looɔ sʞool ʇxǝʇ spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpᴉsd∩
McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:25 am

McDDD wrote:So all of the other channels are following the correct stick commands?
The sticks are operating the correct channels?
It's just the throttle that won't arm?

Yes, the servos are all fine, including both aileron servos--it's odd. I messed with it for a while and googled some stuff and then decided to put it down for the night. I'm going to try one of my spektrum foamies with a charged lipo and see if that one has the same issue, as I also realized the lipo I was using was just above storage voltage. If that's the problem I'll be happy that I'm just dumb, but I don't think that's it. I've only heard the constant beep when the throttle output was out of whack and the esc refuses to arm.

The other thought I had was to put a servo on the throttle channel and plug the ESC into the battery position and see if it's getting the signal I expect--I'm pretty sure that's a valid test. the multi-protocol support on the Radiomaster is cool, but at times like this I do appreciate the match receiver/Tx that just does what you want out of the box--I'm not doing anything weird here besides getting the usual 5 channels working and having just the one channel act up is a new one on me.
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:42 am

Try using a servo plugged into the throttle channel.
Then with your Spektrum transmitter that normally arms the ESC, carefully note the exact position of the servo when the throttle stick is at idle, and the throttle cut/hold is active.

Then try the same thing with the Radiomaster transmitter to see if the throttle servo isn't travelling far enough. If that turns out to be the problem, then you should be able to increase the throttle channel travel limits beyond -100. To do that you will need to go to the second screen of OpenTx and check the box for Extended Limits. Then you will be able to set the travel below -100.

OR....
You could simply try activating the Extended Limits first, then set the low throttle travel and the throttle cut/hold below -100 to see if that fixes it.

Also make sure your throttle trim is at center, or lower.

McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:48 am

I will look and take pictures of how I have the throttle cut setup on my taranis when I get home from work as your setup looks different from mine.
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

Glitter55, Big Tiddy 55cc, VH Giles202. Stashed stix60, stix50, stix46

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:03 am

Realized I had stuff saved on my computer. Screen shot of my mixer page where I just have my throttle set for 100%. Then on my logical switches pages I set an override function to my throttle channel of -100%. never had an issue with any of my planes doing it this way.
Attachments
mixer page.PNG
Logical Switches Page.PNG
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

Glitter55, Big Tiddy 55cc, VH Giles202. Stashed stix60, stix50, stix46

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:25 am

Thanks BalsaDust and McDDD. Hopefully the servo test gets it and I'll try it out tonight. I haven't had an issue like this in a long time--it makes me feel like I did when I first started using electrics (which is to say I feel like an idiot). But OpenTX is pretty cool despite the learning curve and the RadioMaster seems pretty solid so far otherwise.

On my 6 channel spektrum receivers I did have to click "disable channel map" in openTX for some reason, even though they were setup as TAER like everything else, but other than that I haven't had too many mystery problems until this came up.
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:33 pm

Pretty sure they have you covered on the end points advice.

I've had issues with spektrum stuff with channel order as well, an never really understood why.
Hi my name is DorkitDan, may I fly your plane please ;)
dhooks
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:35 pm

When you say can't get them to be happy, have you calibrated the esc to your radio?
dhooks
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:48 pm

Since the Dr. hasn’t chime in I will... you should get a spreadrectum TX, that will solve all your problems :mrgreen:
The Argentinian Pro Bro!!!!!!!!!!!

And now proud member of the RMM.
gus
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:29 pm

gus wrote:Since the Dr. hasn’t chime in I will... you should get a spreadrectum TX, that will solve all your problems :mrgreen:

you know someone called it "spread rektum" the other day on here and I haven't been able to hear it the right way since. I've got a couple of spektrum Tx's, which is why I have the receivers, and like most people I kind of regret thinking that would be a good system for park flyers...But here I am.

I bought the radiomaster so I could still use those receivers and get on openTX. It's been all fun and games until I tried to make models for the foamie collection. Gonna try some tests here in a bit...
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Well that was all totally my fault.

On the simulator on the computer (openTX companion) the throttle (ch1) showed smooth action between -100 and 100 %, but with the servo plugged in it was clearly only using about the top 2/3 of travel.

I could see this monitoring the outputs on the Tx (which I have no idea how I missed last night). Looks like somehow I had pushed an uncalibrated profile to the radio (I assume), but only the throttle was bad and it must have been pretty old data because this Tx was fine last week. I think one of the foamy otx's I had was from when I first unboxed the radio and hadn't calibrated.

Anyway, I recalibrated the Tx, pushed it up to the computer, and back down to the transmitter to make sure I wasn't blowing anything away and it's fine. That was a lot of time and effort for a dumb mistake, but I'm glad it was just that. Thanks for talking it through--Some jokes at my expense are in order, so bring it.
guckrob
Pro Bro

Re: SOLVED: opexTX issue: ESC/Throttle not happy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:52 pm

Glad to hear you solved the problem! :goldcup:

I've got to admit that calibrating the sticks wasn't on my radar.

McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:03 am

thanks McDDD. If you had asked me if that was a possibility I would have told you "no", but I would've been wrong
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:33 am

Calibration is usually my go to in these situations , get it out of the way before you start scratching your head.
dhooks
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:03 pm

dhooks wrote:Calibration is usually my go to in these situations , get it out of the way before you start scratching your head.

It's a lesson learned for sure. I didn't realize pushing an otx from the companion included calibration, but it looks like it does, so I'm going to push some other ones I made a few weeks ago when I got the radio and if they have bum calibration correct them and read them back off the radio.
guckrob
Pro Bro

Return to Batteries / Radios / Electronics