Multi protocol modules,too good to be true ?

Radio, Battery and General Electronic discussions.

Multi protocol modules,too good to be true ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:12 am

I don’t know much about 2.4 bandwidths or how multi protocol works and it seems they are just flashing firmware to switch from one protocol to the other.
I’ve seen a range tests and seem to be good as name brand they are binding too sometimes better.
Do those multi protocol modules work as good as name brand to name brand ?
3dfoamyfan
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: Multi protocol modules,too good to be true ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:15 am

If you mean the modules that you can plug into the back of your radio, everything I’ve seen has been a bit sketchy. However, all I’ve seen are the really cheap ones. I have a Jumper T16 that has one built in that has seen very limited use so far. I also have one of the new Radiomaster TX16S’ on pre-order. It has a multi-protocol module built in that you select in model setup. On the Jumper T16, I believe you have to set that every time you select a model with a different protocol.
So far, haven’t had any issues with my FrSky or the Jumper but I’ve only flown them in quadcopters.

Matt
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
basmntdweller
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:14 am

I am using the IRange 4 in 1 modules on both of my frsky radio's with spektrum recievers and haven't had any problems, after I figured out how to get them configured.
MRMcFarlandM
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:12 am

They work great, I been using one a few years.

I have a thread on here where i wired it in.
Hi my name is DorkitDan, may I fly your plane please ;)
dhooks
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:40 pm

Got the new Irangex 4 Plus module a few days ago. Updated OpenTx 2.2.4 in the Taranis X9D+ to include the multi protocol serial function, then updated the Irangex 4 Plus module to latest v1.3.1.36 firmware. So far on the bench it seems to be working perfectly with a variety of different brands and types of receivers. The next step is flight testing to begin building up confidence in it.
:hover: McDDD #415

˙ʇᴉ op oʇ ʍoɥ ʇno ǝɹnƃᴉɟ ʇ,uɐɔ I ʇnq 'looɔ sʞool ʇxǝʇ spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpᴉsd∩
McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:52 am

I’m going to try one of the 4n1 modules.
There’s several brands to choose from but everyone seems having good results with irange so it’ll like be the one.

I’d like to have a module for Fassst but it looks like they encode theirs.
There’s Fassst compatible Rx but no Tx modules?Patent law or is it unbreakable code?
3dfoamyfan
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:34 pm

I wish the multi protocol module included FASST, but it doesn't. Apparently FASST uses a different chip that no other protocol uses, so it wasn't included.......yet. I'd bet as the multi protocol module becomes more popular, somebody is going to figure out how to hack the FASST chip inside there.

Way back when Futaba was entering the 2.4 game, they sold a FASST module for JR radios. For awhile, I flew that FASST module in my Taranis so I could still fly my FASST receivers. But for reasons that are hard to put into words, the planes never felt as "directly connected" to my thumbs with the Taranis/FASST module compared to the Taranis and it's own FrSky ACCST receivers, or even the 2.4 Futaba 12FG transmitter. I suspect the problem might have been related to the FASST module using a PPM signal, which might have been adding a noticeable latency. This might also explain why Futaba quickly stopped selling the FASST modules for JR radios. The JR flyers who tried using a FASST module may have "felt the difference", and concluded that FASST wasn't for them.

McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:07 pm

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if any of these modules would be compatible with a JR 9303 radio with the plug in module?
The ZZ Top looking, anal Bastage Bro.

I fly just enough to stay rusty.
PAR
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:07 pm

It works in a Taranis in PPM mode, so it should work in a JR 9303 which only uses PPM mode.

McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:55 pm

McDDD wrote:I wish the multi protocol module included FASST, but it doesn't. Apparently FASST uses a different chip that no other protocol uses, so it wasn't included.......yet. I'd bet as the multi protocol module becomes more popular, somebody is going to figure out how to hack the FASST chip inside there.

Way back when Futaba was entering the 2.4 game, they sold a FASST module for JR radios. For awhile, I flew that FASST module in my Taranis so I could still fly my FASST receivers. But for reasons that are hard to put into words, the planes never felt as "directly connected" to my thumbs with the Taranis/FASST module compared to the Taranis and it's own FrSky ACCST receivers, or even the 2.4 Futaba 12FG transmitter. I suspect the problem might have been related to the FASST module using a PPM signal, which might have been adding a noticeable latency. This might also explain why Futaba quickly stopped selling the FASST modules for JR radios. The JR flyers who tried using a FASST module may have "felt the difference", and concluded that FASST wasn't for them.

I flew FASST with my old Futaba 9c for a long time with the Futaba module before I switched to Taranis. I noticed that the Taranis/FrSky setups felt much quicker/more responsive. I didn't sweat many braincells on it. Now that you mention it, though, it jogged my memory.
"Beer! Because no great story ever started out 'Hold my salad fork...'"
Prowler
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:14 pm

I've got a module plugged into the back of my trusty Futaba. I think the transmitter is at least 18 years old. I know I've been running a spectrum 2.4 module in it for at least 14 years, maybe 16 years. No problems indoors or outdoors. It works with $75 receivers and $7 receivers.

:rockon:
Doug B

To those in the military who serve, both past and present, to defend my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a wonderful life so far.
Doug B
Pro Bro

Return to Batteries / Radios / Electronics