FrSky Taranis 9XD problem

Radio, Battery and General Electronic discussions.

FrSky Taranis 9XD problem

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:00 pm

I bought a Taranis and everything works except internal charger.
Anyone else had that issue?
I am getting ready to ship it back and thought I’d see if there’s a diy fix that may fix it.
It’s a 2019 edition so 2S Lixx only.
I powered it up and flew a few batteries through my foamies and used their 15.00 short range receiver with no problems or glitches.
Swapping out a Futaba receiver was super easy.Neutrals matched perfectly so no pulling off servo horns just adjusting weights,reversed a few channels,put in 70% expo,set ESC range and flew just like my Fasst.

I am hoping there’s a cold solder joint or blown internal fuse or diode but I don’t know where to look in the radio.
Last edited by 3dfoamyfan on Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
3dfoamyfan
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: Defective FrSky Taranis 9XD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:22 pm

get a name brand system.
1) Whistlepig Rye
2) Bookers
3) Blanton's
4) Bakers
5) John J Bowman
6) Woodford
7) Berheim's
8) Widow Jane
9) Black maple hill
Yoni
Dr Constrictor
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:10 pm

I like the ability of FrSky but it seems to be more for radio tinkering or experimental hobbiests.
Dealer is working it out so I can’t complain and radio works fine just has a buggy internal charger.
I will try getting the bugs out and see what happens.
3dfoamyfan
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:05 pm

3dfoamyfan wrote:I like the ability of FrSky but it seems to be more for radio tinkering or experimental hobbiests.
Dealer is working it out so I can’t complain and radio works fine just has a buggy internal charger.

I recently picked up an X10s Express. It's definitely got a learning curve, but the programming capabilities are endless. I've got a two stage arming for the motor, battery watt alarms, low voltage alarms, high current alarms, and a momentary switch that gives me a voltage reading. I can change the BEC voltage from the transmitter. There are more switches than I know what to do with.
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:17 pm

3dfoamyfan wrote:I like the ability of FrSky but it seems to be more for radio tinkering or experimental hobbiests.

Agreed. The ability of the programming is endless and the price point on their stuff is great. Yes might have to deal with some of the cheaper components. I will be sticking with it for all of my stuff and only keep a DX9 around for the small UMX planes.
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

Glitter55, Big Tiddy 55cc, VH Giles202. Stashed stix60, stix50, stix46

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

Re: FrSky Taranis 9XD problem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:35 am

I like mine and I was surprised on how precise the neutrals were.
I swapped out my Fasst receiver with a FrSky and servos didn’t move one bit.I rarely use trim anymore.I center servos and adjust linkage versus trim.
In about 15 minutes I was flying after switching receivers.
Adjusted weight,70% exponential,reset throttle range on ESC,reversed a few servos and flew just like my 8FG.
It felt a better in fact.
I didn’t have to sweat getting used to a new radio which surprised me.
Exponential seemed to match what my 8FG felt like at 70%.
Mine has an internal charging bug but everything else works 100%.It’s the 2019 version so information is limited.
I contacted dealer he said no sweat send it in and it’ll be taken care of ASAP or replaced.
3dfoamyfan
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:53 am

Did you buy it from Aloft Hobbies?
:hover: McDDD #415

˙ʇᴉ op oʇ ʍoɥ ʇno ǝɹnƃᴉɟ ʇ,uɐɔ I ʇnq 'looɔ sʞool ʇxǝʇ spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpᴉsd∩
McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:03 pm

:shock: 70% expo

2015 Pro Bro miles , 1315
Rat
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:36 pm

Rat wrote::shock: 70% expo

I thought I was using a lot at 35%, and scaled it back to 30%.
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Zero expo .
1) Whistlepig Rye
2) Bookers
3) Blanton's
4) Bakers
5) John J Bowman
6) Woodford
7) Berheim's
8) Widow Jane
9) Black maple hill
Yoni
Dr Constrictor
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:58 pm

McDDD wrote:Did you buy it from Aloft Hobbies?

Yes and they are taking care of it no problems.
One of the better places to get gear.In fact they were going to look at it regardless where I got it.
3dfoamyfan
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:30 am

Agree 100% about Aloft!
My second X9D Taranis was purchased from Aloft. When it arrived, it wouldn't boot up correctly. Aloft paid for the shipping to send it back, repaired it, and sent it back to me at no charge. The whole process took less than a week. That was over 5 years ago and that radio is still working perfectly.

McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:32 am

McDDD wrote:Agree 100% about Aloft!
My second X9D Taranis was purchased from Aloft. When it arrived, it wouldn't boot up correctly. Aloft paid for the shipping to send it back, repaired it, and sent it back to me at no charge. The whole process took less than a week. That was over 5 years ago and that radio is still working perfectly.

They are great. When I ordered the X9 Lite about a year ago I asked if they could install the newest version of opentx on it for me and how much to do so. Did it for no charge stating their techs needed the experience working with the new radio.
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:57 pm

I'd really like to try a Taranis, but I've got several (5 or 6 maybe) spektrum receivers...I was trying to find a Dx8 or similar that someone wants rid of to replace my foamie-driving DxE.

But I was surprised from this thread how my Taranis users are on here. What receivers do you guys run and how much are they? I think I might enjoy the FrSky more than another Spektrum if I can swing the receivers...aloft hobbies looks like I can get park flyer-type receivers for like $30, like the "RX6R" -- is this what you guys run on your little 4-5 channel planes? What kind are you running on like a 60 size plane?
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:01 pm

guckrob wrote:I'd really like to try a Taranis, but I've got several (5 or 6 maybe) spektrum receivers...I was trying to find a Dx8 or similar that someone wants rid of to replace my foamie-driving DxE.

But I was surprised from this thread how my Taranis users are on here. What receivers do you guys run and how much are they? I think I might enjoy the FrSky more than another Spektrum if I can swing the receivers...aloft hobbies looks like I can get park flyer-type receivers for like $30, like the "RX6R" -- is this what you guys run on your little 4-5 channel planes? What kind are you running on like a 60 size plane?

I'm getting back into the hobby, and after my research, I bought the x10s express over the futaba faast and spektrum. I've bought a few rx4r and a bunch of the RX6R recievers. I also bought some of the FRSKY ESC's, which are a bit pricey, but they have full telemetry.

I really like the programming, I programmed low voltage, high current, and all sorts of other fun things. I don't believe that I can get the same control with the other options.

At this time, I only have electric and no 60 size planes.
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:10 pm

solv3nt wrote:
guckrob wrote:I'd really like to try a Taranis, but I've got several (5 or 6 maybe) spektrum receivers...I was trying to find a Dx8 or similar that someone wants rid of to replace my foamie-driving DxE.

I'm getting back into the hobby, and after my research, I bought the x10s express over the futaba faast and spektrum. I've bought a few rx4r and a bunch of the RX6R recievers. I also bought some of the FRSKY ESC's, which are a bit pricey, but they have full telemetry.

I really like the programming, I programmed low voltage, high current, and all sorts of other fun things. I don't believe that I can get the same control with the other options.

Yes the telemetry and voltage/current limits are my major attractions as well. I work in the software biz so the programming capabilities really excite me, especially over my spectrum or my old Futaba stuff. I dunno if I can swing and x10 express, though--that's a serious piece of hardware. But, a similar model maybe unless a spektrum falls into the want ads here soon. Thanks!
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:41 pm

guckrob wrote:
solv3nt wrote:

Yes the telemetry and voltage/current limits are my major attractions as well. I work in the software biz so the programming capabilities really excite me, especially over my spectrum or my old Futaba stuff. I dunno if I can swing and x10 express, though--that's a serious piece of hardware. But, a similar model maybe unless a spektrum falls into the want ads here soon. Thanks!

As an electrical engineer, it wasn't too difficult to figure out, but it definitely has a learning curve. I programmed in a two stage arming system for the motor so I don't bump it. I have a two position switch that requires the momentary switch for five seconds. And when I flip off the switch, it goes back to being disarmed. Let me know if you need help with the programming side of things if you get one. I purchased from aloft.
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:55 pm

I switched from Futaba FASST to a Taranis over 5 years ago, and haven't regretted it at all. The FrSky receivers in my planes are D6FR, X6R, X8R, and RX8R Pro. All of these receivers are full range, and are being flown in planes ranging in size from small foamies up to 30cc size. If I had planes bigger than 30cc, I'd put the FrSky receivers in them too. I don't have any FrSky parkflyer receivers. For parkflyer size planes and profile foamies I use either Orange or Lemon DSM2 receivers and fly them with my Taranis by plugging a Spektrum "hack" module into the back. The hack module is made from a genuine Spektrum RF chip harvested from a DX5e. This gives the Taranis DSM2 or DSMX capability, in either a 11 or 22 ms frame rate, plus the model match function works correctly. This also lets the Taranis fly the popular Bind-N-Fly planes and the UMX series. The only genuine Spektrum transmitter that I own is a DX5e that is used as a wireless buddy box for the Taranis.

There is also a multi-protocol by I-Range or Jumper that fits into the module bay of a Taranis which will operate a bunch of different brands of receivers. I've got one ordered to play with, but I don't have any experience with one yet. I've heard both good things and bad things about them, so I figured get one and find out for myself. Hopefully somebody else on here with real world experience with a multi-protocol module will chime in.

McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:03 am

Taranis is a great radio and you wont regret it. About a year ago I switched from my Taranis X9D Plus to their new Taranis X9 Lite. I like it for its slightly smaller size especially for when throw DLG's. it does have a few drawback with it having fewer switches and only one potentiometer which I converted to a slider on mine to more easily adjust the camber on my gliders. Also its not cross compatible with all of FRsky's older receivers, not a huge deal since I only had one of them but I have to pay attention if I'm buying used.

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:44 am

Hi Guys,
Just thought I would chime in with my 2 cents worth. I have been using a taranis X9D Xmitter for almost a year now with spektrum Rec. and an Irange 4 in 1 module, after some confusion getting it configured properly they have worked perfect even with the telemetry. I let the xmitter configure the module and don't use the knob on the back of the module. I now have a Horus 10X that I am using with my Heli's so far it is all good.

PS: I love the sticks on these radios.

Mike,

I guess I should have added I am using OPEN TX on both radio's 2.3.2 on the X9D and 2.3.7 on the Horus.
MRMcFarlandM
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Batteries / Radios / Electronics