Bros Slick 360-35 Kit Pics & Pride Thread

Re: Bros Slick 360-35 Kit Pics & Pride Thread

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:01 am

guckrob wrote:
guckrob wrote:
Straightup wrote:Everyone has there own preference on the landing gear.
Mine is 40" wingspan and longer gets gear. Under 40" no gear.

Thanks. Here's my progress so far. Gonna prep the wing tonight and -try- not to stay up waay too late again

All the bones done except for the ailerons. Honestly when I saw the build thread I thought the wing construction was odd, but it worked really well and came out straight and strong.

Doug have you ever tried having your router extend the cut into the inside corners of slots? The fit on your pieces is great in my opinion, but the inside corners on the slots need some prep. Short of going with a laser cutter ($$$$) I was wondering if you extended the cut into the corner if that would make a weak spot or if you had tried it? I have a lowrider CNC and do that on plywood a lot, but I've never tried anything on balsa with it and just thought I'd ask.

I do love the kit!

Could probably cut a little out of the corners but I honestly haven’t had much of an issue there. Some corners require a stroke or two with the sandpaper but that’s about it.
Doug G Designs & Kit Cutting
Doug G
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:12 am

this is dougs build pics.. i used it to design what i want my color scheme to look like.. ill be using doculam to cover it all.. and then transparent red and yellow. as the triangle trims pieces. and for the fuse
Attachments
slick covering job.jpeg
Doinksalot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:33 am

IMG_20200613_063223.jpg
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:50 am

Doug G wrote:
guckrob wrote:
guckrob wrote:
Straightup wrote:Everyone has there own preference on the landing gear.
Mine is 40" wingspan and longer gets gear. Under 40" no gear.

Thanks. Here's my progress so far. Gonna prep the wing tonight and -try- not to stay up waay too late again

All the bones done except for the ailerons. Honestly when I saw the build thread I thought the wing construction was odd, but it worked really well and came out straight and strong.

Doug have you ever tried having your router extend the cut into the inside corners of slots? The fit on your pieces is great in my opinion, but the inside corners on the slots need some prep. Short of going with a laser cutter ($$$$) I was wondering if you extended the cut into the corner if that would make a weak spot or if you had tried it? I have a lowrider CNC and do that on plywood a lot, but I've never tried anything on balsa with it and just thought I'd ask.

I do love the kit!

Could probably cut a little out of the corners but I honestly haven’t had much of an issue there. Some corners require a stroke or two with the sandpaper but that’s about it.

Ya I wasn't complaining I was just wondering if that same CNC trick transfers to balsa in case I try to cut one on mine. 40" or so is about the biggest I want to take to my little park down the street walking down there with the kids, so when all the 60" kits are rolling I might try to cut one--I assume it'll be a glorious failure, but projects are fun and you always learn something.

No building tonight for me--we're camping out. Seems wrong to have all the bones done aside from the ailerons and take a day off, but maybe I'll get a little more sleep and think about how I want to finish it. You did convince me to put the landing gear on, too!
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:55 am

Doinksalot wrote:this is dougs build pics.. i used it to design what i want my color scheme to look like.. ill be using doculam to cover it all.. and then transparent red and yellow. as the triangle trims pieces. and for the fuse

What covering are you using over your doculam for the color scheme? I'm going to do my base in doculam as well and I've got lots of solite and micro-lite, but not much of the normal stuff (monokote, ultracote, etc)...been screwing with little planes too long and I need to see if what I have will work over top of doculam.
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:02 pm

Doinksalot wrote:this is dougs build pics.. i used it to design what i want my color scheme to look like.. ill be using doculam to cover it all.. and then transparent red and yellow. as the triangle trims pieces. and for the fuse

Beautiful¡¡¡ Good job¡¡
ProBro #516
The Mexican ProBro Connection.
Proud to be a Bro¡¡

"God, thank you for creating woman and make me a man!!!!!!
(Otherwise I would have turn a lesbian)
Bolio
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:05 pm

Value Hobby cote works great too :rockon:
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:39 pm

solv3nt wrote:
tcipolla wrote:
solv3nt wrote:Started her last night.

IMG_20200610_073155.jpg

mmm...I think you're supposed to glue the spars together before putting the ribs on.

No glue yet. Test fit.

my bad, Bro! keep on building!
Tim
tcipolla
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:22 pm

With slabs, I take it that the wing is just glued in, do you stick Velcro straight to the covering to hold the ESC and reciever in place?
solv3nt
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:50 pm

right on the covering works on thes small planes for stuff like rx and ESC. I use this more often than velcro on them https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1 ... /203405976
Ive also used Quick Grip glue to attach them. What ever it takes.

for battery velcro I cut a hole in the covering and glue a piece of velcro to the motor mount for a stronger bond. then add a strap around the battery.
RIP Randle P McMurphy 1925 - 1963
nutz
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:41 pm

ok I finally got the bones done and mostly sanded...Need some bevels and a few things here and there. I've got some noob questions and I didn't want to pollute the build thread. Here they are:
1. Do you recommend covering prior to putting the ply pieces for the gear and motor mount on? I assume so...Just sanity checking.
2. I saw the thread on battery attachment--looks like I'm not the only one that has dropped a battery bomb and turned the plane into a glider. Is there any other guidance on component placement or wire management?
3. 9g or 5g servos on the ailerons? From the 'stuffing a slick' thread it looks like most people go 9g all around and I'm fine with that I was just checking. I have lots of Tower Pro SG90's, but I've also got a handful of SG51R's and didn't know if they'd work for ailerons.

Any other words of wisdom? Doug threw me for a loop with his crazy doculam artwork, so now I'm trying not to rush into covering and will try to do something respectable ;)
Attachments
IMG_4832.jpg
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:36 pm

guckrob wrote:ok I finally got the bones done and mostly sanded...Need some bevels and a few things here and there. I've got some noob questions and I didn't want to pollute the build thread. Here they are:
1. Do you recommend covering prior to putting the ply pieces for the gear and motor mount on? I assume so...Just sanity checking.
Yes, cover everything before gluing on any plywood parts.

2. I saw the thread on battery attachment--looks like I'm not the only one that has dropped a battery bomb and turned the plane into a glider. Is there any other guidance on component placement or wire management?
I will see if I can find some pics.

3. 9g or 5g servos on the ailerons? From the 'stuffing a slick' thread it looks like most people go 9g all around and I'm fine with that I was just checking. I have lots of Tower Pro SG90's, but I've also got a handful of SG51R's and didn't know if they'd work for ailerons. I recommend 9-12 gram servos.

Any other words of wisdom? Doug threw me for a loop with his crazy doculam artwork, so now I'm trying not to rush into covering and will try to do something respectable ;)

Just get it done! You can always build another one.
Doug G
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:00 am

All I lack is finishing up! :lol:
Attachments
C08E4A91-47C4-4983-B549-7E2063D04028.jpeg
Doug G
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:49 am

Sweet, Doug! :tu:
The Profile Brotherhood Needs You! Post something, dammit!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:44 pm

Doug G wrote:All I lack is finishing up! :lol:

Cool scheme! That looks great!
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:04 pm

IMG_4838.jpg
my first profile fuse. I just put some white on the bones and on the back of the doculam and it turned out pretty well. Gonna put some color on the wings and the tail surfaces, but mainly just shooting for getting this thing in the air and then beg Doug to make some more kits so I can try out something more thoughtful on the look.

Thanks everyone for all the help.
--Recovering fatty and foamie addict
guckrob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:27 pm

guckrob wrote:my first profile fuse.

Congratulations. Well done! Hopefully the first of many. :tu:
The Profile Brotherhood Needs You! Post something, dammit!
Zombie [2point0]
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:20 pm

How thick is the doculam you are using 3.0 mil or 1.5 mil??
MRMcFarlandM
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:33 pm

Bros Slick 360-65 Kit Picks & Gay Pride Thread

Fixed it! :rofl:
"I do not exist to impress the world. I exist to live my life in a way that will make me happy."- jonathan livingston seagull.
Wild Fred
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:42 pm

MRMcFarlandM wrote:How thick is the doculam you are using 3.0 mil or 1.5 mil??

1.5mil is all I've ever used. It's light and stout and a 500' roll is like $40 or so--That's nothing compared to the cost of other coverings. I have never tried all of the painting tricks that are going on here now, but just the basic test I did on the fuse worked fine and I think my days of putting colored trim on top are over.
guckrob
Pro Bro

PreviousNext

Return to Doug G Designs & Kit Cutting