The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Primo 40 conversion.

6K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  GATOR 
#1 ·
Pulled out a Primo 40 kit I had stashed away for awhile. I want to do and electric conversion. I'm undecided on which way to go. The Value Hobbies GForce 32 with a 80amp ESC on 4s 2700Mah. Or a GForce 46 with a 80amp ESC on 5s 3300mAh. The 5s would be about 100 grams heavier than the 4s. Leaning toward the G32 with the 4 cells. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Not sure on a hot 4S motor anymore--the later G32's were NOT what the early ones were. Motrolfly 3615 is bad-ass on 4S--ask Zamfir. For another Bad Ass motor, I'm super-happy with this so far: https://rcdude.com/catalog/product/view ... tegory/93/ Running it on my 5lb even RTF GBR50 (a little bigger/heavier plane than the Primo40). I'm getting 5min on 6S 2200's with a 14x6 APC--ask the guys who were just at IowaBro what they thought performance looked like. I put probably 8+ flights on it over the weekend there, and was very happy. FYI, this motor weighed .1oz more than my old Value Hobby G32 on my scale...

#3 ·
I had a G32 in my Mojo 40 flying on 3600 4s. castle talon 90 esc. 14x7 xoar. It had great power. But some magnets came loose after hard thrashing.

I tried the rim fire power 32 in my primo 40 and the g32 actually preformed better.

Im leaning towards the bad ass motors and giving them a try since Motrolfly hasn't had them in stock for quite sometime. I'm can't decide if I should give up on my 4s packs a just go 6s 2200

#4 ·
FWIW, that motor I posted is also available in 4-5S winds as well--there's a 790kv and a 9xx kv available as well, same size motor as mine and a G32

#7 ·
It doesn't matter what the brand of the motor is for as long as the KV is where you want it to be.
In the early days of the efag shit I was able to grab a few 40 size motor on flea bay and Value Hobbies that still kick ass. Each for $20-25 shipped (yeah, I'm a cheap bastard).
They were all advertised as G32 800kv but the actual KV was between 860-900.
Then it came exceed rocket with a 3520-900kv for $25, to this day I don't think you can beat them. Kick ass setup when you pair them with a Castle ESC, a Xoar 14x7 and a decent 4S 3700-4000 batt.

If you are ok with the price get a motrolfly, or any of the ones described above that are currently available.

#9 ·
gus said:
Then it came exceed rocket with a 3520-900kv for $25, to this day I don't think you can beat them. Kick ass setup when you pair them with a Castle ESC, a Xoar 14x7 and a decent 4S 3700-4000 batt.
I'm running one of these Exceed Rockets on my new Primo 40 with 4S 3000s and a Hobbywing 80a ESC swinging an APC 14x7. I have a throttle % timer set on my TX16s for 2 minutes, so probably actually 4 minute flight times. Wish it was longer but the balance is perfect and it rips.

Tempted to try Wyo's 6s setup for longer flight times, but why mess with a good thing. May order a couple bigger 4s packs to try.

#13 ·
Prowler said:
I'm running one of these Exceed Rockets on my new Primo 40 with 4S 3000s and a Hobbywing 80a ESC swinging an APC 14x7. I have a throttle % timer set on my TX16s for 2 minutes, so probably actually 4 minute flight times. Wish it was longer but the balance is perfect and it rips.
I got a pull on this bird at Ottumwa and 100% agree with those comments - the plane performs phenomenal!!! Thank you for the flight. :tu: :rockon:

#14 ·
Straightup said:
Prowler said:
I got a pull on this bird at Ottumwa and 100% agree with those comments - the plane performs phenomenal!!! Thank you for the flight. :tu: :rockon:
Aaand it spit some magnets today at the club fun fly... :crybaby: :rant: :crybaby: :rant: :crybaby: :rant: :crybaby:

Guess it's time to become a YouTube Certified brushless motor mechanic.

#15 ·
That totally sux.. Sorry. Hope you can find something to get that amazing bird flying again.

#17 ·
In one of my mags theres pro tips on ca glues,reg ca can take 500 degrees or so they say. So if you have an old motor what would it hurt to drip some between magnets,its a bitch to fix after they come loose. There even be high temp ca,good for 700 degrees if you want it to glow. I think the glue just gives up,thats what that old tiger 10 i have looks like. Bet GUS knows the fix,lot of old good motors out there,someone need find the fix for them before they scheee.

#19 ·
Straightup said:
That totally sux.. Sorry. Hope you can find something to get that amazing bird flying again.
I've got a Tomcat G32 that I will throw on it for now, it will be interesting to see how it performs.

I've found instructions on-line for re-gluing magnets, so going to give it a try. Nothing to lose at this point but what's left of my mind.

#25 ·
sparkplug said:
In one of my mags theres pro tips on ca glues,reg ca can take 500 degrees or so they say. So if you have an old motor what would it hurt to drip some between magnets,its a bitch to fix after they come loose. There even be high temp ca,good for 700 degrees if you want it to glow. I think the glue just gives up,thats what that old tiger 10 i have looks like. Bet GUS knows the fix,lot of old good motors out there,someone need find the fix for them before they scheee.
500 degrees???!!!! You will have nothing left at that temp and you will need a oxi-acetylene torch to get it to that temp.
The windings will let the magic smoke out at a much lower temp.