Mounting Li-Po methods

All electric, all good.

Mounting Li-Po methods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:20 pm

I have had Li-Po pack get slung off and before I cut some slots in vertical fuse,MXS-35 by Doug,I thought I’d ask to see some methods that hold Li-Po on securely.
Foamies I just hot glue Velcro on vertical and horizontal fuse but a balsa covered profile I thought Id ask before I cut any slots or try hot glue on top of covering.

Any tips or pictures would be helpful.
3dfoamyfan
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

Re: Mounting Li-Po methods

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:57 pm

Slots in fuse with Velcro straps. No need to complicate things.
Tim
tcipolla
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:27 pm

I do it even easier than that. I fly the plane a couple times to establish where I like the CG at. Then instead of slots in the motor mount (My opinion is that weakens the motor mount) I lay out my double sided velcro strap and and use two servo screws that are low profile to screw it to the mount. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure Hooks will tell me I'm wrong.
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

Glitter55, Big Tiddy 55cc, VH Giles202. Stashed stix60, stix50, stix46

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:46 pm

Both are good ideas and gave me a few ideas.

The ESC is on the other side and I may lipo on same side.

I got to maiden it today and it fly’s great.It felt like it flew on rails.
I didnt get to try to twist the tail off but it torque rolls great and harriers are solid.
I was very surprised on how stable and how slow it could fly.Floats like a foamie but without the jumping around.
3dfoamyfan
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:43 pm

I do everything overkill :lol: I have velcro on the battery and a strap. For the velcro on the battery, on the mating surface on the plane - put the velcro on bare wood. Otherwise it sticks to the covering so good that the covering will lift - or even sometimes peel off - when packs are changed. I've even started putting a small amount of glue around the edges of the velcro. Since doing that and putting on bare wood, I've had no problems.
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Cartman - " It was great to see Straight up even tho he broke all my planes :lol: "
c/f - "I am currently trying to make this event cause I like flying Jeffs planes and he no longer comes to Nash,,, :P "
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:58 pm

Same here.

Straightup wrote:I do everything overkill :lol: I have velcro on the battery and a strap. For the velcro on the battery, on the mating surface on the plane - put the velcro on bare wood. Otherwise it sticks to the covering so good that the covering will lift - or even sometimes peel off - when packs are changed. I've even started putting a small amount of glue around the edges of the velcro. Since doing that and putting on bare wood, I've had no problems.
Tim
RMM

Hanger All E
75” 3D Hobby Shop Edge
GBR 32 Foamy
SBach 65
Slide 48
PBF- Thanks Zamfir
84" Turbo Bushmaster
ozzy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:26 pm

Yeah, same here, but I'm thinking the servo screw method may have merit. Going to give that a go. Overkill is almost enough. Battery ejection is a stupid way to lose a plane.

ozzy wrote:Same here.

Straightup wrote:I do everything overkill :lol: I have velcro on the battery and a strap. For the velcro on the battery, on the mating surface on the plane - put the velcro on bare wood. Otherwise it sticks to the covering so good that the covering will lift - or even sometimes peel off - when packs are changed. I've even started putting a small amount of glue around the edges of the velcro. Since doing that and putting on bare wood, I've had no problems.
"Beer! Because no great story ever started out 'Hold my salad fork...'"
Prowler
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:11 am

BalsaDust wrote:I do it even easier than that. I fly the plane a couple times to establish where I like the CG at. Then instead of slots in the motor mount (My opinion is that weakens the motor mount) I lay out my double sided velcro strap and and use two servo screws that are low profile to screw it to the mount. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure Hooks will tell me I'm wrong.

Chris isn't wrong but neither is the right :)
Hi my name is DorkitDan, may I fly your plane please ;)
dhooks
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:11 am

BalsaDust wrote:I do it even easier than that. I fly the plane a couple times to establish where I like the CG at. Then instead of slots in the motor mount (My opinion is that weakens the motor mount) I lay out my double sided velcro strap and and use two servo screws that are low profile to screw it to the mount. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure Hooks will tell me I'm wrong.

Chris isn't wrong but neither is he right :)
Hi my name is DorkitDan, may I fly your plane please ;)
dhooks
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:02 am

Prowler wrote: Battery ejection is a stupid way to lose a plane.

Been there--watched a 6S 4000 fly one way, and my Sabre56 go the other :( Did a crankshaft with my 60" EF Extra and watched the battery come out thru the hatch. Ever since, dual Velcro straps, with each side of Velcro on opposite sides of battery, so that the bottom of battery hooks to airframe, and the straps grap the top of the battery Velcro. Haven't had any issues since going that way. Might be overkill on 3S, but once you get heavier batteries, definitely worth a little extra effort

ozzy wrote:Same here.

3D wannabe

"Well, you can't scale down the air molecules that it's flying on,... so keep that in mind." 3dRookie
"Takes a day to learn and a lifetime to master, always something new to learn or refine" AD3D
(3D, DLG or cunnilingus?)
wyo69cowboy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:22 am

I've lost planes for many reasons but not for throwing a battery. I'm like Straightup. Velcro hooks on the wood of the mount and velcro loops on the battery with a velcro strap around the whole thing. For removal, use a broken prop to wedge in between the velcro so you don't break the shrink wrap on the battery or start removing the velcro from the mount.
"That can't be un-fucked" - Clay @Nash 2012
Fly like you have no tomorrows.

*Asshole Disclaimer*
If you think you have been offended, please unread this post.
Mike
ThumbSkull
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:59 pm

ThumbSkull wrote:For removal, use a broken prop to wedge in between the velcro so you don't break the shrink wrap on the battery or start removing the velcro from the mount.

A plastic putty knife works great too!
Tim
tcipolla
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:01 pm

:needpics:
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:34 pm

I’m going to use the ply LG straps that came with kit and see what I can come up with.
I agree with over kill because I have slung a few lipo off a foamie and that was enough so I fixed that by using both horizontal and vertical fuse to attach.
Thanks for help
3dfoamyfan
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:50 pm

...I've never thrown an OS .55 AX from the nose of a plane. :wink: The #6 socket head cap screws and locknuts keep it very secure. :twisted:
Doug B

To those in the military who serve, both past and present, to defend my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a wonderful life so far.
Doug B
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:29 am

Doug B wrote:...I've never thrown an OS .55 AX from the nose of a plane. :wink: The #6 socket head cap screws and locknuts keep it very secure. :twisted:

Yeah, I use 4-40 up to YS115. 6-32 on the YS1.60 and Saito 1.80. Never thrown one of those either. I've broken whole front ends off and not broken a screw.
"That can't be un-fucked" - Clay @Nash 2012
Fly like you have no tomorrows.

*Asshole Disclaimer*
If you think you have been offended, please unread this post.
Mike
ThumbSkull
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:54 pm

ThumbSkull wrote:
Doug B wrote:...I've never thrown an OS .55 AX from the nose of a plane. :wink: The #6 socket head cap screws and locknuts keep it very secure. :twisted:

Yeah, I use 4-40 up to YS115. 6-32 on the YS1.60 and Saito 1.80. Never thrown one of those either. I've broken whole front ends off and not broken a screw.

Maybe the electric flying guys should drill a hole or two thru the center of the batter pack and attach it to the firewall with a couple of screws. :wink: Seems to work well with nitro engines. :mrgreen:
Doug B

To those in the military who serve, both past and present, to defend my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a wonderful life so far.
Doug B
Pro Bro

Re: Mounting Li-Po met

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:27 am

Here’s what I came up with and I just had to drill a few servo screw size holes and used some left over ply from kit.

I can move CG back by adding another set of 1/16 in scrap pieces of ply and move the strips back.
Attachments
43D55A2F-9C62-49BC-9005-53655623AB75.jpeg
9278CD92-7846-4852-BE57-D8FEB7B6E0AA.jpeg
3dfoamyfan
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:08 pm

I went a bit overboard but haven’t thrown a lipo.
3dfoamyfan
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:31 pm

3dfoamyfan wrote:I went a bit overboard but haven’t thrown a lipo.

You can also put a piece of peel ans stick velcro on the fuse and battery, remove one of the straps, the fuse will break before the batt falls off :drink:
Attachments
20200427_202903.jpg
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

Next

Return to Electric, The ProBro Way