Any Regrets going ALL ELECTRIC?

All electric, all good.

Re: Any Regrets going ALL ELECTRIC?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:32 am

Wasn't it Ian who smoked himself a while back shorting out a 6s? Grubby bit himself something fierce setting up the controller with a prop on the motor,....

Personally I'm not a fan of bullet connectors that'll actually allow you to hook em up shorted, especially with the saddle pack arrangements we tend to use on 4s+ profile setups. None the less, if electrons can't flow nothings gonna happen.

Granted, I've never seen a nitro motor actually START itself with no input from the pilot, tho I have seen a gasoline motor (in a full scale car) kick due to a short firing the spark plug on a cylinder that was charged.

You wouldn't set up your controller with the motor of your nitro plane running right? (with the exceptions of idle and throttle kill)

You (hopefully) don't fill your gas tank or fuel your nitro planes with a light cigarette in your mouth or hand right?

Some basic precautions on either side of this fence and you can avoid getting hurt.
ProBro# 2836
"That's what the cock ring is for" (Prowler)
3dRookie
Pro Bro

Remove Advertisements

TheProfileBrotherhood.com
Advertisement

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:59 am

Well, ya cant fix stupid. An electric bird is not going after anyone unless the battery is plugged in. That is considered starting it. Ya treat it as if the prop is spinning all the time just like after you flip and flip the gass or nitro shit. How many people have been hurt trying to tune a stupid gasser or nitro bird? Pluggin in the battery backwards? Well that is just stupid. Do not do it. Make your setup so you can not. If you can not figure out how to not plug a battery into itself then you better had just stay with gas or nitro I guess. I like gas on 50cc and up. Anything below that is sweet with electric. Talk about a learning curve.. Shit. For me electrics is easier to understand and work on and set up than fucking with the gas and nitro. Most people in the hobby have just started out with glow or gas and that is what they learned and is what they know. You saw how much trouble I have had with my stupid gasser. carb screen? what carb screen? do not fill with a "t'? how the fuck am I supposed to know that. I never learned it. I am still struggling with tuning the fucker. Is it fun? Yes..do I want to learn? Yes. Will I stop with electrics? no. Do I know how to treat an electric when the freggin battery is plugged in? Yes. common sense and a little smarts is needed with electrics...yes. Just like it is with combustion..
It takes a special kind of stupid to believe Criminals will follow Gun Laws or Drone laws...
All my Drones are electric except one that is 55cc Gas.
Prowler: "Have JED will travel"
RMM
ProBro #2837
Zamfir
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:22 am

I agree, however it HAS happened. To BRO"S!!! Kinda like the reason there is a warning the box for the hair drier saying "Do NOT use in SHOWER"!!! Someone at some point DID it!!!! It was not Ian who burned himself, can't remember his name, but it was the guy in the Wounded Warrior project due to wounds suffered overseas. Happened at Space city in Houston. Main reason I prefer fuel over Efag is the fact I am a gear head. The power from E goes south from the instant you plug it in. Fuel gets better as the engine temp comes up and the tank gets lighter. But I can tune them so well I rarely have any issues. I also like to be able to HEAR the power setting while others are in the air. Can't do that with electric.
RIP Duke, Daddy loves you ALWAYS!
Thumbskull "Wulfie is the Liberace of ProBro's". RIP John, you are missed Brother.
Mchone Jake. "My gym teacher touched me! I didn't mind it"!
Evan Shadix. "wish apc had a trade in program"!
rcaircraftnut
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:32 am

Couldn't remember who smoked themselves, (sorry Ian, knew it was TX bro tho)

Actually, if it's COLD as shit enough,... E :gay: power slightly improves as things warm up as well,.... of course that's only if your pulling enough from the pack to actually get it warm, and by that point, it's probably mostly dead so it's time to fuckin land anyway because you can't feel your thumbs......

Just thought I'd toss that out there!!! :mrgreen:
ProBro# 2836
"That's what the cock ring is for" (Prowler)
3dRookie
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:09 am

I fly electric on the small stuff. The field closest to my house is electric only and Pilgrim fly's electric only. So if Pilgrim and I are going to fly together at the closest field I have to have some stuff electric.
Also my float plane is electric. Much simpler for float flying.
Having said all that I have a Primo 40 that I built electric put a few fights on it and am now converting to glow, 55ax w/ccp.
Electric on that plane just didn't do it for me, and after watching WCB fly his Primo w/55ax and ccp at Beaver Bro-----WOOF! That was great..
My favorite maneuver... The Walk Of Shame.
iceman1
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:58 am

That is true. It HAS happend to Bros also that a piece of finger is missing from a nitro bird fiddly deeing with the needles.. And it HAS happend to Bros that the motor backfired while starting with using a finger to flip and they got cut...And It HAS happened that the engine started backwards and flung the freggin prop off.. So? Ya don't hear me chanting that nitro and Gas is DANGEROUS!!! Sure it is. So is electric. I don't get your point at all nut. Just sayin..Choosing electric over nitro or gas has 0 to do with one being safer than the other or causing less accidents than the other. You can be stupid about both and get hurt.
It takes a special kind of stupid to believe Criminals will follow Gun Laws or Drone laws...
All my Drones are electric except one that is 55cc Gas.
Prowler: "Have JED will travel"
RMM
ProBro #2837
Zamfir
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:42 am

...i don't know of this tuning and tinkering that you speak of...

...also, i have always got away with breaking in an engine on the airframe, usually 1 or 2 tanks on the ground set real rich, then go fly.

...and, btw, I also love electric stuff, but will prolly always keep it to the 15-25 size stuff and glow for the 45 planes, and like bronco will prolly never go any bigger for the same reasons he listed.
Attachments
0213141948.jpg
combining the best pieces of 3 old OS 70's for a float plane
Spitfire Mk IIID
2 Sbach 45's
VH G202 & Sbach
Wild Tiger (RIP Iron man 2018)
EE 25
Bouncer
Tritle Luscombe Silvair
Crack Camel
Mirage 2000
"It's always better to regret something you have done than something you haven't" Butthole Surfers
the lift
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:59 am

"combining the best pieces of 3 old OS 70's for a float plane"

Ok, I thought there were too many parts in that pic :D

Instead of having to use parts out of three engines you could've just used one G32 :roll:
Attachments
IMG_1959.JPG
YS FZ140 rebuilt
The Argentinian Pro Bro!!!!!!!!!!!

And now proud member of the RMM.
gus
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:18 am

You guys dont have to disassemble your engines just to prove a point :wink:
Scratch built slabs, nitro power, any questions!! :rockon:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:18 am

For me the obstacle to electric was the charging setup costs. Last year I remedied that with a nice charging setup using a 306b with 1000 watts provided by two server power supplies. Built it into a nice case and the whole mess cost less than 300 bones. Bought a noisy ass HF generator for $80 and suddenly charging those 6s batts for the helicopter or a billion little batts was cake. Now I can go all electric if I want. I think my next big helicopter will be electric but that stuff is still expensive. Can't really use cheap ass VH crap in a big helicopter so a person has to spend the coin. Still, it would be nice to ween the glow out of my hobby. I still have to spend 30somthing bucks for a gallon of 30% and have to drive an hour each way to get it. Batteries are one Submit Order click and a few days away. I do like little tiny engines though....
Slabs: Sabre 35, Slide 18, GBR foamie
Combat: Swift II foamie wing
Helicopters: Outrage Velocity 50 FBL, T-Rex 500, T-Rex 450, Scale UH1-N, mCPX, mCPX BL
Piece of crap: Pizza Box Flyer
JasonJ
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:24 am

gus wrote:"combining the best pieces of 3 old OS 70's for a float plane"

Ok, I thought there were too many parts in that pic :D

Instead of having to use parts out of three engines you could've just used one G32 :roll:

the point is, i guess, that its (epowa) too easy. I enjoy doing this kind of stuff!

dude, i'd love a YS some day, like a 70 fz :rockon:
Spitfire Mk IIID
2 Sbach 45's
VH G202 & Sbach
Wild Tiger (RIP Iron man 2018)
EE 25
Bouncer
Tritle Luscombe Silvair
Crack Camel
Mirage 2000
"It's always better to regret something you have done than something you haven't" Butthole Surfers
the lift
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:56 pm

Well you guys not long ago were learning to,holding on to glow and building light was the word. Ant much changed,glad most of you still here,and now we have gas for the bigger planes. Fun reading back post,seems hooks was hard on planes back then,some things never change,and WF was building balsa light planes then.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Location: 1 mile from lake Thurmond 15miles north of augusta ga.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:09 pm

Three engines to make one,thats funny. Just trying to move the oversex off top ten list and have bit of fun doing it. You guys could help,plug would not have to post so much. Time for a new WF build,a slick 41 maybe,he has the plans,if he is not working on the sail boat. And speaking of WF,have you talked with hooks about mini fly in,a good date. Mind you,i am not expecting a big deal,mostly that i meet you guys in person,and learn a few WF secrets of foam. If better i can wait till late fall,be hot down there soon.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:20 pm

The one thing i never see,well almost, on ebay are os55ax. Must be the most in demand nitro engine out there. Pure power in a light frame that works very well indeed.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:17 pm

sparkplug wrote:The one thing i never see,well almost, on ebay are os55ax. Must be the most in demand nitro engine out there. Pure power in a light frame that works very well indeed.

I got a few.....
Gave one away once,with ,a header and, perfectly tuned mcp,with a slab to put it on!!!!!two months later i talk to the seejay........,hadnt got around to it he said. :( ...foreskin was retired... :roll:
Not giving anymore away!!!you must have the right song in your heart to play with the almighty os 55ax :nah:
athol probro stickbangers club

"There is room in the Hood for everyone, but not everybody finds a home in the Hood"
- goofy-

"Best part is if you dork a harrier from a few feet up, it's like a decent CJ landing" -steener-
doinkedit
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:58 pm

Brought tears to my eyes,a 55ax should never end up like that,in some lonely box with no oil i bet.
sparkplug
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:32 pm

Looking at the box of el motors i have amassed,plus the flying of them i will say,you get what you pay for. The turnigy motors cost 30 or 40 bucks,but they do run better and look good,smooth one might say. Good for the money middle ground motor,not the best,better than cheapeees. And so it is with most stuff in life,give a bit more,get a lot more. You hearing you cheap servo flying guys,give a bit more,you will like it. :tu: :tu: :D :D
sparkplug
Pro Bro

Previous

Return to Electric, The ProBro Way