The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Balsa

1K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  gus 
#1 ·
I will post pictures tomorrow but just wanted to share with everyone my experience. Went through my local hobby shop and order some Balsa from SIG. 40 sheets of 1/16 x 3 x 36, 25 sheets of 3/32 x 3 x 36, and 15 sheets of 1/4 x 2 x 36. Meant to order 3" wide 1/4" but didn't realize my mistake until I picked up the wood. Took quite a while to get the wood in but I'm very happy with what I got. All very well cut and good quality. Mind you this came at a price as it's a good bit more than ordering from tower hobbies. I have been happy with what I have gotten from tower but it's kind of a crap shoot as some times you will get absolute junk. I paid $106 for what I ordered. If you work up the same order at national it's a little bit more.

In a nut shell from now on I will be ordering all my wood from sig or at least until I get some that is crap.

#4 ·
We had a Hobby Town until about a year ago. They had a 40% off going out of business sale. I picked up a bunch of balsa and hard wood.

A friend of mine went to Joe Nall a couple of years ago. He picked up a couple of bundles of 1/16"x4"x48" and 3/32"x4"x48" from National Balsa. It was their contest grade and half off.

#6 ·
From a 2 second search.................

WHERE DOES BALSA WOOD COME FROM?
Balsa trees grow naturally in the humid rain forests of Central and South America. Its natural range extends south from Guatemala, through Central America, to the north and west coast of South America as far as Bolivia.

2 more seconds........................

Balsa trees grow naturally in the humid rain forests of Central and South America. Its natural range extends south from Guatemala, through Central America, to the north and west coast of South America as far as Bolivia. However, the small country of Ecquador on the western coast of South America, is the primary source of model aircraft grade blasa in the world. Blasa needs a warm climate with plenty of rainfall and good drainage. For that reason, the best stands of balsa usually appear on the high ground between tropical rivers. Ecquador has the ideal geography and climate for growing balsa trees. The scientific name for balsa wood is ochroma lagopus. The word balsa itself is Spanish meaning raft, in reference to its excellent floatation qualities. In Ecquador it is known as Boya, meaning buoy.

#11 ·
JAG said:
How is the weight on Sig's balsa?
I have been very pleased with their ply.
I will weigh it tonight when I get home from work. I don't have anything to compare weights with though as all the stuff I ever bought from tower was 4" wide.

#15 ·
BalsaDust said:
JAG said:
How is the weight on Sig's balsa?
I have been very pleased with their ply.
I will weigh it tonight when I get home from work. I don't have anything to compare weights with though as all the stuff I ever bought from tower was 4" wide.
I can take a pic tonight and post it.
I always write the weight of each sheet on them.
I'got great and shitty wood from all the wood sellers I have bought in the past.

#18 ·
I guess I have never been anal enough to care that much. Normally just pick it by eye.

#25 ·
steener said:
One of my cutting mats look like that too. Borrowed it to my daughter for a project. She left it in her car at work and now it looks like yours. I tried leaving it in the sun to flatten out but no improvement.
Dunno what you talking about... :mrgreen:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.