The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Sluggish Servo Movement

8K views 34 replies 18 participants last post by  2-Stroke Freak 
#1 ·
So I pulled out my fully charged Primo this past weekend. Upon a ground check three servos are not only sluggish but barely moving at all. When I throw the sticks the control surfaces either move really sloooooooooooowly or not at all. I have not flown this plane in a while, but I have never experienced this with planes, I've not flown for years... Battery is charged and 2.4 is bound to the plane. I mean is it on the rx side, servo grease, wire connections?! Before I start tearing everything apart and looking, has anyone ever experienced this. I searched the threads but didn't find anything. If anyone has some advice or can point me at the right thread, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

#27 ·
A123's also hold voltrage for ever. NiMH and Nicad will self discharge much faster. I also like the boost in voltage 6.6V makes a pretty big difference in overall servo performance. Not to mention being ready to fly in about 15-30 minutes. But in the end Its all a prefrence thing

on a side not, chances are most people have atleast one E bird, so they probably have a charger. Many chargers can be made to charge liFe or a123 if you mess with the settings. There is usually an option for "end voltage" or something along those lines hidden somewhere in the menu

#28 ·
Maniac, I am just like you with not wanting change - as long as the system I have is working fine. I had NIMH for years and years with no problems. I had 3 Ace Digipulse chargers that always had my planes charged and trickle charged ready to go. Then I had about 4 NIMH's that needed replacement - and at about $25 each it was a no brainer to switch to WW A123 because Richards combo deal had his price on the 1100's about the same as the NIMH, and the A123 were lighter.

Well, I got the combo deal and couldn't be happier - and now wish I would have switched to WW A123 much sooner. There is so many reasons.. One of the nicest thing is that I don't have to store my planes all together within reach of the Digipulse. Since they are not on trickle, I can put them anywhere. I don't have to worry about plugging them in right after flying. I feel there is much more power with the A123. No memory loss as the other have stated. SUPER FAST CHARGING!! Top off at the beginning or end of the day in 10 or 15 minutes and you are ready for a full day of worry free flying.

#29 ·
kingmeow said:
Not exactly true. As a matter of fact nicads and NiMH have a flatter discharge curve than Li.

http://www.mpoweruk.com/performance.htm
We are not talking about li ion we are talking about li Fe. lithium ion is still not as flat of a curve as lithium fosphate. the battery will hold it's nominal voltage of 6.6 until the last 10% or so of the charge and then dump so hard the graph would look like a wall.

#31 ·
darylm said:
I switched to A123 and LiFe batteries when Spektrum was having brown out problems. These batteries hold there voltage under load which kept the Spektrum receiver from having a brown out and reboot problem.
Cured that brown out problem with a capacitor...have had no problems with them, but looking into the A123's

#32 ·
Well got to the bottom of it…it wasn't batteries or fried servos. It was gummy servos. The two most affected were the tail feathers on the dirty side. Fut 3305 metal gears. Upon opening them up I, immediately saw the goo seepage. Cleaned everything up with alcohol, applied lithium grease to the gears and a drop of machine oil to the bearings and bam good as new. Still going to look into those A123 bats though.

#33 ·
Glad you got it sorted. You will love the a123 batts. I have em in every bird I own.

#34 ·
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it sorted out.

#35 ·
In the back of my mind I was thinking sludged pots too....

I remember a buddy having to de sludge servo's in his combat fleet every spring, he'd get a hand full that were slow.

Since you had question of your battery being junk, best to start off with a good battery and diagnose from there.

Good point from Daryl M about A123 pushing Voltage under load. Thats where the A123's really shine and will make crappy servos look good and good servos look like rock stars!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.