I GOT A BOXXER!!!

Re: I GOT A BOXXER!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:00 pm

Yeah I guess. Does it matter how far the hole is from the te?
WrongRudderR/C

Gayjo40 / Yak47 / WhoreHawk63 / Glitter55 / UL Slick35 / LamSuk46 / EE25 / Razoryak67-RTC / Fusion67-RTC / Moass60-Needs TLC / EE60-RTC / GlitterJR-Cut / BigTiddyGlitter-Cut
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:39 pm

As long as the hole is the same distance from the TE on both top and bottom wings it should be fine.
ProBro# 2836
"That's what the cock ring is for" (Prowler)
3dRookie
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:30 pm

That's good. I did one tonight. It worked well I set it out a 1/2" from the TE so the connecting rod has plenty of room so it won't bind up when I give the rons all they got! I want it to twinkle roll!! :rockoncool:
WrongRudderR/C

Gayjo40 / Yak47 / WhoreHawk63 / Glitter55 / UL Slick35 / LamSuk46 / EE25 / Razoryak67-RTC / Fusion67-RTC / Moass60-Needs TLC / EE60-RTC / GlitterJR-Cut / BigTiddyGlitter-Cut
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:00 am

Well I got it all finished and we it all day it my clubs Ann. Big balsa bust fly-in.

With the cg back and the new Ron horns installed it is a totally different plane!

I had to zip tie a 6v 2000mah nimh just under the x's on the fuse. This made it a bit too tail heavy, and the Ron horns bound on the pushrod ez links so I had to bend the pushrods out a bit to get just 90% throw so later I'll have to get another two pushrods and make z bends.

It is a tumbly, hard snapping son of a bitch! It can be hard to control at times because it can get away from you pretty quick.

It's got a great and very smooth roll rate for rollers. It tracks pretty well thru maneuvers and in the circuit because I had to dodge warturds the first flight so I had to play nice in the pattern while the CJs got them on the runway lol.
It's gatta hell of an elevator! It now walls and water falls really wet inside, out side not too bad.
Tho it rolls perfectly strait and axial, it's ke sucks. It has a ton of pull toward the gear and rolls quite a bit too so I think I need some reflex or something, any advise?
Because of the extreme pitch and roll coupling when only rudder is applied (I can do an outside rudder barrel roll of I just apply rudder) it will not do even half a ke loop or a ke spin, but it does pin wheel much better, but for no more than two turns. It flat spins upright easly but inverted..not so much. Walls and upright waterfalls are crazy tight, but outside they aren't very tight, but doable. Inverted harriers aren't easy because it rolls out upright too easly to do them very low.
It can snap, inside or outside, so hard it continues for two or three rotations after you let go of the stix.

She's a hand full but it gets more fun to fly the more I fly it!
No vid tho because in my rush and loading 7 planes into my car I forgot my camera but I'll get some this week ;)
WrongRudderR/C

WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:12 am

It sounds like you had a good time flinging it around.

It should KE better. Either I hate to say it again the Vg is way off or you have some reflex in the rons maybe? And it sounds like you have it on the tail heavy side so it's gonna be a wild biatch. But it's your plane and maybe just set it up to where you like it and find a happy medium.

Maybe chk your engine thrust line? Pretty sure it should be zero up and down.

Inverted harrier should be a lot better also. Something isn't set up right but you know what yer doing so I'm not trying to be a know it all.

The way you fly your crazy to use those Ezlinks. :D

I'd love to see a video, I die laughing the way you throw planes around. :D
Nitro Planes
Sabre 57 Saito 125
Boxxer Saito 82

E-Fag Planes
40 Size Yak 54 VH G-40
Primo 15
Bouncer
Nite Bouncer
Airfoilz Bipe
PA AMC Bipe
Sabre 15
Q Extra 260 Foamie
Sabre 47
Boxxer/Scorpion
40 size Sbiatch/Scorpion
Lil Spaz Accel Bipe/Dualsky
Wulf_Flieger
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:48 pm

The engine is 0 and 0 for thrust. Ailerons are set exactly zero degrees per the LE to TE chord line at the tips and not warped or ascue in the middle either.

It is too tail heavy because it glided very flat to the point of stall and climbs inverted. I'll get a smaller, lighter battery pack soon but the AA size 2000mah was all I had. I'm going to go down to a 2/3 A 1200mah pack as soon as I can head north. All my jobs this week take me no less than an hour south of home so an hour trip north will have to wait a while.

Should the rons have reflex? If so, which ones? I havnt checked for lateral ballance so I will do that. How can I check for vertical ballance?
WrongRudderR/C

WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:34 pm

For VG hang the plane with two seperate lines from the cieling by the prop shaft and a t pin in the tail on the thrust line thru the v stabilizer post. I put a tiny drop of ca glue on the pin so it doesn't pull out and the plane gets smashed.

I believe its going to be off, double tape that ballast pack or whatever pack you want to use for the cg and place it higher or lower on the fuse wherever it needs to be so that the plane is in a knife edge hands off. Mark that spot with tape and figure a way to mount it there for ballast.

Sometimes heavier or lighter wheels will work depending on how much it is off by.

I don't think you want reflex or differential in the ailerons.

I would just for the heck of it out of curiosity check the incidence of the upper wing if you have an incidence meter. The lower wing is pretty much fixed by the cutout, with a bit of room for sanding and zeroing but that is another possibility. There should be zero degrees of incidence on the top wing in reference to the thrust line.

If this doesn't help I would PM Tryflyer and maybe pick his brain. He's a super nice guy and knows a heck of alot more then I ever will.
Nitro Planes
Sabre 57 Saito 125
Boxxer Saito 82

E-Fag Planes
40 Size Yak 54 VH G-40
Primo 15
Bouncer
Nite Bouncer
Airfoilz Bipe
PA AMC Bipe
Sabre 15
Q Extra 260 Foamie
Sabre 47
Boxxer/Scorpion
40 size Sbiatch/Scorpion
Wulf_Flieger
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:05 pm

I don't have a meter, but if it's zero incidence then shouldn't the distance between the two leading edges be the same as the distance between the two TE?
WrongRudderR/C

WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:19 pm

I never thought of that and not so sure on how accurate it would be. I'm thinking say its off by 1.5 degrees which on the incidence meter it would be easily readable that distance may only be like 1/64th of an inch in height difference and would be hard to accurately measure. I'm just thinking out loud. I honestly don't know.

Try the VG and cg for now see how it flies and if it's still off in KE then work on figuring a way for measuring the incidence. The incidence might be fine and just need a simple vg adjustment.

Do you have the aileron servos installed in the upper or lower wing I can't remember? On the V2 Jeremy moved them to the upper wing and stated it gave better inverted performance. Exactly why I'm not sure other then it brought the vg in closer if it wasn't chkd and adjusted.

Where's that damn Matchless when you need him anyway? :D I miss the damn Brainiac.

I hope you get it figured out.
Nitro Planes
Sabre 57 Saito 125
Boxxer Saito 82

E-Fag Planes
40 Size Yak 54 VH G-40
Primo 15
Bouncer
Nite Bouncer
Airfoilz Bipe
PA AMC Bipe
Sabre 15
Q Extra 260 Foamie
Sabre 47
Boxxer/Scorpion
40 size Sbiatch/Scorpion
Wulf_Flieger
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:30 pm

I do have two ds821s in the top wing but I could go lighter on the wheels.

Thanks for the help! It's gonna be real fun after I get it lined out! It's my first real bipe other than an old sig skybolt but it flew perfect so I didn't have to touch a thing.

Thinking out loud..you think tetherlight legs are lighter than the stock/regular aluminum legs?
WrongRudderR/C

WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Does it need to lighten up on the belly side? You hung it already?

The aluminum legs that came with the Chak Arf were pretty damn lite. I might have a pair you could have them since I can make new ones at work if I ever need them.

I pancake alot so like the tetherites cause I bend the crap out of aluminum ones.

If your fine with the aluminum yeah I think you could get or make lighter ones out of aluminum.

Let me know, but i'm curious if you determined you need to lighten up the belly side.
Nitro Planes
Sabre 57 Saito 125
Boxxer Saito 82

E-Fag Planes
40 Size Yak 54 VH G-40
Primo 15
Bouncer
Nite Bouncer
Airfoilz Bipe
PA AMC Bipe
Sabre 15
Q Extra 260 Foamie
Sabre 47
Boxxer/Scorpion
40 size Sbiatch/Scorpion
Wulf_Flieger
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Wulfie has you on the right track.

Mine came out pretty clean for KE performance,... little sloppy on outside loops, tho if I time throttle just right it'll waterfall fairly well.
ProBro# 2836
"That's what the cock ring is for" (Prowler)
3dRookie
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:29 pm

I havnt hung it yet. Would the rear thrust line be at the horizontal stab?

It did ke much better when it was way nose heavy, I recall no excess roll on the fist few flights before I hung the battery way back there yesterday.
WrongRudderR/C

WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:36 pm

I can't remember off hand if the stab sits on top of the tube inline or what. the tube should be the thrust line but I will take a look at the plans in the morning cause I'm at work right now. Sorry.
Nitro Planes
Sabre 57 Saito 125
Boxxer Saito 82

E-Fag Planes
40 Size Yak 54 VH G-40
Primo 15
Bouncer
Nite Bouncer
Airfoilz Bipe
PA AMC Bipe
Sabre 15
Q Extra 260 Foamie
Sabre 47
Boxxer/Scorpion
40 size Sbiatch/Scorpion
Wulf_Flieger
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:01 am

I'm not sure if the ARF has a tube but I guess it has to because the fuse seems to be sheeted foam.
WrongRudderR/C

WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:38 am

Ooops it's the arf. no idea sorry. The kit one I just looked at the tube is right on the thrust line.

Sorry no idea on the ARF. Maybe that's why it flies crazy. I would really go over for warps and especially the incidence. Unless they came up with some clever jig for setting the incidences for mass production.

You know anyone you could borrow and incidence meter from?

If you like Bipes and plan on this not being the last one it's well worth the investment. 1 degree on the top wing can change the stall charectristics pretty effectively. That's why on the sport Bipes they use 1 degree of negative incidence on the top wing so the lower wing stalls first on landing and the top one doesn't stall. Thats only 1 degree. So a 2 degree error could greatly effect it. Sounds crazy butI believe it. Think about what a 2 degree engine offset can do.

Anyway don't get too crazy, just fling it around like a rag doll like you usually do and laugh yer balls off. :D
Nitro Planes
Sabre 57 Saito 125
Boxxer Saito 82

E-Fag Planes
40 Size Yak 54 VH G-40
Primo 15
Bouncer
Nite Bouncer
Airfoilz Bipe
PA AMC Bipe
Sabre 15
Q Extra 260 Foamie
Sabre 47
Boxxer/Scorpion
40 size Sbiatch/Scorpion
Wulf_Flieger
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:19 am

I had the ARF and the fuse was sheeted foam with two tubes.

I don't own an incidence meter either, so measured the distance between the wing's leading and trailing edges, which seemed to work fine. Never vertically balanced it, because I wasn't sure what to use as the center line on a bipe.

As mentioned, there is a lot of coupling and I spent quite a bit of time trimming my Boxxer. I reduced my rudder throw to about 45 degrees and mixed in 8 or 9 degrees of up elev to the rudder. There was still tons of yaw authority and the rudder coupling was much less pronounced. There's really no way to balance/trim/mix out all the coupling of this plane, but once you get used to it's eccentricities, it is quite predictable an absolute blast to fly.
Owner of the X-Wing Boxxer.
modestmagi
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 am

Agreed. I'll use a bit more rudder expo (I'm at 40 now) and after I check cg and inc. it should be about perfect. I've only had one slab that ke'ed hands off (proyak atf) so I'm used to holding in a bit of Ron and elevator and flying the ke and slipping but as it is now it won't ke unless at a good speed. No high-ish alpha ke and forget ke loops.
But ke is my only issue that a bit further forward cg won't fix!
WrongRudderR/C

WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:20 pm

Ok so I tried to hang it and I really don't know if I had the right rear point coz it was top heavy. What's the rear thrust line measured at the rudder hung line, measured up from the bottom of the fuse.?

I already have large wheels and the big batt at the bottom of the fuse as well as all the servo wires running up the bottom of the fuse so I'd say I was off. I measured about 1/2" down from the bottom of the stab/elev. at the rudder hing line.

Btw, my current dry cg is 3/4" up from the TE of the top wing.
WrongRudderR/C

WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:37 pm

OK, so while we're waiting 49 more min for the vid to upload i'll throw on a couple pix from the fly-in
Attachments
profilepic2.jpg
zen-like concentration...
boxxer_7-22-12.jpg
boxxer_7-21-12_2.jpg
boxxer_7-21-12.jpg
WrongRudderR/C

WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PreviousNext

Return to Ohio Model Products