The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Good Wireless Router

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  allen 
#1 ·
Can any bros reccomend a good wireless router? Mostly for netflix, probro website oh and yeah my job stuff.

Thanks,

Honker

#2 ·
How fast is your internet service? You can get routers that have way better transmission speeds than basic cable internet speeds. So, it's tough to recommend a router without knowing what we are working with.

#3 ·
I am on Cincinnati bell, not sure what the speed is. The problem with my router is it has poor range slow speed, disconnects a lot. When I use my hardwire connection all my company stuff flows thru quick, never an issue. I think My router sucks.

#6 ·
Honker said:
5 Mbps
Download Speed

768 Kbps
Upload Speed

Is that any good?
Is that the advertised speed or the actual measured speed? My provider in the boonies of Maine says "up to 5 Mb/s" but it's closer to 2 Mb/s. There are several test sites out there, try http://performance.toast.net/ for one test.
5 mb/s is rather slow, probably can't watch movies without lots of buffering.

#7 ·
All-In-One Test Results

Loaded 754,928 bytes in 0.606 seconds from TOAST.net (OH) server.

Your Results: 9966 Kb
Avg. Results: 7930 Kb
Comcast: 9583 Kb
Sbcglobal: 9910 Kb

This is what I got from the test, about 10MB. I think my router still sucks, I disconnect a lot, has crappy renge in the house

#12 ·
They offer no upgraded service from Cincinnati Bell in my area. It is good enough for Netflix. The cable company said the cable speed in checks out, the only reason for disconnects and slowdowns is the router they say.

I don't knw alot about this stuff, I just use for work. Could it by the wireless router? It is a D-Link Model DRI- 605L. 35 bucks. I am thinking junk?

Thanks

#13 ·
Routers do fail over time, and disconnects are symptom. I'm running a Linksys EA9300, which is a $300 router, but worth it if you have a connection like mine. Just swap yours for a $100 linksys and your disconnect issues should go away.

#15 ·
My neighborhood is getting wired for fiber optic right now. I'm excited. When it's up and running I'm going to see what the pricing will be as compact to Comcast. I can't complain too much about Comcast. It's a bit pricey, but works pretty darn good.

#16 ·
I was spending $200/month on Comcast. Internet, TV, premium channels, etc.

I ditched all of that. I'm paying $100/month for Consolidated fiber. My speeds are 20x faster down, 100x faster up. It comes with 100 tv channels I don't use. I pay $30/month for Netflix & Hulu, but I was already paying those when I had Comcast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.