New laptop, can I do this easily?

Need help fixing your PC? Need to know how to encode video? Just plain lost? The Pro Bro nerds will help you out here.

New laptop, can I do this easily?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:28 pm

I just bought a new HP laptop at what I thought was a great price.
It has a 1T hard drive and unfortunately Win 10. I haven't fired it up yet and figured I'd try to do a little research first. It's been seemingly forever since I've "worked" on a computer. I remember partitioning drives and at least on Dells there was a method to revert the whole system to original factory new condition.
My thought was to have the drive partitioned such that only the OS partition gets redone leaving the rest of the drive where all my files are kept untouched.
This may not be possible as i seem to recall partitioning has to be done during formatting before the OS is installed.
What do our resident pc experts have to say?

Thanks, Matt
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
basmntdweller
Pro Bro

Re: New laptop, can I do this easily?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:51 pm

I know what you are talking about. Rarely does anybody mess with the partitions on hard drives anymore. Typically windows is smarter than mere mortals. If you go to computer management / storage / disk management you can see how your drive is partitioned.

The best thing you can do is get rid of all the bloatware on it. Google search things like removing bloatware hp laptop, remove bloatware windows etc. You will not believe all the crap and apps loaded on it.

After a good cleaning then defrag the hard drive then add your programs.
Mojo 60 120AX BCP
MadYak 55AX CCP
Primo 40 - RIP
Wild Tiger TT46 CCP
Sig Ultimate Profile
Crack Yak
Griffwerks Bipe
Sabre 35
Aj Laser DA35
Sbach 65 DLE 20
Tai Ji 60
Sbach 65 Dle 20
Mojo 65 OS GT22
3dhs slick OS33GT
3dhs Edge 540 DA35
Redwing Sbach MXS-r
caf2461
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:44 pm

You can partition it. This software is pretty reliable. There are free ones out there as well but check them out thoroughly before use.
http://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/d ... AnXE8P8HAQ

Not sure if HP has a recovery partition. It should tell in your documentation or google your particular laptop. I'm sure you will find the info. If no recovery partition you can usually get them to send a disk with the OS. You would be well advised to copy off any data you can't afford to lose to another device before doing any of the above. Online storage, external USB drive, thumb drive, etc.... If your data is valuable you should have a back up plan anyway.

If you plan to stay with Win 10 check this out
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-sec ... ids-guide/
Jack

Goofy wrote:you never write me anymore, we don't talk, I dress up nice for you and you don't even notice. You used to tell me I'm pretty all the time, and now, now it's like you.don't even notice me. :sad:
jrjr
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:07 pm

Also, take a look at O&O ShutUP10 a nifty little program that will keep an eye on your settings and suggest what should be turned on or off.
BobMaine
Pro Bro

Return to Computer Support