covering removal question

Share your decals and graphics, discuss covering and finishing models, and show off your latest masterpiece.

Re: covering removal question

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:34 pm

WoodPilot wrote:I didn't want to start another thread.

I have an old Fusion and RY I'm stripping for repairs and the old covering is sticking to them something horrible. The film comes off but the color stays behind.

I've used old covering and good duck tape to remove stubborn covering in the past but that's not working this time.

Any ideas??

I got a wing from a friend when I rebuilt my Carden Edge. That covering came off a lot like yours did. I did a lot of wiping it with acetone (clear covering gone, just color and adhesive remaining) then scraping with a single edge razor blade. This was followed by a bunch of sanding. I finally got it to the point I could recover it and the old crap didn't bleed through.
Bob Scheppele
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:38 pm

Like I said I tried that, stink. I have not tried acetone because I don't want to smear the color into the wood. Using more covering and tape isn't taking the coloring off at all.
WrongRudderR/C

Gayjo40 / Yak47 / WhoreHawk63 / Fusion67 / UL MXS35 / UL Slick35 / EE25 / EE36s on the table / LRC MiniPBF / Razoryak67-RTC / Moass60-Needs TLC / EE60-RTC / GlitterJR-Cut / BigTiddyGlitter-Cut
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:41 pm

Bob Scheppele wrote:
WoodPilot wrote:I didn't want to start another thread.

I have an old Fusion and RY I'm stripping for repairs and the old covering is sticking to them something horrible. The film comes off but the color stays behind.

I've used old covering and good duck tape to remove stubborn covering in the past but that's not working this time.

Any ideas??

I got a wing from a friend when I rebuilt my Carden Edge. That covering came off a lot like yours did. I did a lot of wiping it with acetone (clear covering gone, just color and adhesive remaining) then scraping with a single edge razor blade. This was followed by a bunch of sanding. I finally got it to the point I could recover it and the old crap didn't bleed through.

Ill try that but it'll be one hell of a pain. The fuse is mostly sheeting and not exactly flat after its hard life. I'll give it a shot, though.
WrongRudderR/C

Gayjo40 / Yak47 / WhoreHawk63 / Fusion67 / UL MXS35 / UL Slick35 / EE25 / EE36s on the table / LRC MiniPBF / Razoryak67-RTC / Moass60-Needs TLC / EE60-RTC / GlitterJR-Cut / BigTiddyGlitter-Cut
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:53 pm

Heat up the residue with an industrial heat gun and scrap it off with something flat. Then give it a sanding with 100 grit.
Motowncali
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:18 pm

This will take the covering off....
Attachments
soldering torch.png
soldering torch.png (72.49 KiB) Viewed 261 times
Doug B

To those in the military who serve, both past and present, to defend my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a wonderful life so far.
Doug B
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:04 pm

Doug B wrote:This will take the covering off....

yes it sure will! :mrgreen:
Anyone got any Cardens for sale???? I need another one!

Crappy Cut Kits your #1 source for kits cut crappily

B&E Graphix-> www.BandEGraphix.com
Planewrappers-> www.planewrappers.com
capthis
Pro Bro

Previous

Return to Covering, Decals, Graphics, and Finishing