The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

AR 15 Suggestions

9K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  Doug B 
#1 ·
Any Bros out there shoot AR 15s? I'm on the hunt for a mid level weapon (sport) and I have to say the options are pretty overwhelming. I know the first response is to build your own but I think I want one already put together. I was looking at the Ruger, DPMS Panther Oracle but I keep coming back the the S&W Sport II. I still haven't determined if that one is mil spec and will allow me to change the upper if I wanted to...which I doubt I will.

Thoughts on a sub 1k weapon?

#3 ·
I was firm on the Ruger but it sounds like much of that gun is proprietary, so no mixing and matching in the future if I want to tweak it. Clint from Castle is a big fan of the DPMS Panther Oracle. I like the looks but need to do more research.

#4 ·
Mason bought an Oracle a couple of months back. So far we've been really happy with. It's still basically stock but it performs really well, especially at it's price point. Even with a cheap scope it shoots 1-2" groups at a hunnert yards offhand from a bench, no rest or bags. I imagine with a little better optics and better than the cheapest off the shelf ammo it would do a lot better but IMHO for the money it's a great piece.

#7 ·
Start woith some education and save some money.

Build it.

Really. It's not hard. A dealer can help you too. If you start with a store bought AR complete, you will be throwing half of it away.
The hardest part is figuring out what style you want.

#10 ·
ThumbSkull said:
Start woith some education and save some money.

Build it.

Really. It's not hard. A dealer can help you too. If you start with a store bought AR complete, you will be throwing half of it away.
The hardest part is figuring out what style you want.
Agreed. With just a few custom tools, you can easily build one. And....then you have all the tools and knowledge for maintenance and eventual upgrades.

#11 ·
I see new AR's going for 500 - 600 bucks tops at gun shows now. For your first one, don't over pay for a name.

#13 ·
I shoot a Ruger AR556 and chose over the S&W due to the better barrel twist ratio on the Ruger. I agree the factory trigger is not that great, I replaced mine with a timney drop in, but it was pricey. As far as accessories and proprietary stuff, majority of the gun is Mil-Spec so lots of interchange. Next go round I'll build from scratch but without a doubt you cant go wrong with the Ruger Ar556 or S&W M&P for a good quality entry level AR15. They are a ton of fun to shoot!

#14 ·
FWIW, I have a Stag model 3, a DPMS and one I built from a PSA kit. In the middle of building a fourth all individually sourced parts. IMO, a premium PSA kit will give the best bang for your buck and you'll end up with a very nice weapon.
Just a warning, ARs seem to multiply. You start with just one and next thing you know you have an entire gun safe dedicated to them.

Matt

#15 ·
So after hearing about Obama's supreme court pick, I decided it is time to proceed with a purchase. Really thinking about building my own. PSA seems to have decent kits and reviews and they have a kit for $389 on sale. Found a Anderson lower for $50 and a 30rd mag for $15. With shipping, I could put one together for right at $475. Would still need sights of some type and ammo, but that's a pretty good price. Talked to my son and he wants to get one too, so we're thinking about ordering a couple. Any thoughts on these? Is there anything else I need that I'm not including?

#16 ·
joebob said:
So after hearing about Obama's supreme court pick, I decided it is time to proceed with a purchase. Really thinking about building my own. PSA seems to have decent kits and reviews and they have a kit for $389 on sale. Found a Anderson lower for $50 and a 30rd mag for $15. With shipping, I could put one together for right at $475. Would still need sights of some type and ammo, but that's a pretty good price. Talked to my son and he wants to get one too, so we're thinking about ordering a couple. Any thoughts on these? Is there anything else I need that I'm not including?
That will get you on the range no problem and should give you a serviceable weapon. Bushnell makes the TRS-100 red dot that is well regarded. Generally the best rated red dot under $100. If the rifle kit you are looking at has the front post sight installed, an inexpensive peep sight works just fine as well.
The PSA kit I built was the stainless Freedom rifle kit with 1:7 twist barrel. Trigger was generic at best with noticeable creep and an inconsistent break. I ended up with a Rock River 2 stage kit in it.

Good luck! Matt

#19 ·
BillyHell said:
Thoughts on a sub 1k weapon?
I built my wife's for about a $700. I like Palmetto State Armory uppers out of South Carolina. I'm using Spike's Tactical lower receiver & their enhanced parts kit. Magpul everything on furniture & flip up sights. If you assemble one you'll enjoy it more, and it's easier than putting together an ARF.

and my wife's is "better than milspec". Upgraded buffer spring, damper, bolt carrier group, & better than milspec lower internals with a single stage trigger.

Uppers are like propellers.. it's a lightning fast swap, use whatever fits what you're doing that day. If you want to spend a little money, you can shoot .300 blackout subsonic rounds with a can on the end and it sounds like a staple gun that efficiently kills hogs. You can shoot without ear protection for hours.

#20 ·
So I ended up ordering a couple of PSA kits yesterday. With all the statements on their site saying to allow up to 15 days for shipping I wasn't expecting anything soon. Just got notification last night that everything had shipped! Supposed to be here Tuesday. Now I gotta hurry up and get the lowers. Found a local guy that sells Spikes Tactical ones for $85 out the door including transfer fee so I'm heading over there in the morning to pick them up. Now looking for a cheap but decent red dot sight. And ammo....

#24 ·
Here's the kit I got. Can anyone tell me if I will need a riser or not? This is my first AR so I'm not up on all the terminology and options. http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m ... e-kit.html

Picking up the lowers tomorrow. Guy has the Spikes Tactical spider, punisher, and Spartan for $85, or an Aero Precision for $75. Any preferences between the spikes and Aero? I wanted the zombie one, but he doesn't have them in stock....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.