The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

wing building tips for a Noob builder

8K views 57 replies 29 participants last post by  rgandee 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have been sitting on my hands since Xmas to finish building my slide 58, a little bit due to time, mostly due to being chickenshit when it comes down to building the wing, which is where I stopped a few days after Xmas.

I am finally down to getting it done, got some blue foam board sitting on top of a big hunk of quartz countertop, got my plans laid out, cut a pair of new tip ribs to replace damaged one's, and I started framing up last night.

IMAG0620.jpg

Now I have searched a bit here, and I am learning some things the hard way like lay down your spars first and then the ribs so you don't have to move things, work the spar in a little at a time all the way down the wing and them some more over and over till they all seat, treat the balsa like a babies fingers and finesse everything to keep the cracking noises to a minimum, etc...

Do the Bros have anymore tips for a Noob? I can learn it all over time the hard way, but want to make the least amount of mistakes now rather than later.

Thanks Bros

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You probably already have seen the Mojo for dummies thread. That is a good one.

The no. 1 thing is to keep everything straight. Taking time as you go with squares to make sure your ribs are perpendicular to the board and straightedges to make sure your board is straight and your wing STAYS straight are key - because fixing those later is a PITA if you don't do it right the 1st time and flight performance will be affected adversely if everything is not straight and true.

It looks like you have a great start with your blocks keeping the ribs square and in place and your clamps holding things where they belong.

Go slow and take your time, it will be very rewarding in the end.

#3 ·
I build on a hollow core door. I like knowing that when I pin stuff down its not going to pull out. I would watch that foam.....it will weaken with time. The best thing I can tell you is to build, build, build!! You will get better each time and learn all the ins and outs. Good luck and post your pics in the "what are you building" thread.

#5 ·
Goofy, get $20 worth of magnets in a shape of rectangular cubes 1/4"x1/4"x1"from Home Depot. I think they come in a pack of 8 magnets per pack and cost ~$4-$5. Putting wing rib between a pair of those magnets will ensure that you got a perfect 90 degrees angle. And like Flyingilmore said your next build will always be better that the one before, so build, build , build...

#7 ·
heres another thing ive got several glass square pieces,3/8 thick like 18x20,12x18,several sizes,what I do before buildin is put the ply part between 2 pieces of glass clamp,or weight then hit it with a heat gun,and leave it set usually weeks cause building time is rare for me, comes out very flat.

#8 ·
Just pay attention as you build. We all have little things we do differently from others, habits etc that I personally can't remember 'til I'm actually building and even then won't really think about it. Take your time and ask questions anytime you get stuck or simply wonder. Then as you ask a question you'll kind of make us think about that particular task and how we'd approach it.

BlockBuster said:
http://m.homedepot.com/p/The-Magnet-Source-1-4-in-x-1-4-in-x-7-8-in-Ceramic-Block-Magnets-8-Pack-07001/202535610/

I was a little off in size and price. ;) it makes building so much easier and faster.
Wow, that'll save me a crap load of time over using 2 squares on each rib constantly. Gonna pick up 5+ packs this week. Thanks BB.

#9 ·
I use old credit cards for squares. You can cut them in different sizes and that's what I check when tacking ribs etc. Main thing is to pin them down square in the first place! I use good solid hard balsa (like in my MoASS .60 wing pics) to support ribs when I pin them down and it keeps them perfect and not moving. This tip came from Swany.

#10 ·
whtbronco said:
Just pay attention as you build. We all have little things we do differently from others, habits etc that I personally can't remember 'til I'm actually building and even then won't really think about it. Take your time and ask questions anytime you get stuck or simply wonder. Then as you ask a question you'll kind of make us think about that particular task and how we'd approach it.

BlockBuster said:
http://m.homedepot.com/p/The-Magnet-Source-1-4-in-x-1-4-in-x-7-8-in-Ceramic-Block-Magnets-8-Pack-07001/202535610/

I was a little off in size and price. ;) it makes building so much easier and faster.
Wow, that'll save me a crap load of time over using 2 squares on each rib constantly. Gonna pick up 5+ packs this week. Thanks BB.
Seriously! Not quite square ribs have been the bane of my building for a while now (ever since I started building symmetrical airfoil planes)...learned a lot in just this thread. Can't wait to get some of those magnets and make my new primo...well...PRIMO.

#12 ·
ChuckD said:
Are all those blocks made of metal? If so, where did you get them. Seems like a good idea.
Yes, stainless steel. I work industrial maitenance for a frozen food company, and there was this 8' length of 1.5" square stock that accedentally got cut up into 2-1/8" pieces :shock:
I got 30 or 40 of them, and a single 12" length also. They weigh 2# 3oz's each. I thought they could work for building a wing without using the 1/4" balsa pinned to plans, but i think thats still the better idea. They do seem like they will come in handy to make everything square though. Wished they where magnetic though.

#13 ·
GreyEagle said:
What is wrong using your EYEBALL ? Shessheee - Every body have those crazy wandering Marty Fieldman Eye's ?? Like the Hunch Back in Frankenstein ??

Put it on the line, Pull it Plumb - Pin it - GEt em all set 1 st, then go back and look at the wormy ones.

Make a few adjustments as you have several to reference from - They are all loose on the board - just pinned

If you get a wackey spar you can tack it to pull it into place.

Must be on the TWo or three rib's per nite plan ?? Lot of hassle for self confidence
I spent 1 hour or more getting all the ribs in line on the Lam Suk. I still wasn't happy when it was all said and done. My eyes are great...I think...at least according to my AME...still passing the 1st class with no assistance...but for some reason these durn ribs always end up less than perfect.

The planes always fly great, though...so maybe that's all that matters.

#16 ·
Looks like I found this too late.

I build on a hollow door screwed to a folding table with 1/2" lowes FFF foam glued to the top. $40 for everything or less. When I've used the foam up ill rip it off and use new foam. I need to get a large piece of glass to do my cutting on and I'd like to try to build a kit on top of very thin glass. Lay the plans underneath and just lay the parts out on top and then hit all joints with thin ca, pop it loose and its RTC after a light sanding. Problem is finding glass thin enough that it won't distort your view of the plans if your not looking directly down on them from overtop. I HATE the plastic wrap/covering backing/wax paper method. Glue still sticks too it and if you use pins the ca can find a way down through all layers and glue the plastic to the plans an the plans to the table/foam. Which is why you don't have any plans for your slide ;)

Ill let the experts tell you how to go about buildig the big wing. The biggest I've done is 40 size and I'm sure the method is the same but I don't want to steer you wrong here so ill shut up.

#17 ·
m2goofy said:
ChuckD said:
Are all those blocks made of metal? If so, where did you get them. Seems like a good idea.
Yes, stainless steel. I work industrial maitenance for a frozen food company, and there was this 8' length of 1.5" square stock that accedentally got cut up into 2-1/8" pieces :shock:
I got 30 or 40 of them, and a single 12" length also. They weigh 2# 3oz's each. I thought they could work for building a wing without using the 1/4" balsa pinned to plans, but i think thats still the better idea. They do seem like they will come in handy to make everything square though. Wished they where magnetic though.
Man that's an awsome idea!! A modeling company should produce such. 1" perfectly square Farris blocks. Just stick one of each side of a rib and you know it'll stay upright and true and not move easly!

#18 ·
#19 ·
Mchone said:
m2goofy said:
ChuckD said:
Man that's an awsome idea!! A modeling company should produce such. 1" perfectly square Farris blocks. Just stick one of each side of a rib and you know it'll stay upright and true and not move easly!
Shit, you would onky need one of them ferrious, and use a small magnet on the otherside or one like BB posted above.

As for plan protectors, i read a thread here awhile back on using parchment paper instead of wax paper. You can pour CA all over parchment and it just pools up and stays liquid, i think its coated with silicon, and its almost the same price at walmart as wax paper I believe. Gorrila glue doesnt even stick to it.

#21 ·
BlockBuster said:
Goofy, get $20 worth of magnets in a shape of rectangular cubes 1/4"x1/4"x1"from Home Depot. I think they come in a pack of 8 magnets per pack and cost ~$4-$5. Putting wing rib between a pair of those magnets will ensure that you got a perfect 90 degrees angle. And like Flyingilmore said your next build will always be better that the one before, so build, build , build...
This is an awesome tip, thanks for sharing. I've already checked my local HD, in stock and ready for me to get. I wish I saw this yesterday, since I was there yesterday.

Will be awesome to knock out my slide 48.

Thanks again.

#22 ·
sirzepp said:
Where does one get this glorious paper? A craft store?
Walmart. Should be right next to wax paper and aluminum foil. Parchment Paper. I will post a picture of the box when i get home tonight. Its also like 18" wide, not that ***** 12" the wax paper is.

#24 ·
Thanks for the idea. I think some heavy wall 1 1/2 square tubing would do the trick with some flea-market magnets. Been trying to come up with a way to keep everything square while glue dries since I can't use ca anymore.

#26 ·
I just build them like a puzzle. All dry then square everything up. Hit every joint with thin ca then cut the sticks ends off and sand. Done. But with your ca allergy do what ever Fred does. He uses wood glue and I'm thinking about it too. Stronger and more sand able.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.