The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

smokin da butts

56K views 516 replies 60 participants last post by  BalsaDust 
#1 ·
Yup its that time, should be ready for dinner tomorrow evening.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks for the link Prowler. On my butts I start them off at 250-275 for around 2 hours. Then wrap em up tight with some squirt butter and apple juice. then cook at 225 till I get around 195. The bark isn't crunchy but good none the less. I do my ribs much the same way except I unwrap them late to sauce them and let the sauce gel up. Much of my method I learned from trial and error. Thanks again for the link. It explains some of the things I see during the cook. I don't cook in competition, just family and friends. I'm happy to say I haven't killed one yet.
Chuck

#10 ·
yeah, I'm still a hack @ BBQ, but friends and family seem to like what comes outa the pit. I do OK with ribs and butts, still don't have brisket down. The wife decided she wants tri-tip for 4th of July dinner, so I'll only be torturing my neighbors for a couple hrs this afternoon. :D

#14 ·
Hooks, I'm no BBQ chef, but I'm damn good at eatin' it. Hmmm... Ya know, Lake Butler ain't that far from Williston. Just sayin'. :D Happy Fourth and good eatin' to you. :drink: Ya need to come fly with Flightcrazed and me at Santa Fe sometime, it's always a hoot.

#17 ·
I will be putting a 8.5 lb Boston butt on the smoker Sat night sometime for Sunday noon. Also 3 racks of baby backs.

I got a Green Mountain Grill a couple yrs ago. It makes wonderful meats. Love that thing! We are always cooking on it. Smoking. Grilling. Searing, baking. Everything is good. And so easy to use.

#24 ·
I cured it for about 14 days(I lost track, maybe closer to 20), smoked for about 4 hrs at 185-200 until internal temp hit 150. Let it rest in the fridge a couple days. Just picked up a 10" "pro" slicer from Cabelas, sliced it all in about an hour.

Going to head out to the flying field for a little bit, will vacuum bag it up tonight. We bag 2/3 of a pound per bag, it makes more cooked bacon than a pound of store-bought.

#26 ·
I just got done rubbing my meat.

Anyone heard of COF rubs? Chef Of the Future. I used their southwest seasoning.