Dx7. Backup error

This is the place to hang and talk.

Dx7. Backup error

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Anyone every seen a backup error on a dx7? Just beeps and stays on screen.
I let the battery get lo and this what it did,!
chopper
Pro Bro

Re: Dx7. Backup error

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:36 pm

The internal memory battery is dead is my guess.
Hi my name is Dave and im addicted to yaks!
woodnears
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Try this:

1/ All stick need to be in NEUTRAL position (ALL)
2/ Mix-Rudder D/R on 1
3/ Elevator D/R on 1
4/ Flap Mix on 0
5/ Aux2 on 1
6/ Aileron D/R on 0
7/ Presse UP and power ON buttons at same time.
The Argentinian Pro Bro!!!!!!!!!!!

And now proud member of the RMM.
gus
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:47 pm

There is no battery in a dx7,

Also Gus I tried that didn't work
chopper
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:51 pm

BTW did you check the fuse?

gus
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:55 pm

gus wrote:BTW did you check the fuse?

Ya I checked the fuse and it is good, glad I got a new dx7s but I use the old one for front yard foamies
chopper
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:58 pm

Damn, Horizon? :dk:

gus
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:48 pm

Bummer Chopper - sorry to hear that. From what I understand with the type of memory that Spektrum uses, running the battery too low can wipe out the memory - all of your firmware would be gone. The only repair is to send it back to Horizon so that they can burn the firmware back into the internal memory for you. Was your battery completely run down, or just low?
I'm not an asshole....I'm just "give-a-shit" challenged.

Quote from gard72977..."It's great to get away to Nashbro...you know, when you're tired of hanging around normal people."
Hacker Bob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Running battery low doesn't make sense. I have a lipo in my DX-7 and I take it out to charge, sometimes overnight. I have never lost memory. I'd be looking for another problem.

Matt
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
basmntdweller
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 pm

basmntdweller wrote:Running battery low doesn't make sense. I have a lipo in my DX-7 and I take it out to charge, sometimes overnight. I have never lost memory. I'd be looking for another problem.

Matt

It's not a No Power issue, its a Low Power issue.
2-Stroke Freak
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:05 pm

2-Stroke Freak wrote:
basmntdweller wrote:Running battery low doesn't make sense. I have a lipo in my DX-7 and I take it out to charge, sometimes overnight. I have never lost memory. I'd be looking for another problem.

Matt

How can low power affect something that no power doesn't? That doesn't make sense to me. What is lower power than none?

Matt
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
basmntdweller
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Hacker Bob wrote:Bummer Chopper - sorry to hear that. From what I understand with the type of memory that Spektrum uses, running the battery too low can wipe out the memory - all of your firmware would be gone. The only repair is to send it back to Horizon so that they can burn the firmware back into the internal memory for you. Was your battery completely run down, or just low?

I think it's a flash mem

gus
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:18 pm

basmntdweller wrote:
2-Stroke Freak wrote:

Matt

How can low power affect something that no power doesn't? That doesn't make sense to me. What is lower power than none?

Matt

The way it was explained to me was that the DX7 does a save to memory on a normal shutdown that keeps the firmware intact. If you have an extremely low battery the save does not take place correctly and you get corrupted firmware - if your battery goes completely dead while the power switch is on, you lose the firmware because no save takes place. This could be a simplified explanation, but is what was told to me by one of their techs. Either way, the only fix is to send it back to Horizon to have the firmware reset. I'm not 100% privy to the technical aspects of Spektrum's memory configuration, but there are threads all over RC sites about this happening and the only fix has been to send it back to Horizon.

You can remove your battery and change it out without corrupting the firmware because I believe they use NVM memory (like Gus said, a flash memory version) - power is not required to store the firmware once a successful shutdown and save have been completed - the key phrase being successful shutdown and save.

I know this is an issue with the old version DX7 at least, but not sure about all the Spektrum radios.

I did have an issue myself where I had a bad plug on my DX8 battery and power was lost to the radio while the switch was still on. I did not lose my firmware, but lost all binds to my aircraft and had to rebind each one, so I don't know what the difference with the radio designs are other than the DX8 being a newer generation radio - maybe something they fixed?
I'm not an asshole....I'm just "give-a-shit" challenged.

Quote from gard72977..."It's great to get away to Nashbro...you know, when you're tired of hanging around normal people."
Hacker Bob
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:15 am

It happens. Spectrums fault as the original JR 72mhz radio didn't have an internal backup either. It's happened to me twice. If I were able I'd throw it in the trash and get a real 2.4 system. Spektrum sux...I'll just say it. I've flown on it sence it came out and I've lost 7 planes and two radios to their shitty ass technology!

There are two ways you could get lucky and fix it yourself. One way is what Gus said, the other is to reset the memory via entering program mode as "antifinless" on YouTube will show you.

Neither worked for me and even if they had I wouldn't trust flying on it. Just send it back and they should reflash it for free. But your models are all gone.
"Can someone grab my butt?"

"You hesitated"
Mchone, Jake
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:36 am

Yep, I'm gobsmacked at how the engineers who design this stuff never read the tech-notes associated with the devices they include in their designs.

Futaba had this same issue with their first FASST systems which is why the zero GUID problem arose.

What normally happens when you turn off a computer radio is that some of the stuff in temporary memory (RAM) is written to permanent memory (EEPROM or Flash RAM). This process should *never* be interrupted or the data could be corrupted.

Under normal circumstances there's no problem. You turn off the switch and the radio actually remains powered-up until the memory write is complete and *THEN* it actually removes the power. They have what is known as a "soft" power switch.

On the old 9303 you'd see a thin horizontal line on the LCD while the memory was being written during the power-down sequence.

Think of this like the shutdown sequence your computer does when you click on the "turn off" button.

Unfortunately, the idiots who designed some of these older radios (usually the first ones that didn't use battery-backed-up CMOS RAM for the first time), they didn't take into account that one of two things could happen during the memory write process:

1. the battery could die. This might happen if someone turns on their radio when the battery has already been allowed to go flat. In such cases, the battery will usually recover a small amount of its charge while it's turned off so when you turn the radio on it starts up momentarily and, when someone sees it's flat, they turn it off -- but by then, the battery is already exhausted so part-way through the shutdown process, the memory-write is interrupted and the memory is corrupted.

Since the writing of data to permanent memory often causes the processor to draw more current -- the same thing can happen if you simply leave your radio on long enough that it goes flat.

This, or a variation of this, is what usually causes the JR/Spektrum memory corruptions.

2. someone might turn their radio off and then immediately turn it back on again -- before the memory write is complete. If that happens, the reboot that occurs when the power is turned on interrupts the memory write process so again, the data is corrupted. That's what caused the Futaba Zero GUID issue. A dirty power-switch can cause this too (in a poorly designed radio) -- since it might result in the radio turning off and on again very quickly when you flick the switch to off.

There are ways to circumvent both these problems -- which is why the newer radios don't have these problems.

I guess the engineers *eventually* read the product datasheets and design notes.

Sometimes I shudder when I think how dumbassed some of these RC design engineers must be.
xjet
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:40 am

The DX7 is a 2.4 version of JR's 7202. The Spektrum designed radios (everything other than the original DX7) do not have this memory problem.
"Being inconsiderate and scaring CJ's since Independence Day 2007"
WrongWayRC ". . . I went back to the wood . . . "
Mchone, Jake "I wussed out this year. I was too twitterpated . . . "
chumley
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:51 am

Hacker Bob is correct on the diagnosis. This is a known error for the DX7. Just Google it.
kingmeow
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:06 am

Happened to Bro Cpsalto.. He had to send it to Horizon. Never got his plane info back, had to reprogram..
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Straightup
Pro Bro

Return to Pro Bro General Chat