The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Reciever,servo battery capacity

5K views 44 replies 18 participants last post by  c/f 
#1 ·
Hello, I am building a Half Wit designed by Jeremy Chin from plans I found online. It is nitro powered and it will be using 5 HS-55 servos.I am looking to use a LiPo battery. I just dont know what the smallest battery capacity I should use to get 4 or 5 flights out of? Just seeing what you guys think. Thanks

#3 ·
Id think twice about value hobby LIFE's, I've owned several 2500's and an 1800 and they don't charge to full capacity even when new. the 2500's I have now are about a year old don't have more than 20-30 flights on them and there charing to 1650 ma. Buddy RC has some when there in stock, Im not sure they are any better and the zippy 2500 (looks just like the VH 2500) doesn't rate much better IMO weirdly the zippy will show about a 1700 ma charge but when I discharge it it shows about 2000ma

#4 ·
I have heard of some having issues with the Value hobbies Life packs but I'm still yet to have any trouble with them

#6 ·
If you're going to be using electric power, then the ESC will run the HS-55 servos on 5 volts and everything will be fine.

But if you're going to use nitro power, be very cautious about running the HS-55 servos on more than 5 volts. I accidentally burned out several HS-55 servos once trying to setup an electric plane by using a 6.6 volt life plugged directly into the receiver. A direct lipo would fry them even quicker.

#7 ·
McDDD said:
If you're going to be using electric power, then the ESC will run the HS-55 servos on 5 volts and everything will be fine.

But if you're going to use nitro power, be very cautious about running the HS-55 servos on more than 5 volts. I accidentally burned out several HS-55 servos once trying to setup an electric plane by using a 6.6 volt life plugged directly into the receiver. A direct lipo would fry them even quicker.
Can you use a Receiver Lipo for these servos: (Power HD LF-13MG-High-T)? I initially bought one of those voltage regulator thingies(6V) to go between the lipo(2100 receiver 2cell battery from VH) and the receiver but the servos would barely move or there would be huge delays in movement; when I got rid of that thing and plugged the lipo directly in to the receiver they work like a champ. am I asking for inflight failure? I have a tech-aero between the receiver and ignition so I should be OK there.

#9 ·
smallfly said:
Id think twice about value hobby LIFE's, I've owned several 2500's and an 1800 and they don't charge to full capacity even when new. the 2500's I have now are about a year old don't have more than 20-30 flights on them and there charing to 1650 ma. Buddy RC has some when there in stock, Im not sure they are any better and the zippy 2500 (looks just like the VH 2500) doesn't rate much better IMO weirdly the zippy will show about a 1700 ma charge but when I discharge it it shows about 2000ma
Curious how your checking your pack capacity? You would have to do a full discharge/charge cycle. Cappy runs the VH packs and I dont think he has any issues with them.

I dont like the low C rating on them and the small leads on them. Doesn't leave much room on draw for large servos.

#10 ·
I bet Cappy's never cycled a battery in his life :D
and yes Ive just done several charge discharge cycles on my planes with LIFE's to make sure they were still OK, hence the readings. I just bought a red label 2300 from buddy rc that I hope will hold up better for my EF yak

#18 ·
The plane is 29 inch w/s approx 1lb and using a NV .074 engine. I have a 720 2 cell lipo I was going to use as it looks like a good size to fit in the wing. I was not sure if the capacity was going to be enough and I didnt think about the possible voltage issues with these HS-55 servos.

#21 ·
Hansen88 said:
The plane is 29 inch w/s approx 1lb and using a NV .074 engine. I have a 720 2 cell lipo I was going to use as it looks like a good size to fit in the wing. I was not sure if the capacity was going to be enough and I didnt think about the possible voltage issues with these HS-55 servos.
A nitro plane with five HS-55 servos won't use much power per flight. A 300 mah airborne battery would probably last for 10 flights between charges, maybe more.

But you're going to need to reduce the 7.4 volts from the lipo down to about 5 volts in order to keep from burning up the HS-55 servos. Something capable of supplying 5 volts at about 1 amp might work, but a 2 amp supply would be better. This could be done with a dedicated voltage regulator, or even from an ESC where the motor leads wouldn't be used.

#23 ·
BalsaDust said:
Maybe I'm missing something by I don't think I would use hs-55's in a nitro bird.
I would agree--I used 2 HS55's on the 'rons on my first Sabre35; they stripped in less than 5 flights. They don't like long arms/big throws...

Oh, and I use either the 700mah or 1100mah LiFe packs in my 60 size or less birds. Either Value Hobby or Gens Ace LiFe's; I also believe the Glaciers are good too :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.