Servo's Hummmmmming

Radio, Battery and General Electronic discussions.

Re: Servo's Hummmmmming

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:47 pm

Bob Scheppele wrote:Sometimes just the weight of a control surface will cause a digital servo to hum. Try having just one aileron plugged in. If it hums, gently lift the control surface a bit to see if the humming goes away. Typically this type of hum isn't very loud.

Yep. This.
Doug B

To those in the military who serve, both past and present, to defend my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a wonderful life so far.
Doug B
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:53 am

Well, I've tried all sorts of things and then next thing is to hire a band..... They work, but they are loud. I''ll fly it and decide I guess. If the neighbors start bringing out chairs for the show, then I'll replace them.

Thanks for the replies, some analogs will be next!
Home of the Snow-Ass Mojo!
Charter Member of the Snow Bros!
The Pilot formerly known as Yard Dart
A.M.A. 14003

Athol, ID 2017!!! July 21 - 23 Mark your calendars, get your hiney in gear and come on up!
Pro Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:19 am

Post a video. Digitals are loud but overly loud usually means something is wrong. But you can't hear any of that noise in the air anyway.
Sponsored Pilot
JAG
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:09 am

Pro Bro wrote:Well, I've tried all sorts of things and then next thing is to hire a band..... They work, but they are loud. I''ll fly it and decide I guess. If the neighbors start bringing out chairs for the show, then I'll replace them.

Thanks for the replies, some analogs will be next!

Jim, if you had a real engine (nitro) with bcp all of this noise you speak of would go away....just sayin :mrgreen:
RadYaks 42, 57
Psycho 50 :wack:
RadCap 53
Pseudo RY 47
RadBipe

Go to a ProBro....!! Its about the best time EVER!!!! :superhappy:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:48 am

Have you checked to see if the servos are drawing excessive current? Humming wouldn't be of much concern to me if the current draw is normal. If the current draw is excessive then you have a real problem.
3Dreaming
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:32 am

I think Steve's suggestion makes sense. I'll just put a nice 4 stroke on it and start it BEFORE I turn the switch on. Then I'll NEVER hear the swervo's!

I went through everything last week before we left for vacation and the rudder and elevator servo's are pretty quiet. It's the aileron servo's that are making all of the noise. The ailerons are big and the hinges are extremely flexible so the servo is supporting them. One of those seems worse than the other and always makes a noise until I touch it and try to move it slightly and then it will quiet down until I move it again or change the angle of the plane while working on it. I will see if I can get capture a video. I might swap that one for the rudder or elevator servo just to see if it makes a difference.

As far as checking current draw, I can't draw anything! Figuring out one of those meter thingy's and how to attach it to see the draw? Yeesh! I have a digitial voltmeter, that I could wire up and plug into the RX I guess? I don't know how if that would actually show current draw, just voltage I'm guessing. Do I need to plug the red and black leads from the; mysterious yellow box that displays AC-DC (The band?), ohms, volts, amps, etc., I have into an extra servo lead rigged to plug into the RX? What would be excessive? Would AD-DC be too loud? :rockoncool:
Home of the Snow-Ass Mojo!
Charter Member of the Snow Bros!
The Pilot formerly known as Yard Dart
A.M.A. 14003

Athol, ID 2017!!! July 21 - 23 Mark your calendars, get your hiney in gear and come on up!
Pro Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:33 am

If you would think it would be benificial I can make a video showing how to check amperage draw on a servo.
Sponsored Pilot
JAG
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:00 pm

Here is how you check the amperage draw on a servo.
https://youtu.be/AfSiOK3DQWo
Sponsored Pilot
JAG
Pro Bro

Previous

Return to Batteries / Radios / Electronics