F glow plug on OS 55AX

Please post site technical issues and problems here.

Re: F glow plug on OS 55AX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 pm

ThumbSkull wrote:9 out of 10 if a 55AX isn't running right or flames out, it's fuel delivery not the engine.

Well if he have no problem running at high RPM and no problem ideling(I think he might have a high RPMs at iddle as well) and when he is in the air have a flame outs and it happens on a few engines, but the one on Primo, My experience tells me it's bearings. I also assume that I can be wrong, but poping a back plate of the engine is a place to start troubleshooting, me thinks. Of cause it could be a fuel delivery TS.

I just wonder if c_locklair ever changed a bearings?
2-stroke engines are THE MOST ANNOYING THING(<-click on red link ;) )
BlockBuster
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:37 pm

wish it were all that easy. This is a new engine out the box too. Did a good break in, tank pressure is really good, pinch tests are fine high and low. No bubbles low, high or midrange. Anti foaam pickup and filter in line to reduce foam. Little to no vibration. Motor still craps out at half throttle with fuel in the line. Plus it will lean out in the air... The only way that I could get it to run so far at midrange is to richen the bottom till it keep running at mid, but then on the low end it's so fat it blubbers out. This one has a 12x6 apc
Yes, I do mixing with certain models: balsa, monokote, dirt, and grass...and now WATER too!

Silence is Golden...Duct Tape is Silver.

Be careful what you say or you may be the victom of my next avitar.
c_locklair
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:43 pm

and this is with an clean f plug and the stock muffler?

From my experience, a Macs header or one-piece will eliminate flame outs. I had one or two from the engine leaning out in flight, using the stock muff with baffles removed.

I now fly exclusively 2 strokes with headers and cans and have not experienced any problems and enjoy EXCELLENT midrange.

I'm not terribly precise in my tuning and still enjoy great throttle response.

A few other bros are liking this power, as well :rolleye:

13x4 xoar or jxf will improve performance greatly :drunk:
Slide 57/OS 120ax BCP | Bristol 48/OS 55ax DTP | MoAss 40/Saito 82 | Wild Tiger/Saito 56 | Yak 40"/OS 40fp DTP | Mad Yak 40"/OS 40fp DTP| Primo 25/OS 40fp DTP | PBF/OS 40fp DTP | Demon/OS 32 QTP | Ferro/Norvel 25 MCP | Radian
Nitro J.
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Yep J's run very well till the can pops off. :rockoncool:
Last edited by ThumbSkull on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That can't be un-fucked" - Clay @Nash 2012
"© I don't know what your talking about. ®" - Goofy 2014

*Asshole Disclaimer*
If you think you have been offended, please unread this post.
Mike
ThumbSkull
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:48 pm

You just know it's going to happen at Nash, don't you, Muthafukka! :rockon:
Slide 57/OS 120ax BCP | Bristol 48/OS 55ax DTP | MoAss 40/Saito 82 | Wild Tiger/Saito 56 | Yak 40"/OS 40fp DTP | Mad Yak 40"/OS 40fp DTP| Primo 25/OS 40fp DTP | PBF/OS 40fp DTP | Demon/OS 32 QTP | Ferro/Norvel 25 MCP | Radian
Nitro J.
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:05 pm

ok...gotta qualify. I was doing all that with the stock muffler. I do run a13x4 on my Primo... 55 with a crack pipe and is doing well. This new engine was broken in and tune attempted with the stock muffler, but then I put a pitts on it to fit in the cowl of a Stinger II-thats why the 12X6. It still does the same thing...I am close, I may put in another 8 and plug one of the pipes, that was suggested on rc poo with good success. Flip starts pretty easy even cold, got new fuel...I love the top and the bottom, unfortunately I fly the middle.
Yes, I do mixing with certain models: balsa, monokote, dirt, and grass...and now WATER too!

c_locklair
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:11 pm

Got an ax .55 that no workie well?

Shoot me with a pm with your asking price :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
[quote="Zamfir"]I wish I could just put wing pockets in everything!!![/quote]
dookieshoot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:19 pm

dookieshoot wrote:Got an ax .55 that no workie well?

Shoot me with a pm with your asking price :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

180 + plus shipping and it's yours :twisted: :twisted:

c_locklair
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:35 pm

c_locklair wrote:wish it were all that easy. This is a new engine out the box too. Did a good break in, tank pressure is really good, pinch tests are fine high and low. No bubbles low, high or midrange. Anti foaam pickup and filter in line to reduce foam. Little to no vibration. Motor still craps out at half throttle with fuel in the line. Plus it will lean out in the air... The only way that I could get it to run so far at midrange is to richen the bottom till it keep running at mid, but then on the low end it's so fat it blubbers out. This one has a 12x6 apc

It does not matter whether the engine is new out of the box! Glow fuel is highly corrosive, you can get visible signs of rust the very next day. Not to mention stock bearings are just a crappie iron, but don't think that Stainless Still(prefered aftermarket bearings) is a "rust prove" too. It might seems like a lots of work, but taking engine out and visual inspection of a condition of internal components will help to answer many questions including piston and cylinder walls, and replacing bearings if you never did 'em before, sounds like a rocket science, but after 3rd set of bearings its a 10 min job. PM me if you need a guide on how to replace a bearings, its not all that hard. :tu:

The other thing is, put APC 12.25X3.75W prop, just to test how it will run because its a bench mark prop, run tests using this prop(BTW I fly this prop on AX55 stock muffler or pipe), you can run any prop might suit you there after.
BlockBuster
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:46 pm

My experiences with unexpected flameouts on a 55AX have usually been the result of one or more of the following problems.

1. Loosely assembled parts from the factory allowing air leaks. This is especially a problem if the engine is brand new and was taken straight out of the box and mounted on the plane. The older OS engines never had this problem, but all of the new AX series engines have proven to be notorious for loosely assembled parts from the factory.
A. Loose head bolts.
B. Loose backplate bolts.
C. Loose carb mounting screws.
D. Loose needle valve base.
E. Loose fuel inlet nipple.
Simply tightening these five items usually cures most of the unexpected flameouts. Don't forget the fuel inlet nipple.

2. Using a plug other than an OS F.

3. Not installing a fuel tubing seal between the needle valve and the needle valve base.

4. Broken or loose mounting bolts.

5. Broken, loose, or flimsy engine mounts on the airframe.

6. Holes or cracks in the fuel lines.
:hover: McDDD #415

˙ʇᴉ op oʇ ʍoɥ ʇno ǝɹnƃᴉɟ ʇ,uɐɔ I ʇnq 'looɔ sʞool ʇxǝʇ spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpᴉsd∩
McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:00 pm

True Dave, one head bolt was completely loose out of the box. I'll take it off the plane and break it down to look at it. I am getting a little black goo where the pitts meets the exhaust too, can't get it any tighter. Can you use a little gaskicinch there or some other sealant? I'll tighten everything down good, when I put it back together. I'll do that over the weekend and give a report. Dave, do you think I should plug one pitts pipe or not? Again my avitar thanks you.

c_locklair
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:09 pm

c_locklair wrote:ok...gotta qualify. I was doing all that with the stock muffler. I do run a13x4 on my Primo... 55 with a crack pipe and is doing well. This new engine was broken in and tune attempted with the stock muffler, but then I put a pitts on it to fit in the cowl of a Stinger II-thats why the 12X6. It still does the same thing...I am close, I may put in another 8 and plug one of the pipes, that was suggested on rc poo with good success. Flip starts pretty easy even cold, got new fuel...I love the top and the bottom, unfortunately I fly the middle.

Did not see this post before posting my answer. See McDDD's posting he pretty much covered all of the basics, and as I said it would not hirt if you take a back plate out, and see inside of your engine, though I understand its a major PITA putting Stinger II apart, but if you wanna reliable runing engine, there is no way around it.
BlockBuster
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:19 pm

c_locklair wrote: Dave, do you think I should plug one pitts pipe or not? Again my avitar thanks you.

:lol: Dave is not the only one here who experimented with exaust pipes...
BlockBuster
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:27 pm

I was having a heck of a problem this past spring with mine and decided to replace the bearings. When I took the engine apart I noticed the piston and cylinder wall scratched up on the exhaust side. I have read where the clyinder will tilt toward the exhaust side with lean runs. I guess that's what happened. Anyway, replaced the bearings, piston and sleeve and added a Macs 6720 muffler with an F plug. This this purrrsss like a kitten and fricken transitions great. Wide open the plane is out of site in seconds. It's an awesome fix. My favorite engine now. Oh ya and an APC 13x4 prop
Last edited by flyboy1958 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
74" Extreme Flight YAK54 OS160FX
MoAss 60 Saito 100
Mojo 40 OS55AX
(2) Primo 40's OS55AX on both
Primo 40 in the bones
Primo 40 in the box
Sabre 47 G40
LamYak 40 in the box
Super Stearman G26
3DHS Extra 330SC A10-9L
TufFlight Bouncer A30-28SV2
flyboy1958
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:28 pm

c_locklair wrote:True Dave, one head bolt was completely loose out of the box. I'll take it off the plane and break it down to look at it. I am getting a little black goo where the pitts meets the exhaust too, can't get it any tighter. Can you use a little gaskicinch there or some other sealant? I'll tighten everything down good, when I put it back together. I'll do that over the weekend and give a report. Dave, do you think I should plug one pitts pipe or not? Again my avitar thanks you.

If one head bolt was that loose, then I'm betting there are lots of other loose parts on that engine too.

Black goo almost always means metal is wearing against metal. Some high temp RTV or silicone between the engine and the pitts muffler should cure the problem.

Most pitts mufflers don't produce enough backpressure, so the high speed needle ends up being opened a lot to compensate for the lack of muffler pressure. In a vertical climb the engine goes lean, and in a vertical dive the engine goes rich. At half throttle it's even worse. The 55AX won't stay running if the mixture gets too lean or too rich, and having the needle too far open only aggravates the problem.

To find out for sure if the pitts muffler exhaust tubes need to be pinched down or plugged, first run the engine with the stock muffler and set the high speed needle valve, then count exactly how many turns open the needle needs to be. Remove the stock muffler and install the pitts muffler. Pinch down or plug the exhaust tubes until the high speed needle ends up open the same amount as with the stock muffler.

Nice avatar! :tu: I always keep the avatars turned off, so that's the first time I'd seen it.

McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Yeah, Pitts mufflers on two strokes are notoriously bad in the mid-range especially untill you restrict nearly half the exit tubes.

*Asshole Disclaimer*
Mike
ThumbSkull
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:10 pm

McDDD wrote:
To find out for sure if the pitts muffler exhaust tubes need to be pinched down or plugged, first run the engine with the stock muffler and set the high speed needle valve, then count exactly how many turns open the needle needs to be. Remove the stock muffler and install the pitts muffler. Pinch down or plug the exhaust tubes until the high speed needle ends up open the same amount as with the stock muffler.

Nice avatar! :tu: I always keep the avatars turned off, so that's the first time I'd seen it.

There is a better way to do it, other then a pinching down exhaust tube on a muffler. :wink:
BlockBuster
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:16 pm

BlockBuster wrote:
McDDD wrote:

There is a better way to do it, other then a pinching down exhaust tube on a muffler. :wink:

OK, I'll bite. How?

McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:33 pm

McDDD wrote:
BlockBuster wrote:
McDDD wrote:

OK, I'll bite. How?

Nyet!
Для меня, чтобы знать, и вы это выяснить.

*Asshole Disclaimer*
Mike
ThumbSkull
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Thought I was going to learn something new from B.B. I'm still waiting.....
John Wells
Pro Bro

PreviousNext

Return to Site Help