Still having decision troubles

Please post site technical issues and problems here.

Re: Still having decision troubles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks Dave, you are a very nice guy.

I appreciate a lot your time, patience and expertise...

You, as i tell you some time ago, are one of the most awesome 3d profile flyers out there...

Sincerely
Rafael Marmolejo

McDDD wrote:I can understand wanting to use a glow engine instead of E-power. I feel the same way. There is something about the sound of the engine and the smell of the exhaust that adds to the enjoyment of flying that the electric planes simply can't match.

If maximum 3D performance is your goal, then electric power is really your only choice at 8700 feet.......period.

If glow power is your goal, and you are willing to settle for less than maximum 3D performance, then a 55AX or a YS 70 are your two best options. You should still have enough power for 3D flying, but the plane will probably feel underpowered most of the time. The 65AX will be more powerful, but the extra weight of that engine will kill the 3D flying capabilities of the plane itself.
Last edited by rafaxddd on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rafaxddd
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:30 pm

rafaxddd wrote:You, as i tell you some time ago, are one of the most awesome 3d profile flyers out there...

Sincerely
Rafael Marmolejo

Yes he certainly is.
If You MUST Burn The American Flag Please INHALE DEEPLY After It's Lit
whtbronco
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Could a glow motor be modified for high altitude flying? Does changing the compression or nitro percentage help/hurt?
My favorite maneuver... The Walk Of Shame.
iceman1
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:00 am

A.D.3D wrote:Man, that 55ax is a monster. The others will probally outperform it...at leas the ys, but seriosily the 55 will be fine (and ALOT cheaper). I flew a 4lb 11oz Slide at around 5000' ASL (Doinkedit - that thing rocks) and it was not at all lacking in power, it did have a MCP on it, but those are cheap to build

I've flown that Slide :tu:

The OS 55 is oustanding with a Macs one-piece black muffler :mrgreen:

with a Macs header and 8.5oz can muffler, it's borderline orgasmic :rockon:

I'm no expert, but this is how easy it is to build one:
photo (24).JPG
clean the ends with acetone

photo (25).JPG
getting a good seal with the silicone coupler is vital

photo (26).JPG
Liquid hairspray (pump spray) helps everything stick - dookieshoot tip

photo (27).JPG
I like to drill and tap the header for the pressure nipple near the exhaust port

and here's what it looks like on a 4.4 lb Sbach 45:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zy4lM53 ... e=youtu.be
Slide 57/OS 120ax BCP | Bristol 48/OS 55ax DTP | MoAss 40/Saito 82 | Wild Tiger/Saito 56 | Yak 40"/OS 40fp DTP | Mad Yak 40"/OS 40fp DTP| Primo 25/OS 40fp DTP | PBF/OS 40fp DTP | Demon/OS 32 QTP
Nitro J.
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:11 am

Here's a crude formula for calculating horsepower loss versus altitude.
(altitude in feet, hp rated at sea level)

Horsepower loss = (Altitude x 0.03 x hp) / 1000

Using this formula, an OS 55AX is rated at 1.68 hp at sea level. So at an altitude of 8700 feet, the horsepower loss works out to be about .44 hp. So a 55AX at 8700 feet would be derated to 1.24 hp.

For comparison, a Thunder Tiger Pro 40 (not 46) is rated at 1.22 hp. So flying 3D with a 55AX at 8700 feet would feel like flying 3D with the same plane at sea level with a TT Pro 40. Still possible, but seriously lacking in performance.
:hover: McDDD #415

˙ʇᴉ op oʇ ʍoɥ ʇno ǝɹnƃᴉɟ ʇ,uɐɔ I ʇnq 'looɔ sʞool ʇxǝʇ spɹɐʍʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpᴉsd∩
McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Ok, so what could be or what happens with YS FZ-70S at the same altitude?
Thanks Dave

What do you think Dave?

McDDD wrote:I can understand wanting to use a glow engine instead of E-power. I feel the same way. There is something about the sound of the engine and the smell of the exhaust that adds to the enjoyment of flying that the electric planes simply can't match.

If maximum 3D performance is your goal, then electric power is really your only choice at 8700 feet.......period.

If glow power is your goal, and you are willing to settle for less than maximum 3D performance, then a 55AX or a YS 70 are your two best options. You should still have enough power for 3D flying, but the plane will probably feel underpowered most of the time. The 65AX will be more powerful, but the extra weight of that engine will kill the 3D flying capabilities of the plane itself.
rafaxddd
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:11 pm

I´ve been, once again, trying to decide between YS-70 or 55AX, because i want to buy two of them, and as you probably know YS are pretty expensive...

Help, please...
rafaxddd
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:21 pm

The 55AX and the YS 70 have similar power, so they will also have a similar power loss at your high altitude.

Probably the biggest advantage of the 55AX is that you can gain some power by replacing the stock mufffler with either a Macs muffler or a Coke Can Pipe.

McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Hello Dave, i appreciate a lot your help.

If you had some money and if you wanted to spend that money to buy an engine, what engine you choose between OS 55AX and YS FZ70s?

And finally, in Mexico we don´t have Coke Bottles like the one shown above (even mouse pipes are straight), we only have common, standard aluminium bottles (straight pipes).

So somebody could explainme how to do this Coke Can Pipes you mention?

Dave, could you please put some pictures of one of your Profiles with a 55AX to see how is a Coke Can Pipe?

Thanks to all, specially to Dave.

RafaxDDD

McDDD wrote:The 55AX and the YS 70 have similar power, so they will also have a similar power loss at your high altitude.

Probably the biggest advantage of the 55AX is that you can gain some power by replacing the stock mufffler with either a Macs muffler or a Coke Can Pipe.
rafaxddd
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:58 pm

I've heard of a Slide 48 coming out to CoBro, (About 6500 ASL) and rocking power with a 2 stroke on a can ( coke can, or mouse can muffler)

I'm trying to confirm it, because I was gone for that particular instance of the weekend and every other 2s I've seen has been a dog.
ProBro# 2836
"That's what the cock ring is for" (Prowler)
3dRookie
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:03 pm

3dRookie wrote:I've heard of a Slide 48 coming out to CoBro, (About 6500 ASL) and rocking power with a 2 stroke on a can ( coke can, or mouse can muffler)

I'm trying to confirm it, because I was gone for that particular instance of the weekend and every other 2s I've seen has been a dog.

She had a little less punch on the spool up then a new vh g32 on 4s but after it got going she would stay right there. I WILL be putting my 55ax on my slide.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32469
Reality does not owe us comfort.

"I can fly better than I can talk. I articulate my maneuvers precisely. Words, not so much". - mfeuilly
nitrofevr
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:36 pm

What model is a Slide 48?

I don´t know this model....

nitrofevr wrote:
3dRookie wrote:I've heard of a Slide 48 coming out to CoBro, (About 6500 ASL) and rocking power with a 2 stroke on a can ( coke can, or mouse can muffler)

She had a little less punch on the spool up then a new vh g32 on 4s but after it got going she would stay right there. I WILL be putting my 55ax on my slide.
rafaxddd
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:42 pm

rafaxddd wrote:What model is a Slide 48?

I don´t know this model....

Back Slider designed these slabs. He and Frisbee kit them. :tu: Oh my they fly well :drunk:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30029
Slide 57/OS 120ax BCP | Bristol 48/OS 55ax DTP | MoAss 40/Saito 82 | Wild Tiger/Saito 56 | Yak 40"/OS 40fp DTP | Mad Yak 40"/OS 40fp DTP| Primo 25/OS 40fp DTP | PBF/OS 40fp DTP | Demon/OS 32 QTP
Nitro J.
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:15 am

rafaxddd wrote:If you had some money and if you wanted to spend that money to buy an engine, what engine you choose between OS 55AX and YS FZ70s?

I have six "40 size" profile planes that are actively flown. All of them have OS 55AX engines. I've never owned a YS engine.

Dave, could you please put some pictures of one of your Profiles with a 55AX to see how is a Coke Can Pipe?

Here's the thread on how to build a CCP (Coke Can Pipe). There are photos of my planes with the CCP in the thread.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25582

McDDD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:23 am

I´ll be sincere i like YS70 sound, look, etc. His low weight...

But is YS FZ70s really so powerful such that his higher price really worthwhile? or is equal to a 55AX...

In Mexico, does´nt have YS at any club (that i could remember)...but i could buy through amain...

Thanks for any advice...

McDDD wrote:
rafaxddd wrote:If you had some money and if you wanted to spend that money to buy an engine, what engine you choose between OS 55AX and YS FZ70s?

I have six "40 size" profile planes that are actively flown. All of them have OS 55AX engines. I've never owned a YS engine.

Here's the thread on how to build a CCP (Coke Can Pipe). There are photos of my planes with the CCP in the thread.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25582
rafaxddd
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:43 am

The ys is supercharged so May do better and have less power loss at high altitude. I was unable to confirm this as my ys 1.10 powered yak crashed shortly after takeoff at cobro.
RIP Duke, Daddy loves you ALWAYS!
Thumbskull "Wulfie is the Liberace of ProBro's". RIP John, you are missed Brother.
Mchone Jake. "My gym teacher touched me! I didn't mind it"!
Evan Shadix. "wish apc had a trade in program"!
rcaircraftnut
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:50 am

Nut beat me to it, but here was my reply anyhow.

Is the YS 70FZ-S really and truly supercharged? If it is then the crankcase pressure should be increased and thus lose less power at higher altitudes compared to naturally aspirated engines. If it is simply more of a fuel pump then I suggest the 55AX will be similar in power to the YS.

At the altitudes most of us fly at, near sea level, I could not justify the expense of the YS compared to the OS.
If You MUST Burn The American Flag Please INHALE DEEPLY After It's Lit
whtbronco
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:04 am

In my industry, we have to account for power loss due to elevation on super charged and turbocharged engines. It is a vital function in calculating the right compressor and engine for all natural gas compression around here @ over a mile asl.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32469
Reality does not owe us comfort.

"I can fly better than I can talk. I articulate my maneuvers precisely. Words, not so much". - mfeuilly
nitrofevr
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:35 am

What do you think guys about Macs muffler on 55AX for a 40 size profile?

Thanks
rafaxddd
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:40 am

The Macs muffler is better than the stock muffler, and the CCP is better than the Macs muffler.

McDDD
Pro Bro

PreviousNext

Return to Site Help