The Profile Brotherhood RC Forum banner

Ya, just another new guy

4K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  RayJ 
#1 ·
Hello to you all. I stumbled across this forum last night while I was reading about a million posts on another forum about the UcanDo and FuntanaX50. I had kinda made up my mind that these were the two planes that would most sute my purpose of learning 3D. After hours of reading someone who had just had his 6th UcanDo come apart on him mentioned the Mojo and then said good by. I went to his link on the Mojo and a hole new world opened up in front of me. What is this profile s... So I started searching and found this site. First of all you guys are having way to much fun. I started flying RC back in 1958 and have spent my time doing pattern and turnaround until I got busy with horses and kinda fell away from the hobby. A year and a half ago I put together a hanger 9 Cub and started in again. Next I built a pattern plane and have been flying as often as I could. 3D was not even something I gave any thought to. It seemed to me it was just a bunch of nuts making airplanes do something that airplanes just don't do in reality. Of course I had never seen it actualy happen but I'm old and set in my ways so that was that.
Well a couple of months ago the local club here had a 3 day warbirds flyin and I went out to there field to see what was up. Nice field, paved runway, large grass area, beautiful planes and a 3D demo that just blew my socks off. Huge Edge and Bipe of some sort flying at walking speed doing the most outrages moves I have ever seen. Well nuff said. The first thing I did was join the club. All I had to do was demonstrate my flying abilities and pay the dues and I was in. Great. I decided that my old radios were not up the the task of 3D so I ordered a new radio last week and am now trying to figure out what plane to get. The two mentioned above seemed to me to be the way to go until I discovered this site and the links I have found in the last 24 hours. I have a great running Super Tiger 46 that I want to use for my first endevers in this relm as I have a very limited budjet and when I get around to a 4 stroke it will be the only one I get so I want to hold off on that for a while. I also don't have any space to build as I am still living in my RV which I used to travel around training horses. I am retired from that now but can't quite bring myself to give up this freedom of being able to get up and go when I want to. So, my question is are there any good profile ARF's for my 46. I also have a ASP61 sitting around doing nothing. I don't like crashing planes but if thats what it takes to get to where I want to go so be it. I also believe there is more to 3D then hovering. I want to learn it all. Holy smokes, I guess I got a little long-winded, sorry about that. Just looking to use your experience to get me going.

Take care

Tom

See less See more
#27 ·
ryan_m said:
Blackbeer... was that Yak red, blue, and purple colored? Was the company Performance Aircraft Unlimited (formerly BME)?
This one:
http://www.bmeaircraft.com/html/yak54/yak54.html

If so a guy at our field has one of those too and they look like they fly damn nice. I will definitely be getting one when I finally manage to kill my Hangar 9 Extra 260 27%'er.

Welcome to the 'hood... as for the Mojo ARF's, I think you asked if they will really be available soon, last I remember reading about them they were already here (from China) and awaiting to clear customs. So sounds like they will be soon available!
I have that same plane under the name Rich Model who from what I understand is the manufacturer. I bought it for a song ($425.00) under that name. Great flying plane you will love it.

#28 ·
Yep Ryan thats the one. Ken is his name. He was at it again today. Two days of perfect flying weather here in rain land. He said they also make a smaller Cap that is perfect for the Saito 100 Which I just bought for a hundred and 80 bucks at RC Universe. By the way thanks Eric for the info I didn't know about the discount. Damn. Oh well this one will at least be broken in, (right I hope). Anyway the Yak flys like a dream. He has a 50cc DA in it and I don't think he ever gets it above half throtle or 50 feet high for that matter. A thing of beauty to watch. He also told me he would give me a hell of a deal on a Cap if I decide I want one. So just another magical day here in the good old Pacific Northwest. I know I should order that Mojo but I sure like the looks of that 40 size Fussion :shock: not to mention the price. I wanted to have my mind made up by tomorrow so I could get what ever it is I'm going to get firmed up and on its way. Jeez I'm so easily swayed..........

Take care;

Tom

#29 ·
that's easy... buy both... rofl... you'll end up flying one much more than the other.... & it will give ya an extra set of gear to set up your "spare" plane with if ya decide to sell one of them (or re-kit it). Best way to gaurantee you will break a 3d airplane is to have only 1...

#30 ·
I believe you could be right Scot, I just went over to the web site for Performance to look at the Cap and I am going to get one. Just got an email about the Saito 100 and it is on its way so tomorrow I'll order a slab and that will give me two. How sweet it is.

Tom

#32 ·
blackbeer said:
I know I should order that Mojo but I sure like the looks of that 40 size Fussion :shock: not to mention the price. I wanted to have my mind made up by tomorrow so I could get what ever it is I'm going to get firmed up and on its way. Jeez I'm so easily swayed..........

Take care;

Tom
For what it's worth, I love my Fusion but it's no 3D trainer. That would be near the bottom of the list as far as Bro approved planes for first time 3Ders. Mojo, you'll never regret it!!!!!

Matt

#33 ·
Hey Casey, I'm just north of Bellingham, WA. I was training horses in your area just north of Spokane. Spent a few years there but it is just the wrong side of the mountains. I spent too many winters their with a team of horses in my froozen hands taking drunks on sliege rides. And way to hot in the summer. And ya basmntdweller I hear you. I'm ordering a Mojo kit tomorrow. I'll just have to move some motorcycles and bullet loading gear around in the shop and build it in there.

Take care;

Tom

#34 ·
Welcome! You won't be dissapointed in the Mojo! It's one hell of a 3D machine. You can destroy one, but it takes some doin'. At the Memphis Pro-Bro somebody knocked the wing off one and just used cardboard and duct tape to get it flying again....

#36 ·
Welcome Tom

Mojo is a good choice.

Your horse training is interesting to me also. My wife collects Horses. She Also shows AQHA, going to a show this weekend while I'm at Nashbro.

Here is a photo of my Horse (I sorta quit showing)

Attachments

#37 ·
Thats a beautiful cridder. He would just about fit in the hip pocket of most of the horses I have worked with. I mostly worked with Draft horses until a few years ago when I got into starting colts. If I had it to do over thats what I would have done. Starting colts was magic to me. I learned so much from them. A few months ago I finaly had to retire on disability, (good old agent Orange finaly cought up to me) and I just sold my horse as I just couldn't find a place over here for him and me to live. He is a quarter horse Pert cross. Big strong and just a hell of a nice guy. This is the first time in many years that horses haven't been a part of my life. I may not servive it. Working with these guys was all I did, every thought in my head revolved around understanding them and working with them. Oh well, we will see what we will see. I think maybe thats why I have gotten back into flying, just to take my mind off horses. Don't think it will work though.

Take care

Tom

#38 ·
Holy smokes fuelman what a trip. Just checked out the TufFlight site. Do people realy learn 3D that close to the ground? Guess I will have to learn a hole new way of thinking. I was talking to Ken yesterday, the guy with the 50cc Yak, and he told me the first thing I would have to do would be to forget about all the presision stuff I was doing with my pattern plane. And think left thumb. I'm begining to see what he ment. Anyone else ever play with one of these tufflight 4D's? Interesting concept.

Tom

#39 ·
blackbeer said:
Holy smokes fuelman what a trip. Just checked out the TufFlight site. Do people realy learn 3D that close to the ground? Guess I will have to learn a hole new way of thinking. I was talking to Ken yesterday, the guy with the 50cc Yak, and he told me the first thing I would have to do would be to forget about all the presision stuff I was doing with my pattern plane. And think left thumb. I'm begining to see what he ment. Anyone else ever play with one of these tufflight 4D's? Interesting concept.

Tom
At the first probro I went to it was at an asphalt field. I saw one go in nose first, wide open....30 minutes later it was flying again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.