My new Sabre 35 flew like crap

All electric, all good.

Re: My new Sabre 35 flew like crap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:34 am

Dr Constrictor wrote:My sabre flies like shit too.

I Love mine!
Currently on number three. My strategy is to buy them two at a time.
Been trying to kill this last one so I can get a new one.
Did about 9 knife edge touch and goes (6 included the go part) over the course of about two days and its still flying!
Toughest lightest plane Ive ever owned!
At least you know how to hit hard!! :lol:
randomando
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:42 pm

I built a Sabre with a G32 and it flies fine for take off and general flying BUT when slowing it down for landing it balloons up and does not do a normal glide down for landing. The CG is correct according to the build document and I have tried adding nose weight which just makes it worse. I have another plane that does the same thing and I played with the CG on that one as well but neither wants to land. I have a feeling that the solution for this is simple but beyond my imagination. [What to do, Where to go]. Help wanted please.
crobar
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:52 pm

crobar wrote:I built a Sabre with a G32 and it flies fine for take off and general flying BUT when slowing it down for landing it balloons up and does not do a normal glide down for landing. The CG is correct according to the build document and I have tried adding nose weight which just makes it worse. I have another plane that does the same thing and I played with the CG on that one as well but neither wants to land. I have a feeling that the solution for this is simple but beyond my imagination. [What to do, Where to go]. Help wanted please.

Just harrier it in, or hover to a catch. No ballon issues :drink:
RadYaks 42, 57
Psycho 50 :wack:
RadCap 53
Pseudo RY 47
RadBipe

Go to a ProBro....!! Its about the best time EVER!!!! :superhappy:
West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:29 pm

WCB and Johnnashville like tail heavy planes--they will just about harrier themselves ;) Both my Sabre 35 and 47 I have set up to fly level inverted, or with just a hint of a push of down elevator. Neither one is hard to land, but probably actually like a bit of harrier style landing, just like WCB said.

Roll yours inverted at about 1/2--3/4 throttle, level flite. Does it fly level, dive, or climb? Noseheavy if it dives, tailheavy if it climbs. If it'll do an outside loop from inverted flite, it's perfect for WCB ;o These slabs are pretty forgiving; just set it up how you prefer it to fly :)
3D wannabe

"Well, you can't scale down the air molecules that it's flying on,... so keep that in mind." 3dRookie
"Takes a day to learn and a lifetime to master, always something new to learn or refine" AD3D
(3D, DLG or cunnilingus?)
wyo69cowboy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:59 pm

crobar wrote:I built a Sabre with a G32 and it flies fine for take off and general flying BUT when slowing it down for landing it balloons up and does not do a normal glide down for landing. The CG is correct according to the build document and I have tried adding nose weight which just makes it worse. I have another plane that does the same thing and I played with the CG on that one as well but neither wants to land. I have a feeling that the solution for this is simple but beyond my imagination. [What to do, Where to go]. Help wanted please.

Are you new to profiles? I don't want to tell you something you already know if you been flying slabs for a while but slabs don't tend to glide in and land like the typical sport plane and trainer. You do have to make a slower approach with a nose high attitude higher than you'd typically flair a sport plane. With slabs you don't really have to flair and no power is needed right before touchdown. Maybe your carrying a little too much speed and then flailing like you would a normal plane which would make it balloon. Slabs just tend to fly until stall and then sink in. Try for a gradual decent in a 3 point touchdown attitude rather than driving it toward the ground in a 2 point configuration with a flair at the end.

How is your motor thrust angle? Do you have a lot of elevator trim?
You should set the motor up for 0 to 2* down and right thrust. I typically use no down thrust and slight right thrust on E birds sense they have a bigger prop than nitro.

I do as wyo said and don't actually trim the elevator, I set it level and adjust the cg for strait and level flight at half throttle upright or inverted. This is called 3D neutral. Some think it's tail heavy but it's actually perfectly balanced.
Also check your ailerons for any reflex or camber (reflex being up and camber being down in relation to the wing chord line)

Video would also help us see what it and you are doing.
WrongRudderR/C

Gayjo40 / Yak47 / WhoreHawk63 / Fusion67 / LamSuk46 / UL MXS35 / UL Slick35 / EE25 / LRC MiniPBF / Razoryak67-RTC / Moass60-Needs TLC / EE60-RTC / GlitterJR-Cut / BigTiddyGlitter-Cut
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:27 pm

The problem might be you're motor is too heavy, 7 1/2 oz. then you obviously had to add tail weight to balance. Then add the weight of the heavier battery and esc for G32. Much too heavy for this size plane. You were talking about the Sabre 35 and not the Sabre 47 weren't you?
An erection is a terrible thing to waste
ChuckD
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:39 am

I really think he's talking about a 47. You'd have to cut the nose clean off to get a g32 on a 35 and it sure wouldn't have a ballooning tendency when over weight. It would drop like a rock.
WrongRudderR/C

Gayjo40 / Yak47 / WhoreHawk63 / Fusion67 / LamSuk46 / UL MXS35 / UL Slick35 / EE25 / LRC MiniPBF / Razoryak67-RTC / Moass60-Needs TLC / EE60-RTC / GlitterJR-Cut / BigTiddyGlitter-Cut
WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:25 pm

For clarification it is a 47" Sabre with the G32 motor. The thrust angle could very well be the problem. I don't know how to measure it so it is just a butt pull by looking for some downward angle. Is there a simple way to measure the 2 degrees?
crobar
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:05 pm

I just hold the plane level, turn the prop vertical and eyeball it but you could bolt on a piece of wood and put a level on it.
WrongRudderR/C

WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 pm

crobar wrote:For clarification it is a 47" Sabre with the G32 motor. The thrust angle could very well be the problem. I don't know how to measure it so it is just a butt pull by looking for some downward angle. Is there a simple way to measure the 2 degrees?

That made me laugh out loud :lol:
RadYaks 42, 57
RadCap 53
Pseudo RY 47
RadBipe

West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:00 am

crobar wrote:For clarification it is a 47" Sabre with the G32 motor. The thrust angle could very well be the problem. I don't know how to measure it so it is just a butt pull by looking for some downward angle. Is there a simple way to measure the 2 degrees?

Make it 0º down and 0º right. Problem solved. Symmetrical wings don't want down angle and slabs have rudders that are used more than for taxiing, so there you go. I have one of these with a G32 and it takes a little rudder if you hammered the throttle, but overall was a great flyer.
"That can't be un-fucked" - Clay @Nash 2012
"© I don't know what your talking about. ®" - Goofy 2014

*Asshole Disclaimer*
If you think you have been offended, please unread this post.
Mike
ThumbSkull
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:01 am

ThumbSkull wrote:

Make it 0º down and 0º right. Problem solved. Symmetrical wings don't want down angle and slabs have rudders that are used more than for taxiing, so there you go.

BUt what about the Butt Pull :dk: :mrgreen:
RadYaks 42, 57
RadCap 53
Pseudo RY 47
RadBipe

West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:11 am

WCB, you Californians seem the only ones concerned with butt pull. I guess I'd recommend some type of plug, butt I have no experience with those...
"That can't be un-fucked" - Clay @Nash 2012
"© I don't know what your talking about. ®" - Goofy 2014

*Asshole Disclaimer*
If you think you have been offended, please unread this post.
Mike
ThumbSkull
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:26 am

Where's goofy or Evan? I'm sure they could help you out, Steve.
WrongRudderR/C

WoodPilot
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:39 pm

ThumbSkull wrote:WCB, you Californians seem the only ones concerned with butt pull. I guess I'd recommend some type of plug, butt I have no experience with those...

Cmon now, cut me some slack, Im not even a left winger, even though I live in Libtardia :mrgreen:
RadYaks 42, 57
RadCap 53
Pseudo RY 47
RadBipe

West Coast Bro
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:58 pm

your no a left'y. bummer

si vis pacem para bellum!!!
Black Guns Matter
Tarzan
I don't care who you are if your flying euro or tray radio style with your hands hovering free above the transmitter and holding the sticks from the top pinching. Your not into women...
IRON MAN
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:59 am

Added some down thrust and larger battery. Definitely helped. Thanks for the help.
crobar
Pro Bro

Previous

Return to Electric, The ProBro Way