Issues with My VH Slick

All electric, all good.

Re: Issues with My VH Slick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:22 am

McDDD wrote:
JAG wrote:Well the issues was not the ESC. Come to find out it is the batteries. They all have an average of around 25 cycles on them.

This is the battery they are : http://www.valuehobby.com/30c-500mah-3s-jst.html

What is typical as far as cycle count on a battery?

I've had some of those batteries fade out too. The loss of power seems to be more related to the age of the battery than how many charge cycles. Mine only lasted about a year and an half before the top end power faded away, even though the checker still showed them to be fully charged.

I think I just got a crappy batch of batteries. These didn't even last a flying season. I have over 140 flights on my VH slick, but that is between the 5 packs.
Sponsored Pilot
JAG
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:25 am

As far as my timer, I set it for worst case and flip the switch when I take off. Like I said it is never below 11.1 when I land and it settles out. Its usually higher than that. I'm not one to fly until the power is gone like most of the guys at the field I see. I think I take very good care of my packs. I have some 3s 2200's that I have had for 3 years with a crazy number of cycles on them and they are still pulling strong.

I think this may have been a bad batch.
Sponsored Pilot
JAG
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:56 am

11.1 is good,

Flying till you lose power drives me nuts, and destroys packs.

I've not been overly impressed with gforce bats in general, ir tend to be iffy and overated mAh. And I had a batch of 3 that lasted maybe 25cycles

I know a lot of ppl here love them for the weight but weight for a given mAh usually equals more durability
Hi my name is DorkitDan, may I fly your plane please ;)
dhooks
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:03 am

JAG wrote:As far as my timer, I set it for worst case and flip the switch when I take off. Like I said it is never below 11.1 when I land and it settles out.

I think this may have been a bad batch.

Here is the "thing" about 11.1 volts - it's actually equates to full charge. You are most likely already discharged your individual cell much lower without knowing it. Low discharge rate battery might rebound back to almost a full charge because chemical reaction happens so slow, while on high discharge rate batts once it's gone flat it will stay flat. So the only way to see what happening to low discharge battery is to measure each individual cell real time and under load(with the motor running), and not some time later after it had a chance to recover. Bottom line ideally telemetry will monitor and alarm each individual cell, without it proper cut off voltage is the next best thing, but like I mentioned ESC is a combined voltage, and if battery pack is unbalanced(where in one cell is significantly weaker then the rest of the cells in the pack) you will still be ruining it down without been aware of it.
2-stroke engines are THE MOST ANNOYING THING(<-click on red link ;) )
BlockBuster
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Anyone have any experience with Gens Ace or Tattu packs?
Sponsored Pilot
JAG
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:24 am

cf does and I have a little. Good in general.
"That can't be un-fucked" - Clay @Nash 2012
"© I don't know what your talking about. ®" - Goofy 2014

*Asshole Disclaimer*
If you think you have been offended, please unread this post.
Mike
ThumbSkull
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:57 am

How about the glacier's from buddyrc they any good
smallfly
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:50 am

I'm picking up a few Gens Ace 450 and 800 3s to try on my VH Slick.
And a Tattu 1300 3s for my slick 360-35.

Hope these last longer than the VH packs.
Sponsored Pilot
JAG
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:58 am

smallfly wrote:How about the glacier's from buddyrc they any good

there are a couple LONG threads on RCG in the battery/charger forum, and while researching some new 6S packs, I found some info about the "branding" of some of the packs. According to the thread, Gens Ace/Tattu, Pulse, and Glaciers are all manufactured by the same factory. There was info on other brands too, but that one caught my eye. Not sure the accuracy of the claim, but it was a well-documented testing thread of large 6S packs that the EDF jet guys were testing/using. My personal experience has been that the Gens Ace 25C rated batteries were very good, and I've heard good things about the Glaciers too. Both of these, for the price point, are quite good. The ones that were best-rated on that thread, however, are the Turnigy Graphenes, at least in larger sizes (they said small, sub 1500-ish Graphenes weren't any better than others). The Graphenes were on par or outperforming much higher-dollar packs, FWIW
3D wannabe

"Well, you can't scale down the air molecules that it's flying on,... so keep that in mind." 3dRookie
"Takes a day to learn and a lifetime to master, always something new to learn or refine" AD3D
(3D, DLG or cunnilingus?)
wyo69cowboy
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:29 pm

I have Glaciers and VH Elites. I like them both a lot.
ProBro #282
ProLife ProBro
Straightup
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:54 am

JAG why do you have your timer on a switch? You can set it to your throttle and is the better choice because then you don't have to worry about forgetting to activate your timer. That way also with your electric setup if you pull the throttle all the way back to zero the timer stops counting down as well.
President of Chrisy Poos Kit Emoprium "The Leader in Quality Cut Short Kits at Hooks Pricing"

Glitter55, mojo40, Big Tiddy 55cc, VH Giles202. Stashed stix60, stix50, stix46, madyak40

BalsaDust
Pro Bro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:31 am

BalsaDust wrote:JAG why do you have your timer on a switch? You can set it to your throttle and is the better choice because then you don't have to worry about forgetting to activate your timer. That way also with your electric setup if you pull the throttle all the way back to zero the timer stops counting down as well.

Well I started doing that on my DX6 because I was tired of hearing the radio say "Timer On", "Timer Off", "Timer On". But I like it on a switch. I know even if I fly easy I should be coming down with a good voltage on the battery.

But I guess what I thought was a good voltage to come down at, really wasn't. Since all my backs have been going bad.
Sponsored Pilot
JAG
Pro Bro

Previous

Return to Electric, The ProBro Way